SEAWARRIOR: can you remember the steps you took to set up the playbook in said pkglot?
    I ordered a 64g off the CAN. Amazon site. When it arrives, I will plug it in so its fully charged. Then we plan to go to Starbucks for free wifi and she can set it up there.
    Its hard for me cause I have wifi and email alreadh, so after both mine were charged up it was easy peasy.
    Also, she has limited cell phone use: ie, no text messaging, so when we tried to set her up, yahoo wanted to text her some code. These are all things I can't help her with cause, lime I said, I've got wifi a d a PC.
    Many thx if you can remember what you did.
    Oooohhhh that sounds like nice phone? Can I haz one pleeze?
    11-15-13 07:08 AM
    SEAWARRIOR: can you remember the steps you took to set up the playbook in said pkglot?
    I ordered a 64g off the CAN. Amazon site. When it arrives, I will plug it in so its fully charged. Then we plan to go to Starbucks for free wifi and she can set it up there.
    Its hard for me cause I have wifi and email alreadh, so after both mine were charged up it was easy peasy.
    Also, she has limited cell phone use: ie, no text messaging, so when we tried to set her up, yahoo wanted to text her some code. These are all things I can't help her with cause, lime I said, I've got wifi a d a PC.
    Many thx if you can remember what you did.
    it's been a year, so i'll try to recall how i did it, you may have to try the steps in varying order,,, it will take up to an hour if the pb is new or needs to update,so have a good charge:
    it was quite simple really, 1st, after power up, i think it takes you to the setup screen & either it searches for wifi, or tells you to connect to a network,,, once connected, the rest is just following the setup prompts,,, hope this helps...
    castoridae likes this.
    11-15-13 11:35 AM
    Oooohhhh that sounds like nice phone? Can I haz one pleeze?
    c'mon mournful wrinkley dude, give 'em a break...
    sad_old_man, Cynycl and castoridae like this.
    11-15-13 11:38 AM
    c'mon mournful wrinkley dude, give 'em a break...
    Compliments will gets you everywhere sailor.

Oh and for my edificasional purposes can you tellz me what handset doeznt have text messaging capabilities? ??????
    Cynycl and SEAWARRIOR like this.
    11-15-13 12:16 PM

Oh and for my edificasional purposes can you tellz me what handset doeznt have text messaging capabilities? ??????
    ok, bNOMt (being a nasty old man today) - she doesn't have cable tv or a PC. Her cell is used for emergency purposes only, so just phone calls, not text services, which probably come at extra cost.
    There are people in the world who don't utilize stuff we do. I didn't ever use text msging. I either used the cell to contact people or to HEAR from them. Mainly cause I hate those tiny buttons on cell phones. I agree w/SEAWARRIOR - give her a break - I'm trying very gently to bring her into the 21st century. Bad, Lep. Bad, bad lep. Go into the corner and stay there for a while
    11-15-13 12:52 PM
    it's been a year, so i'll try to recall how i did it, you may have to try the steps in varying order,,, it will take up to an hour if the pb is new or needs to update,so have a good charge:
    it was quite simple really, 1st, after power up, i think it takes you to the setup screen & either it searches for wifi, or tells you to connect to a network,,, once connected, the rest is just following the setup prompts,,, hope this helps...
    I'm going to get her to try to get an email account with either hotmail, gmail or yahoo from her work computer. I'll use your instructions at Starbucks free wifi. with your advice and JPash's I should be ok.
    thanks so much.
    sad_old_man and SEAWARRIOR like this.
    11-15-13 01:02 PM
    ok, bNOMt (being a nasty old man today) - she doesn't have cable tv or a PC. Her cell is used for emergency purposes only, so just phone calls, not text services, which probably come at extra cost.
    There are people in the world who don't utilize stuff we do. I didn't ever use text msging. I either used the cell to contact people or to HEAR from them. Mainly cause I hate those tiny buttons on cell phones. I agree w/SEAWARRIOR - give her a break - I'm trying very gently to bring her into the 21st century. Bad, Lep. Bad, bad lep. Go into the corner and stay there for a while
    Ok I willz cauze I likes you specially now youz a royal beavers?
    castoridae likes this.
    11-15-13 01:06 PM
    I'm going to get her to try to get an email account with either hotmail, gmail or yahoo from her work computer. I'll use your instructions at Starbucks free wifi. with your advice and JPash's I should be ok.
    thanks so much.
    Don't forgets outlook.com its far more secure than google!
    11-15-13 01:08 PM
    Starbucks wifi may be slower than your home wifi and also is an open system. No reason why you can't do it on your home network which you presumably have a securiy code. In any event use a network that is not going to be interrupted as that might cause problems.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    11-15-13 01:55 PM

i know ppl on budget plans that don't have them,,, it's not so much the phone as it is what an individual wants from their service,,, i.e. if my personal situation gets much worse, i may have to bust out my motorola razor back up & go for the basics...
    sad_old_man and castoridae like this.
    11-15-13 05:39 PM
    i know ppl on budget plans that don't have them,,, it's not so much the phone as it is what an individual wants from their service,,, i.e. if my personal situation gets much worse, i may have to bust out my motorola razor back up & go for the basics...
    Ok please forgive me. It's hard to find an airtime provider in the UK who doesn't give texts free. It's either 500 or unlimited. My youngest son has unlimited calls, unlimited text and unlimited data for $15 per month so that's where I got a little confused. Also I've not tried in the US but in the UK at McDonalds, Starbucks and anywhere else you still need an email address to use their free wifi.
    11-16-13 06:32 AM
    Ok please forgive me. It's hard to find an airtime provider in the UK who doesn't give texts free. It's either 500 or unlimited. My youngest son has unlimited calls, unlimited text and unlimited data for $15 per month so that's where I got a little confused. Also I've not tried in the US but in the UK at McDonalds, Starbucks and anywhere else you still need an email address to use their free wifi.
    WWWOOOWWW!!! wish we had that here on this side o' the pond!!!
    sad_old_man and castoridae like this.
    11-16-13 08:18 PM
    WWWOOOWWW!!! wish we had that here on this side o' the pond!!!
    Nothing is that simple in life unfortunately? We are all this side of the pond with you now and my youngest son didnt quite understand the concept of roaming hence his last bill of $496!

After a prolonged conversation he is now aware of this concept and so far this month he has curtailed his usage to $160!
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    11-17-13 06:59 AM
    Nothing is that simple in life unfortunately? We are all this side of the pond with you now and my youngest son didnt quite understand the concept of roaming hence his last bill of $496!

After a prolonged conversation he is now aware of this concept and so far this month he has curtailed his usage to $160!
    heh, yeah, culture shock can be quite the learning experience...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    11-17-13 12:07 PM
    heh, yeah, culture shock can be quite the learning experience...
    That's what he said funnily enough?
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    11-17-13 12:19 PM
    That's what he said funnily enough?
    obviously a smart man...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    11-17-13 12:40 PM
    obviously a smart man...
    don't now what one of them iz?
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    11-17-13 12:42 PM
    For reasons beyond my comprehension, Canadians pay some of the highest prices in the developed world for cell/internet services. So, there's lots of people that keep very limited, basic services.

Again, because I have email, I don�t know how any of this works for people who don't.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    11-17-13 09:40 PM
    For reasons beyond my comprehension, Canadians pay some of the highest prices in the developed world for cell/internet services. So, there's lots of people that keep very limited, basic services.

Again, because I have email, I don’t know how any of this works for people who don't.
    Deer highness sir royal beavers. As I said I don't know about that strange country you live in but most free wifi in the UK needs some form of ID usually email address when you first use their service. If it's the same for you just register the pb with your email address and then once in setup the pb as normal, might be a bit slow but it will get there. From then on the pb will loginto that free wifi service everytime it picks up a strong enough signal. You just have to suffer the ads that are emailed to you from that company?

Shouldn't tell you this but just make one up..... Throyalbeavernessofcanada.gmail.com will do. Most don't verify the address just use it as a marketing tool.
    castoridae likes this.
    11-18-13 06:33 AM
    Deer highness sir royal beavers. As I said I don't know about that strange country you live in but most free wifi in the UK needs some form of ID usually email address when you first use their service. If it's the same for you just register the pb with your email address and then once in setup the pb as normal, might be a bit slow but it will get there. From then on the pb will loginto that free wifi service everytime it picks up a strong enough signal. You just have to suffer the ads that are emailed to you from that company?

Shouldn't tell you this but just make one up..... Throyalbeavernessofcanada.gmail.com will do. Most don't verify the address just use it as a marketing tool.
    I had zero problems with free wifi this summer when in the UK, but Starbucks had the strongest reception when we were in London.
    I'm going to try to get her to set up an acct this week from her office. If she can't, I shall do your bidding
    sad_old_man likes this.
    11-18-13 06:50 AM
    I had zero problems with free wifi this summer when in the UK, but Starbucks had the strongest reception when we were in London.
    I'm going to try to get her to set up an acct this week from her office. If she can't, I shall do your bidding
    Here's a thought your worshipfulness highness. Why don't you set her up an outlook email account for her through your website browser?
    11-18-13 06:59 AM
    Here's a thought your worshipfulness highness. Why don't you set her up an outlook email account for her through your website browser?
    How?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    11-18-13 08:10 AM
    How?
    Wot?..............
    11-18-13 08:31 AM
    How?
    Check your pm royal beaver?
    11-18-13 09:02 AM
    So my friend's playbook arrived. I turned it on and plugged it in. I filled in new email address and time, but that's all. I hope it charges without completing the whole setup.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    11-18-13 10:13 PM
131 ... 3456