When opening the box and having charged the Playbook it obviously needs to be switched on. As soon as it is switched on it looks for a wifi connection so that it can update and register with Blackberry. If no wifi is available then it will never work. Once the wifi has been used to register and update then there is really no further need for wifi if you want it to be for films and ebooks. But then these also first need to be installed. Films via PC and apps via 'app world', so connection now and again for wifi is a necessity. If you want to contact her then wifi is useful for 'video chat'.

Hope this comment helps.

Regards

Ross
    I have 2, so I'm aware of how they work. Like I said, she will be using email, surfing, etc,
    11-07-13 04:48 AM
    Castoridae. Can't see a problem with the Playbook as to what your family members requires. Go for it. Nice to see support for the Playbook. It's a great piece of hardware. Shame BB does not feel the same.

Regards

Ross
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    11-07-13 06:32 AM
    IP providers like rogers require you to use only certain routers and rent them to you.
    Yes, the ISP providers do have certain equipment they recommend but if you press them, they will tell you and you can buy it outright. Obviously, the standard rental spiel gets them added revenue and most people won't question it. I suppose you can think of it as "insurance" as they will probably swap out the rental no charge if a problem arises. My experience is buying the modem/router is low risk as I have never had one fail. It is usually the service is down or the router just needs a reboot.
    Carl Estes and castoridae like this.
    11-07-13 07:56 AM
    I have a confession: I don't do backups - never have!
    you are forgiven, my son,,, your pennance, say 3 hail mary's & cleanse your soul w/ a bottle of capt. morgan...
    castoridae and Carl Estes like this.
    11-07-13 02:57 PM
    you are forgiven, my son,,, your pennance, say 3 hail mary's & cleanse your soul w/ a bottle of capt. morgan...
    Oh, I've done both of thoes - many many times
    SEAWARRIOR and Carl Estes like this.
    11-07-13 04:38 PM
    Yes, the ISP providers do have certain equipment they recommend but if you press them, they will tell you and you can buy it outright. Obviously, the standard rental spiel gets them added revenue and most people won't question it. I suppose you can think of it as "insurance" as they will probably swap out the rental no charge if a problem arises. My experience is buying the modem/router is low risk as I have never had one fail. It is usually the service is down or the router just needs a reboot.
    This will be my next item search - for myself
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-07-13 04:40 PM
    There should be no isp mandated routers- how would they even know if you're using a router or not. Internet modems may be another story
    11-07-13 04:54 PM
    There should be no isp mandated routers- how would they even know if you're using a router or not. Internet modems may be another story
    You're not in Canada are you?
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-07-13 06:43 PM
    You're not in Canada are you?
    doesn't matter, trust me pacoman is right, only the modem not a router.... think about it
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-07-13 09:17 PM
    Sometimes a combination modem-router is supplied.
    11-07-13 09:27 PM
    they ain't cheap, but fast, future-proof, (/ac capable, the next standard being deployed), secure, & ez to setup...
    RT-AC66U - Networking - ASUS
    Amazon.com: ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router: Computers & Accessories
    11-08-13 02:17 AM
    mine's inline behind the modem, between that & pc,,, dual firewall...
    11-08-13 02:23 AM
    I have to admit to being a playbook newbie, the missus was on about a tablet so she can access office files and dropbox without lugging a laptop around - so I agreed to research the matter the tesco hudl is making a big splash while being a decent price for a 16gb quad core with an expansion slot. its nearly half the price and better specced than the kindles but while rooting around ebay I noticed how cheap playbooks are now a year after they sold a hundred thousand odd in UK during the firesale.

So at 60 pounds a piece I got two for the price of one hudl (as if I don't understand it there's little hope for her) with more storage but a few niggles which I am getting around one by one.

For me it does what I want without issue, I can surf, do email if I want, listen to music and watch massive amounts of youtube documentaries (which I connect to at night to listen to and help me sleep) a week in and I've worked out side loading but it would be nice to be able to tinker around android so I may get myself another to root and experiment with. any more than that then I have laptops. that said the app store is terrible with too much overlap and not enough 'usefull' apps ported across - if someone could rewrite a skype of kindle app and charge for it I'm sure there would be enough takers to make it worthwhile - like the 99 cent authors on kindle who find they can make millions as no one misses a dollar.

I'm even thinking of getting one for my 70 year old dad who gave up on pcs and laptops as they were getting more complicated yet he still pays for an aol broadband connection in case any of us turn up which is nice but a bit bonkers. I particularly like the video chat app which is super simple and once I work out how I can remote load his device up with movies for when he goes away the concept will be fruited. I keep threatening to big brother his house so I can keep an eye on him.

as a first step I reckon the playbook is ideal - it isn't that far behind tech wise as while the new machines are quad core the bulk of sales this xmas will be cheapo dual cores bashed out in chinese factories to satisfy the masses. having used new and old machines over the years I find the newest super fast machines aren't that much better as the software lag generally ruins the latest wizzo bit of kit. I ran windows 7 on a P4 laptop for 2 years until I eventually upgraded. If it works I will keep it going until it doesn't. the playbook is well built and well specced for 95% of users needs and I reckon has a few more years life in it.

as layman IMO the fixed OS means you cant really mess it up, for the amount your friend is going to use it then finding someone to share a connection with would be the most cost effective unless she tethered it to a data plan on a phone. It can be set up and she probably will never have need to do anything else to it until the battery dies of old age. the less it can be messed with the more chance it has of surviving. I know someone who was still using an old 8088 ibm clone until the mfm drive finally gave up the ghost last year. he was happy and doesn't wan't to uptech so I set him up a old P3 thinkpad with windows 98 and dos.

on the wider debate, going by how cheap it is to change specs now and upgrade the basic designs now they should have kept the machines going and produced the playbook in different flavours to meet all tastes - selling them as a seperate android tablet could have paid for the blackberry version to grow, going for amazon instead of apple might have paid off. meanwhile this xmas the public will be buying each other super cheap chinese android tablets which cost less than 50 dollars to make and yet will be perfectly useable for those wanting a step on the ladder. most will never get beyond facebook and candy crush - something blackberry missed out of it's flawed plan. a proper dual bootable OS upgrade would so wonders. Apple stuff sold because it convinced people that their stuff just worked out of the packet which to be fair it did, even if they are usually a year or two behind cutting edge.
    11-08-13 05:21 AM
    I have to admit to being a playbook newbie, the missus was on about a tablet so she can access office files and dropbox without lugging a laptop around - so I agreed to research the matter the tesco hudl is making a big splash while being a decent price for a 16gb quad core with an expansion slot. its nearly half the price and better specced than the kindles but while rooting around ebay I noticed how cheap playbooks are now a year after they sold a hundred thousand odd in UK during the firesale.

So at 60 pounds a piece I got two for the price of one hudl (as if I don't understand it there's little hope for her) with more storage but a few niggles which I am getting around one by one.

For me it does what I want without issue, I can surf, do email if I want, listen to music and watch massive amounts of youtube documentaries (which I connect to at night to listen to and help me sleep) a week in and I've worked out side loading but it would be nice to be able to tinker around android so I may get myself another to root and experiment with. any more than that then I have laptops. that said the app store is terrible with too much overlap and not enough 'usefull' apps ported across - if someone could rewrite a skype of kindle app and charge for it I'm sure there would be enough takers to make it worthwhile - like the 99 cent authors on kindle who find they can make millions as no one misses a dollar.

I'm even thinking of getting one for my 70 year old dad who gave up on pcs and laptops as they were getting more complicated yet he still pays for an aol broadband connection in case any of us turn up which is nice but a bit bonkers. I particularly like the video chat app which is super simple and once I work out how I can remote load his device up with movies for when he goes away the concept will be fruited. I keep threatening to big brother his house so I can keep an eye on him.

as a first step I reckon the playbook is ideal - it isn't that far behind tech wise as while the new machines are quad core the bulk of sales this xmas will be cheapo dual cores bashed out in chinese factories to satisfy the masses. having used new and old machines over the years I find the newest super fast machines aren't that much better as the software lag generally ruins the latest wizzo bit of kit. I ran windows 7 on a P4 laptop for 2 years until I eventually upgraded. If it works I will keep it going until it doesn't. the playbook is well built and well specced for 95% of users needs and I reckon has a few more years life in it.

as layman IMO the fixed OS means you cant really mess it up, for the amount your friend is going to use it then finding someone to share a connection with would be the most cost effective unless she tethered it to a data plan on a phone. It can be set up and she probably will never have need to do anything else to it until the battery dies of old age. the less it can be messed with the more chance it has of surviving. I know someone who was still using an old 8088 ibm clone until the mfm drive finally gave up the ghost last year. he was happy and doesn't wan't to uptech so I set him up a old P3 thinkpad with windows 98 and dos.

on the wider debate, going by how cheap it is to change specs now and upgrade the basic designs now they should have kept the machines going and produced the playbook in different flavours to meet all tastes - selling them as a seperate android tablet could have paid for the blackberry version to grow, going for amazon instead of apple might have paid off. meanwhile this xmas the public will be buying each other super cheap chinese android tablets which cost less than 50 dollars to make and yet will be perfectly useable for those wanting a step on the ladder. most will never get beyond facebook and candy crush - something blackberry missed out of it's flawed plan. a proper dual bootable OS upgrade would so wonders. Apple stuff sold because it convinced people that their stuff just worked out of the packet which to be fair it did, even if they are usually a year or two behind cutting edge.
    Please move this post to your own thread. BTW: its too long so I didn't read it.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-08-13 05:56 AM
    mine's inline behind the modem, between that & pc,,, dual firewall...
    I checked out comwave one time for cheaper phone rates. You have to use their modem and only use certain types. I know you can get your own router instead of renting, I have to check this out - if they're expensive there's not much point.
    11-08-13 06:09 AM
    they ain't cheap, but fast, future-proof, (/ac capable, the next standard being deployed), secure, & ez to setup...
    RT-AC66U - Networking - ASUS
    Amazon.com: ASUS RT-AC66U Dual-Band Wireless-AC1750 Gigabit Router: Computers & Accessories
    Again, I would have to check the Amazon.ca site, not the US one and the prices will be way higher - try it yourself and compare prices on the 2 sites - remember we get blocked from buying an item if its for sale on the .ca site. Also Canadians pay the highest prices for all wire services (phone etc) than any other free world country and only about 3 companies own the waves here.
    11-08-13 06:16 AM
    Sometimes a combination modem-router is supplied.
    I think it's just a router that Rogers installed, but it honestly can't remember. I have seen this model for sale, sometimes as a combo if you're buying a piece of equipment with it.
    11-08-13 06:23 AM
    I think it's just a router that Rogers installed, but it honestly can't remember. I have seen this model for sale, sometimes as a combo if you're buying a piece of equipment with it.
    No, you have to have a modem AND router. There are two kinds of modems, DSL and cable. Well, really three if you count the old dial-up modems. The modem should be included in the service and you can create a wired connection to a device to provide internet service. No one can sell you a service without it being usable on a basic level. The router is the WIFI (optional wireless networking part), which they may make you rent. Or as jpash549 said, the combination modem-router (e.g. "gateway") is supplied. There is usually nothing special about this equipment, e.g. they do not manufacture it themselves, but it may be branded due to a contract agreement with the manufacturer. So renting it is pointless unless you want the support security (insurance).
    Carl Estes and castoridae like this.
    11-08-13 07:32 AM
    Actually, you don't necessarily need a router at all. If you have a single PC in your house and no other devices that can access the internet, then there is probably no need for a router. Thus, if Rogers installed anything, it was likely a modem, which you have to have to access the internet.
    11-08-13 07:43 AM
    No, you have to have a modem AND router. There are two kinds of modems, DSL and cable. Well, really three if you count the old dial-up modems. The modem should be included in the service and you can create a wired connection to a device to provide internet service. No one can sell you a service without it being usable on a basic level. The router is the WIFI (optional wireless networking part), which they may make you rent. Or as jpash549 said, the combination modem-router (e.g. "gateway") is supplied. There is usually nothing special about this equipment, e.g. they do not manufacture it themselves, but it may be branded due to a contract agreement with the manufacturer. So renting it is pointless unless you want the support security (insurance).
    Some boxes are modem/router combos. For example, I have the TP-Link W8961ND, which is a combo DSL modem and wireless/wired router.

Just clarifying that you don't necessarily need the two boxes, though probably it is better to go that route.
    11-08-13 07:44 AM
    Some boxes are modem/router combos. For example, I have the TP-Link W8961ND, which is a combo DSL modem and wireless/wired router.

Just clarifying that you don't necessarily need the two boxes, though probably it is better to go that route.
    Yeah, I guess I should have clarified that the modem is the "internet" piece and the router is the "networking" piece and can be wired or wireless. So you really don't need the router if you don't want to share the internet connection.
    11-08-13 07:49 AM
    Ah ha its gateway that Rogers supplied me with, now I remember. I had regular Internet with them and then I got the wifi & that's when they gave me the gateway thingy.

So what does tgus mean for my friend starting out?

She has no computing devices at all at home and not even her own email address except her work one.

PS:. she will not be able to utulize any set up via her office (govt).
    11-08-13 09:42 AM
    IP providers like rogers require you to use only certain routers and rent them to you.
    I have a broadband modem through Rogers that has a hard wired and wireless router built in. I dissabled the wireless router and run it through my own. You can use any router/switch that suits your purposes on their network.
    11-08-13 10:17 AM
    no need. 5 minute call to retention department and they'll give you a recurring monthly credit for the rental cost of the modem. Best of both worlds.. If it breaks/becomes obsolete you trade it in for a new one but don't have to pay rent for it every month.
    11-08-13 10:20 AM
    Ah ha its gateway that Rogers supplied me with, now I remember. I had regular Internet with them and then I got the wifi & that's when they gave me the gateway thingy.

So what does tgus mean for my friend starting out?

She has no computing devices at all at home and not even her own email address except her work one.

PS:. she will not be able to utulize any set up via her office (govt).
    She should be able to get the tech doing the install to set it up for her (make sure when she orders it, she informs the person on the phone that she doesn't have a computer so the tech will need one) and then most issues can be fixed by simply unplugging the modem and plugging it back in again (as their current modems come with a built in wireless router). She will need to be ready to set up the wireless network though (i.e. have a name in mind for it and a password) while the tech is there but as default, they offer to install it for you or make you sign a waiver section that you installed and set it up on your own.
    11-08-13 10:28 AM
131 12345 ...