View Poll Results: Do you Think OS3 IS COMING TO THE PlayBook?

Voters
108. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

48 44.44%
  • No

60 55.56%
    Do you think it is coming?
    03-28-12 07:28 AM
    The next major update will most likely OS 10 as they have stated. Sometime this fall.
    Scotter75 likes this.
    03-28-12 07:50 AM
    I think they will do what they did with OS 2 and hold off on major features until the major release (BB10). I really hope we can get some improvements and features before then, for my own benefit, but also to show progression in BB10 development. I think they could hold back some major features and UI changes for BB10, but having a continual stream of features and improvements along the way would demonstrate RIM's commitment to us PB owners.
    Puddin13 and SFWriter like this.
    03-28-12 08:00 AM
    We will see an upgrade or two in the 2.0 family and then next will be OS10.
    03-28-12 08:02 AM
    I personally think there will be a OS3.0 update before BB10's release. IMO....there's some "things" that need to be addressed with OS2.0 and it would take a major update to correct some of these "problems" ........IMO
    03-28-12 08:07 AM
    We will get a minor 3.0 upgrade when BB10 is released then a 3.1 major upgrade shortly after BB10 hits the streets. I am a firm believer in your his since mostly all those who were leaving BlackBerry are gone and the hardcore supports are still here. Now BlackBerry can work on what's important to its users instead of catering to the masses who need apps for everything. Long Live BlackBerry!
    03-28-12 08:08 AM
    More likely to see a 2.1 upgrade soon, then maybe 2.2 or something similar (2.x.x) if we are lucky, but not an OS3, before OS10 hits.
    momma003 likes this.
    03-28-12 08:17 AM
    PB OS3 more probably 2nd half of the year, which includes some 3D apps from TAT and BBM integration with playbook video chat, PB OS3 is required for BB10 not PB OS2
    03-28-12 08:20 AM
    Do you think it is coming?
    Not after tomorrow's earnings call. I expect some very bad news.
    03-28-12 09:34 AM
    BB10 for tablets won't be available until 2013. I'd expect we'll see it pushed to 2nd Gen and newly released 3rd Gen Playbooks. It is my opinion that we will NOT see BB10 on our 1st Gen Playbooks. We will, hopefully, see one more major update for our Playbooks and that will be that. Will it be called OS3? I'll vote yes.
    03-28-12 09:40 AM
    I think they need something to announce at BlackBerry World. As I doubt they'll have BB10 phones by then, that leaves the PlayBook. Therefore I think it's most likely that will either be OS3 or PlayBook 2.
    03-28-12 10:02 AM
    They have said playbook will not get bb10 until some time after the phones are released so yes I think we will see os3 shortly before the phone release to hold us off until they get bb10 playbook ready.
    03-28-12 10:57 AM
    My answer is YES but not to current Playbook...

- Charles
    03-28-12 12:05 PM
    I can't understand why people could possibly think that the current PB *WON'T* get the next gen OS. I really, really don't get it! The hardware is still more than good enough.
    03-28-12 12:49 PM
    There will be an update tomorrow..........a bridge new bridge update just released, so that only means one thing
    nyland and francois626 like this.
    03-28-12 12:52 PM
    I can't understand why people could possibly think that the current PB *WON'T* get the next gen OS. I really, really don't get it! The hardware is still more than good enough.
    I agree. It's almost silly to me to think this first gen playbook can't handle bb10 os. I'm quite sure it can and will.
    03-28-12 12:58 PM
    There will be an update tomorrow..........a bridge new bridge update just released, so that only means one thing
    Idk about that. It was a one number increase for 7.1 only.

If no update comes for playbook I wouldn't be surprised.
    03-28-12 01:01 PM
    Idk about that. It was a one number increase for 7.1 only.

If no update comes for playbook I wouldn't be surprised.

Lol i was just talking so the op can hush lol
    03-28-12 01:05 PM
    BlackBerry PlayBook Tablet OS 3.0 will be the same version whatever its official name of the next generation smartphone operating system presumably BlackBerry OS 10 (BBOS10 or BB10). Seriously, this company needs to rethink its choice of name for the software platform before people just assume BB10 is another updated JavaME release. Does anyone in the senior management team care about the future of Research In Motion or are you doing everything possible to become an MBA case study in the rise and fall of an innovative technology creator?
    03-28-12 01:09 PM
    The new bridge update is for improvements between 7.1 and app world. So RIM says.
    03-28-12 01:10 PM
    RIM has already come out and said that OS 10 will be coming to ALL Playbooks, so I dont get why so many people keep saying it wont...
    Bobcat665, diegonei and EricB1968 like this.
    03-28-12 01:12 PM
    RIM has already come out and said that OS 10 will be coming to ALL Playbooks, so I dont get why so many people keep saying it wont...
    Probably because it's hard to know what RIM is really doing any more. I've been a staunch supporter for years & am starting to lose faith. Hoping they come thru with this one.
    SFWriter and CairnsRock like this.
    03-28-12 01:20 PM
    Here is my thinking and of course it's just my opinion. I'm going to wager that all the BB10 phones, yes even the low end Curves, are going to be more powerful then the this current gen Playbook. The Curves are going to be at least 3rd Gen CPU/GPU SOCs @ 1.2Ghz or higher and 1GB of RAM. If they are not they are DOA. The Bolds and Torches are going to be even more powerful. If BB10 is optimized to run well on these phones then it isn't going to run very well on our current Playbooks 2nd Gen CPU/GPU running at 1Ghz. Of course I could be all wrong. We'll know a year from now.
    03-28-12 01:31 PM
    Here is my thinking and of course it's just my opinion. I'm going to wager that all the BB10 phones, yes even the low end Curves, are going to be more powerful then the this current gen Playbook. The Curves are going to be at least 3rd Gen CPU/GPU SOCs @ 1.2Ghz or higher and 1GB of RAM. If they are not they are DOA. The Bolds and Torches are going to be even more powerful. If BB10 is optimized to run well on these phones then it isn't going to run very well on our current Playbooks 2nd Gen CPU/GPU running at 1Ghz. Of course I could be all wrong. We'll know a year from now.
    I'm still not buying it. It would be a PR disaster if BB 10 (or whatever it's called) isn't released for the PB.

1.2 GHz vs 1 GHz? What would be the big difference? Of course the next devices are going to be at least somewhat more powerful BUT I don't see such a massive and fundamental change in the software and/or hardware architecture from this point forward - nothing like the difference between BB7 and PlayBook...
    03-28-12 01:43 PM
    We'll know a year from now.
    I agree with your timeframe.

RIM have said PB will get BB10 after phones. Phones are due late 2012, which in finest RIM tradition probably means 31st Dec 2012 or even Spring 2013. PB BB10 is due after that... so this time next year sounds good.

RIM could even arrange matters that Playbook gets BB10 on its 2nd birthday.

I can see one update to OS2 soon'ish to fix the more glaring errors (browser crashes, power management, android player freezes), and another one a bit later to fix the things everyone wants (browser bookmark management, folders for videos and pictures, etc)... and then we'll wait for BB10.

OS3 is a myth IMHO.

Everyone at RIM is working on BB10 - probably even Thorsten is coding! - and OS3 (or anything that isn't on the BB10 roadmap) would be a distraction RIM can't afford.
    Last edited by JeepBB; 03-28-12 at 02:16 PM.
    03-28-12 01:47 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD