Ah ha its gateway that Rogers supplied me with, now I remember. I had regular Internet with them and then I got the wifi & that's when they gave me the gateway thingy.

So what does tgus mean for my friend starting out?

She has no computing devices at all at home and not even her own email address except her work one.

PS:. she will not be able to utulize any set up via her office (govt).
    Pssst beaver, it's called a router not a modem?

ps YES SHE WILL IF HER SECURITY CLEARANCE IS HIGH ENOUGH AND SHE TALKS NICELY TO THE NETWORK MANAGER!
    11-08-13 10:28 AM
    Ah ha its gateway that Rogers supplied me with, now I remember. I had regular Internet with them and then I got the wifi & that's when they gave me the gateway thingy.

So what does tgus mean for my friend starting out?

She has no computing devices at all at home and not even her own email address except her work one.

PS:. she will not be able to utulize any set up via her office (govt).
    I guess if she can afford the monthly "rental" fee, I would just let Rogers set it up. Then she has unlimited ability to complain when it doesn't work. LOL. If she can't afford the rental fee, talk with Rogers to see if she can buy the equipment and have it ready for the tech to install. If Rogers flat out refuses, go to another provider. There probably will be a one time installation fee. She will get a Rogers email addy with the service. You can sign up anywhere these days for free email accounts (outlook.com, gmail.com, yahoo.com, aol.com, etc.) so that is no problem.
    11-08-13 10:34 AM
    no need. 5 minute call to retention department and they'll give you a recurring monthly credit for the rental cost of the modem. Best of both worlds.. If it breaks/becomes obsolete you trade it in for a new one but don't have to pay rent for it every month.
    What? I just call Rogers retention dept and say what? Stop charging every month for this piece of junk, 'cause I've probably paid for it several times over' and they just say, oh, ok
    11-08-13 01:09 PM
    I guess if she can afford the monthly "rental" fee, I would just let Rogers set it up. Then she has unlimited ability to complain when it doesn't work. LOL. If she can't afford the rental fee, talk with Rogers to see if she can buy the equipment and have it ready for the tech to install. If Rogers flat out refuses, go to another provider. There probably will be a one time installation fee. She will get a Rogers email addy with the service. You can sign up anywhere these days for free email accounts (outlook.com, gmail.com, yahoo.com, aol.com, etc.) so that is no problem.
    its not what she can afford, but trying to get her the best option.
    11-08-13 01:11 PM
    Please move this post to your own thread. BTW: its too long so I didn't read it.
    why when it was an honest reply to a genuine query as to whether it was suitable to recommend a device some consider obsolete.

if anything I condensed half the damn forum into a single post.

why start a new thread so someone like you can come along and **** all over it when there's no need.

if you don't like posts you have to stick your tongue out to read then stick to twitter.
    Banco likes this.
    11-08-13 01:28 PM
    why when it was an honest reply to a genuine query as to whether it was suitable to recommend a device some consider obsolete.

if anything I condensed half the damn forum into a single post.

why start a new thread so someone like you can come along and **** all over it when there's no need.

if you don't like posts you have to stick your tongue out to read then stick to twitter.
    I honestly don't know if you're a troll or just very unaware, but this is my thread, and some very knowledgeable people are giving me good advice.

so please go haunt someone else. Thanks
    11-08-13 01:48 PM
    What? I just call Rogers retention dept and say what? Stop charging every month for this piece of junk, 'cause I've probably paid for it several times over' and they just say, oh, ok
    I've found that being a little more subtle tends to work better but basically, yes. Call retention and tell them that you have seen offers for the competitor and are concerned that you might be paying too much for your service(s) and they can do all sorts of wonderful things for you. We get our HD PVR rent free, our modem rent free, approximately $100/mnth off the overall cost of our services and the odd little perk here and there. That being said, my account has been with Rogers since 1978 and we have 2 cell phones, home phone, internet, cable TV and home security through Rogers but getting them to credit back the modem rental should be no problem whatsoever. If they say no. thank them, hang up and call back in an hour or so, speak to someone different (make sure you have asked the customer service rep to put you through to retention) and try again.

Just recently I got them to waive my wife's $80 early upgrade fee to upgrade from her curve to a Z10 spent about 10 minutes on the phone with retention.
    11-08-13 02:02 PM
    I've found that being a little more subtle tends to work better but basically, yes. Call retention and tell them that you have seen offers for the competitor and are concerned that you might be paying too much for your service(s) and they can do all sorts of wonderful things for you. We get our HD PVR rent free, our modem rent free, approximately $100/mnth off the overall cost of our services and the odd little perk here and there. That being said, my account has been with Rogers since 1978 and we have 2 cell phones, home phone, internet, cable TV and home security through Rogers but getting them to credit back the modem rental should be no problem whatsoever. If they say no. thank them, hang up and call back in an hour or so, speak to someone different (make sure you have asked the customer service rep to put you through to retention) and try again.

Just recently I got them to waive my wife's $80 early upgrade fee to upgrade from her curve to a Z10 spent about 10 minutes on the phone with retention.

oh you are very good! I have my land phone, cell, tv and internet w/th them, a d they have me down as a customer since the '90s (its way longer, but not for all services) so it should be ok.

I know people who do this constanrly, but I've never been very successful with it.
    But for something like this that's very specific, it should be fine.
    Thanks so much.
    11-08-13 02:24 PM
    oh you are very good! I have my land phone, cell, tv and internet w/th them, a d they have me down as a customer since the '90s (its way longer, but not for all services) so it should be ok.

I know people who do this constanrly, but I've never been very successful with it.
    But for something like this that's very specific, it should be fine.
    Thanks so much.
    Any time! I call them up at least once a year and see what retention plans they have and where they can save me money. They generaly have me sign on to stay with them for the year but I don't really have any intention of leaving so I have no issue with that (especially if they keep giving me great savings)!
    11-08-13 02:43 PM
    Any time! I call them up at least once a year and see what retention plans they have and where they can save me money. They generaly have me sign on to stay with them for the year but I don't really have any intention of leaving so I have no issue with that (especially if they keep giving me great savings)!
    I agree, I love to hate them, but I honestly think they're better than most of the other games in town.
    11-08-13 03:07 PM
    I checked out comwave one time for cheaper phone rates. You have to use their modem and only use certain types. I know you can get your own router instead of renting, I have to check this out - if they're expensive there's not much point.
    Personal-class routers range from 10 to 200 dollars. I would go with no, as long as you don't need a gigabit wireless router, they are cheap.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-13 05:59 PM
    Again, I would have to check the Amazon.ca site, not the US one and the prices will be way higher - try it yourself and compare prices on the 2 sites - remember we get blocked from buying an item if its for sale on the .ca site. Also Canadians pay the highest prices for all wire services (phone etc) than any other free world country and only about 3 companies own the waves here.
    yeah, noticed that after i posted, you were up there...
    castoridae likes this.
    11-08-13 08:55 PM
    The ZyXEL MWR102 is listed at $34.97 in Amazon.ca and is listed at $24.97 in US Amazon. I have been using this small travel router continuosly for about 16 months as my only router and it has surprising range. There is no need to get a high power, expensive router for simple uses unless one has to cover a large area.
    castoridae likes this.
    11-09-13 12:00 AM
    The ZyXEL MWR102 is listed at $34.97 in Amazon.ca and is listed at $24.97 in US Amazon. I have been using this small travel router continuosly for about 16 months as my only router and it has surprising range. There is no need to get a high power, expensive router for simple uses unless one has to cover a large area.
    wow, I just watched a youtube video on this. So do you have to have it physically connected to the playbook, or to a computer - how does it work?
    11-09-13 05:46 PM
    wow, I just watched a youtube video on this. So do you have to have it physically connected to the playbook, or to a computer - how does it work?
    It is connected to my modem which is a Motorola Surfboard 6121 and works like any other router. I bought the Motorola modem because Comcast was charging me $7 per month rent for an inferior modem. The ZyXEL router supplies the wireless signal for two HP laptops and whichever tablets ( HP Touchpad, Nexus 7 and Playbook). I am using it on g with 65 Mbps rate. Close to it I have a signal strength of -38 dBm while about 45 feet away through two walls and some metal cabinets it drops to perhaps -80 dBm which is enough to do some surfing and emailing but probably not for video play.

This could be a good choice for a relatively inexpensive starter router if you don't have to cover a large area or go through too many walls. No point in getting a super fast router if you are going to be surfing the internet with a relatively low connection speed. The router comes with a password on the label on the bottom and is easy to set up with WPA2 security. As I recall I didn't need a computer to set it up.
    Last edited by jpash549; 11-10-13 at 01:32 AM.
    11-10-13 12:00 AM
    So, I got my friend a 64g playbook yesterday on Amazon.ca for CAN $194.97.
    Of course an extra $30 for the much hated GST/HST and shipping $13.25 it added up, but she was happy with the price.

Two things:
    1) I tried to get her set up with a yahoo mail account, using my playbook but it was a no go. It wanted a cellphone number to send her some pin or something. She has a cell, but no text msg service on it.
    2) when the playbook arrives, should I power it up, but NOT connect to my wifi ('cause it will register as my 3rd playbook?
    Should I post 2 separate threads for these questions?
    Thx
    11-13-13 12:01 PM
    So, I got my friend a 64g playbook yesterday on Amazon.ca for CAN $194.97.
    Of course an extra $30 for the much hated GST/HST and shipping $13.25 it added up, but she was happy with the price.

Two things:
    1) I tried to get her set up with a yahoo mail account, using my playbook but it was a no go. It wanted a cellphone number to send her some pin or something. She has a cell, but no text msg service on it.
    2) when the playbook arrives, should I power it up, but NOT connect to my wifi ('cause it will register as my 3rd playbook?
    Should I post 2 separate threads for these questions?
    Thx
    Posteded as many treads as you likes beaver. I likes youz I doez!
    castoridae likes this.
    11-13-13 01:04 PM
    ps you do ask some daft questionz for a tekki?
    11-13-13 01:07 PM
    You should be able to set it up for her using your wireless but using an email account that she has because you want it to have her BB ID. You can get an email account from Google to use for this purpose (US any how) or perhaps one from her carrier if she prefers. It will not register as your third PB unless you put your BB I'D on it.
    sad_old_man and castoridae like this.
    11-13-13 01:21 PM
    ps you do ask some daft questionz for a tekki?
    that's cause I'm a trekki, not a tekki (well not officially, although I have been a user since punch cards were tekki)
    sad_old_man likes this.
    11-13-13 01:27 PM
    that's cause I'm a trekki, not a tekki (well not officially, although I have been a user since punch cards were tekki)
    I iz gonna miss your sillyness beavers I iz.......
    11-13-13 01:50 PM
    I iz gonna miss your sillyness beavers I iz.......
    Wot?
    11-13-13 03:11 PM
    no,,, i set up my playbook in a 7/11 parking lot, , & didn't have wifi @ the time,,, once her pb is set up, she can bridge (w/ bb phone) or tether, (non bb phone), to get online,,, it won't be the fastest set up, but it'll work,,, having wifi is the key, not having a pc,,, as far as backups are concerned, maybe being the good friend you seem to be, you can store her backups on your machine...
    SEAWARRIOR: can you remember the steps you took to set up the playbook in said pkglot?
    I ordered a 64g off the CAN. Amazon site. When it arrives, I will plug it in so its fully charged. Then we plan to go to Starbucks for free wifi and she can set it up there.
    Its hard for me cause I have wifi and email alreadh, so after both mine were charged up it was easy peasy.
    Also, she has limited cell phone use: ie, no text messaging, so when we tried to set her up, yahoo wanted to text her some code. These are all things I can't help her with cause, lime I said, I've got wifi a d a PC.
    Many thx if you can remember what you did.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    11-14-13 06:28 PM
    You can set up her playbook over any reasonably good wifi but part of the setup is establishing a Blackberry ID. For that you use an email address. See Blackberry Knowledge Base for more information. You can start with this reference.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl
    castoridae likes this.
    11-14-13 11:34 PM
    You may also wish to check KB26228 for initial setup info. A lot of other information is also included under help.

http://btsc.webapps.blackberry.com/b...ListHelperImpl
    castoridae likes this.
    11-15-13 12:26 AM
131 ... 23456