Is selling your friend (who knows nothing about tech) on an obsolete platform the right thing to do? She probably won't understand what it means to buy into a dying platform. If she understood and agreed to the implications it is one thing, but she probably has no idea that there will never be any updates or new programs. She would probably be better off with a cheap laptop or an ipad. Just my $0.02
    11-06-13 01:29 PM
    The PC in this case would only be used for setting up wifi-nothing to do with the Playbook. Essentially she can take the playbook out of the box and start using it without a computer.
    No, she would want Internet access
    11-06-13 01:30 PM
    Is selling your friend (who knows nothing about tech) on an obsolete platform the right thing to do? She probably won't understand what it means to buy into a dying platform. If she understood and agreed to the implications it is one thing, but she probably has no idea that there will never be any updates or new programs. She would probably be better off with a cheap laptop or an ipad. Just my $0.02
    Its still the only tablet I want - but that's a whole other thread
    11-06-13 01:32 PM
    I'm with Bolo. Don't tell her to get a Playbook.it would be unfair. Tell her to get an iPad with 3g and be done with it.

Sent from my iPad
    11-06-13 01:34 PM
    These days you can store and transfer essential files in the cloud (e.g. Box or Skydrive). You would need a PC to backup and sideload. Might be too techy for her?

Just a thought. The new Kindle Fire HDX comes with a "personal assistant"...I think they call it a "mayday" button. Basically 24/7 support. Might want to check that out if she is not computer savvy.
    $250-$500.00 on the Canadian site - not worth it, plus she would want me to help her which I can only do if she has a playbook
    11-06-13 01:37 PM
    I'm with Bolo. Don't tell her to get a Playbook.it would be unfair. Tell her to get an iPad with 3g and be done with it.

Sent from my iPad
    He's planning on keeping the relationship strickly plutonic
    Carl Estes and sad_old_man like this.
    11-06-13 01:37 PM
    I bought my Mum a Playbook over a year ago and she's loving it. My Mum's not computer literate at all (she's never got on with the mouse as a concept) and yet she's able to email happily on her PB. Mum already has wifi at home (free from the phone company) so she's just using that and getting on famously. If she breaks it by accident, it won't matter either. Fantastic bit of kit and my Mum loves it.
    This is exactly why I think the playbook is the best for my friend.
    So she was able to 'connect' because its phone internet?
    sad_old_man likes this.
    11-06-13 01:41 PM
    This is exactly why I think the playbook is the best for my friend.
    So she was able to 'connect' because its phone internet?
    Pssssssst beaver.....take no notice of the baby.......I thinks your great.........
    castoridae likes this.
    11-06-13 01:52 PM

Sent from my iPad
    Just to clarify - I am posting to the PLAYBOOK forum, not the iPad forum. That's because I prefer my playbook.
    11-06-13 02:38 PM
    Just to clarify - I am posting to the PLAYBOOK forum, not the iPad forum. That's because I prefer my playbook.
    You tells them beaver. Good on ya dude. Ok I'll leave...bye...
    castoridae and Carl Estes like this.
    11-06-13 03:11 PM
    You would only need a pc/notebook for the setup of the Modem/Router. Then she would be good.

c
    and you can get the installer to set it up for you (her) when she has the installation appointment. She should at least have someone with access to a laptop to help her out if there's ever an issue with her router though.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-06-13 03:12 PM
    Yes, I'm pretty sure Rogers will do that
    If they set up the internet all she needs to do is turn on wifi on her Playbook, look under available networks and select her network and off she goes into the world of discover!
    11-06-13 03:13 PM
    If they set up the internet all she needs to do is turn on wifi on her Playbook, look under available networks and select her network and off she goes into the world of discover!
    Or just hijack the neighbours connection
    11-06-13 03:37 PM
    Assuming that you have a PC at home, I'm guessing that you should be able to set up her router for her at your house. Router setup basically only really involves picking a security standard and password. You could do this for her at your house and then transfer the router to her house for use.
    11-06-13 03:47 PM

so my question was - does she need a PC to get set up on Internet at her home or is it possible to get internet and just a playbook?
    no,,, i set up my playbook in a 7/11 parking lot, , & didn't have wifi @ the time,,, once her pb is set up, she can bridge (w/ bb phone) or tether, (non bb phone), to get online,,, it won't be the fastest set up, but it'll work,,, having wifi is the key, not having a pc,,, as far as backups are concerned, maybe being the good friend you seem to be, you can store her backups on your machine...
    11-06-13 04:20 PM
    Or just hijack the neighbours connection
    yup, there is that,,, it has to be an "open" connection,,, just get on it later @ night so they don't see you on there...
    11-06-13 04:21 PM
    You tells them beaver. Good on ya dude. Ok I'll leave...bye...
    Ok, you can stay - but just this once, because you're being nice for a change
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-06-13 05:18 PM
    no,,, i set up my playbook in a 7/11 parking lot, , & didn't have wifi @ the time,,, once her pb is set up, she can bridge (w/ bb phone) or tether, (non bb phone), to get online,,, it won't be the fastest set up, but it'll work,,, having wifi is the key, not having a pc,,, as far as backups are concerned, maybe being the good friend you seem to be, you can store her backups on your machine...
    I have a confession: I don't do backups - never have!
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-06-13 05:20 PM
    All the good apps are not in App World, so a PC is needed to sideload the Android apps
    11-06-13 06:41 PM
    I haven't read the whole thread but if all she does is surf, email, IM etc. then it will do but I find mine slow for surfing. I would think any tablet would do for her if that is she does.
    11-06-13 06:47 PM
    I don't think she'll be ready to sideload for quite some time - I rarely do it myself cause I don't use that many apps, also there are apps on BB world to download without sideloading.
    She would be doing mainly websurfing, email, youtube photos, that kind of thing.
    She'll be fine without sideloading. I have 2 PlayBooks now, one personal and one for work and have never felt the need to sideload anything, same for many PB owners. My sister and I both have found the apps we need in AppWorld. Besides, reading the forums here and a couple of other sights it is very apparent that the majority of trouble free PlayBook have not been sideloaded, while a lot of sideloading is associated with problem PlayBooks. No empirical data, just based on the forums.
    11-06-13 07:16 PM
    No. She does not need a computer to use a PlayBook. She doesn't need a computer if she buys the right modem/router for wifi either. Most new ones work straight out of the box.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-13 07:31 PM
    I guess you can get away with out a PC, BUT I would suggest that you show her at least how to do a backup so she can at least do a backup at work (if her employers IT guys allow that) inxcase something happens and she needs to restore her doc/pics/music etc. etc. etc...

I would try to get her to go with getting a NEW from Amazon for about 150.00, includes a Warrantee..........

c
    She could use Box, Dropbox or a similar storage service to backup documents, photos, videos, music, ebooks, etc. instead of using a desktop or notebook computer and BlackBerry Desktop Manager / BlackBerry Link.

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    11-07-13 01:07 AM
    When opening the box and having charged the Playbook it obviously needs to be switched on. As soon as it is switched on it looks for a wifi connection so that it can update and register with Blackberry. If no wifi is available then it will never work. Once the wifi has been used to register and update then there is really no further need for wifi if you want it to be for films and ebooks. But then these also first need to be installed. Films via PC and apps via 'app world', so connection now and again for wifi is a necessity. If you want to contact her then wifi is useful for 'video chat'.

Hope this comment helps.

Regards

Ross
    11-07-13 02:42 AM
    No. She does not need a computer to use a PlayBook. She doesn't need a computer if she buys the right modem/router for wifi either. Most new ones work straight out of the box.

Posted via CB10
    IP providers like rogers require you to use only certain routers and rent them to you.
    11-07-13 04:45 AM
131 1234 ...