A friend of mine is interested in getting a tablet after months of watching me on my playbooks.

- she is not savvy with computers, only uses her one at work and does not yet have internet & had to ask me what that 'thing' was that I use.

I believe a playbook is best for her - cheap, easy and super support on this site.

I told her she needs wireless internet first and then get a playbook off eBay.

I didn't think a PC or laptop was necessary, - I took my playbook to England this year and there's free wifi spots all over, but now I'm not sure if that's right.

Can someone help please? Many thx.
    11-06-13 08:33 AM
    A friend of mine is interested in getting a tablet after months of watching me on my playbooks.

- she is not savvy with computers, only uses her one at work and does not yet have internet & had to ask me what that 'thing' was that I use.

I believe a playbook is best for her - cheap, easy and super support on this site.

I told her she needs wireless internet first and then get a playbook off eBay.

I didn't think a PC or laptop was necessary, - I took my playbook to England this year and there's free wifi spots all over, but now I'm not sure if that's right.

Can someone help please? Many thx.
    I guess you can get away with out a PC, BUT I would suggest that you show her at least how to do a backup so she can at least do a backup at work (if her employers IT guys allow that) inxcase something happens and she needs to restore her doc/pics/music etc. etc. etc...

I would try to get her to go with getting a NEW from Amazon for about 150.00, includes a Warrantee..........

c
    11-06-13 08:39 AM
    Correct, no PC needed. She may need your help setting it up since she's a novice. But other than that, she'll be all set.
    11-06-13 08:39 AM
    I guess you can get away with out a PC, BUT I would suggest that you show her at least how to do a backup so she can at least do a backup at work (if her employers IT guys allow that) inxcase something happens and she needs to restore her doc/pics/music etc. etc. etc...
    I would try to get her to go with getting a NEW from Amazon for about 150.00, includes a Warrantee..........
    c
    We are in Canada and Amazon.ca frequently blocks purchases on the main site because the .ca site is more expensive for the same item.
    Can you send me the link and I'll see if it lets us purchase it.
    11-06-13 08:49 AM
    Correct, no PC needed. She may need your help setting it up since she's a novice. But other than that, she'll be all set.
    If she gets a wireless rotor and internet from Rogers, how would that work without a PC?
    11-06-13 08:53 AM
    If she gets a wireless rotor and internet from Rogers, how would that work without a PC?
    You would only need a pc/notebook for the setup of the Modem/Router. Then she would be good.

c
    11-06-13 09:02 AM
    We are in Canada and Amazon.ca frequently blocks purchases on the main site because the .ca site is more expensive for the same item.
    Can you send me the link and I'll see if it lets us purchase it.
    Here you go:

Amazon.com: Blackberry Playbook 7-Inch Tablet (64GB): Computers & Accessories

If you poke around, there are a few a bit cheaper, but read closely, "open box, wiped,means there could be warrantee issues. Look for sealed box...

c
    c
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    11-06-13 09:04 AM
    You would only need a pc/notebook for the setup of the Modem/Router. Then she would be good.

c
    So that means she does need a laptop or PC. -?
    11-06-13 09:22 AM
    The laptop or pc is needed for transfering files or backing up of the playbook. It is also essential for sideloading apps since most useful apps are not available in appworld.

If she just wants to surf the web no playbook is necessary. If she wants to do more than that she will need a pc/laptop to get the most function out of the playbook.

A playbook with just BB appworld, is a dumb tablet. Maybe that's what Heins was thinking.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-06-13 09:32 AM
    It depends on how much Rogers does for the setup of the router. Most carriers just send out a "kit" and expect you to set it up and configure with a PC. If you play "dumb", they may send a tech out to do it. Rogers does offer a data plan for the 4G/LTE PB. Maybe she would be better off with that? She can get internet that way as well. You can also tether internet from a cell phone if she has a BBRY by bridge or any other cell phone by WIFI hotspot. Alot of options.
    Carl Estes and Cynycl like this.
    11-06-13 09:36 AM
    The laptop or pc is needed for transfering files or backing up of the playbook. It is also essential for sideloading apps since most useful apps are not available in appworld.

If she just wants to surf the web no playbook is necessary. If she wants to do more than that she will need a pc/laptop to get the most function out of the playbook.

A playbook with just BB appworld, is a dumb tablet. Maybe that's what Heins was thinking.
    These days you can store and transfer essential files in the cloud (e.g. Box or Skydrive). You would need a PC to backup and sideload. Might be too techy for her?

Just a thought. The new Kindle Fire HDX comes with a "personal assistant"...I think they call it a "mayday" button. Basically 24/7 support. Might want to check that out if she is not computer savvy.
    Carl Estes, Cynycl and KoreyTM like this.
    11-06-13 09:43 AM
    Asking about the need for a pc to "use" a playbook is like painting with a wide and I mean WIDE brush. No sarcasm intended. Perhaps if you can be a bit more specific you can get some better suggestions. I would say no you don't need a pc to use a playbook. I only swap music, videos and do a minor backup when connected to my pc. All of this can also be done in the cloud as well. The sky is the limit!! Good Luck!!
    11-06-13 09:58 AM
    I bought my Mum a Playbook over a year ago and she's loving it. My Mum's not computer literate at all (she's never got on with the mouse as a concept) and yet she's able to email happily on her PB. Mum already has wifi at home (free from the phone company) so she's just using that and getting on famously. If she breaks it by accident, it won't matter either. Fantastic bit of kit and my Mum loves it.
    11-06-13 10:06 AM
    Asking about the need for a pc to "use" a playbook is like painting with a wide and I mean WIDE brush. No sarcasm intended. Perhaps if you can be a bit more specific you can get some better suggestions. I would say no you don't need a pc to use a playbook. I only swap music, videos and do a minor backup when connected to my pc. All of this can also be done in the cloud as well. The sky is the limit!! Good Luck!!
    She could just go to bestbuy or similar, try out different tabs till she sees what she likes and how it will work for what she'll want it for and then will know if a PB will suit her purpose
    Carl Estes and 8820man like this.
    11-06-13 10:07 AM
    The PC in this case would only be used for setting up wifi-nothing to do with the Playbook. Essentially she can take the playbook out of the box and start using it without a computer.
    11-06-13 10:07 AM
    had to ask me what that 'thing' was that I use.
    Don't tell her

TBH it really depends what she will use it for and if she has Blackberry to bridge it to, if she has the playbook is useful. if she does not have Blackberry she may be better off a tablet that she can put a simcard in
    11-06-13 10:15 AM
    Here you go:

Amazon.com: Blackberry Playbook 7-Inch Tablet (64GB): Computers & Accessories

If you poke around, there are a few a bit cheaper, but read closely, "open box, wiped,means there could be warrantee issues. Look for sealed box...
    c
    c
    No can do z- the 32g is listed at more than the price of the 64g on Amazon.ca, so Canadians are blocked from buying this item on the .com site.
    11-06-13 11:40 AM
    No can do z- the 32g is listed at more than the price of the 64g on Amazon.ca, so Canadians are blocked from buying this item on the .com site.
    Just set up account with comgateway, no sales tax on the purchase and then they ship to Canada after it arrives at their warehouse.
    11-06-13 11:43 AM
    It depends on how much Rogers does for the setup of the router. Most carriers just send out a "kit" and expect you to set it up and configure with a PC. If you play "dumb", they may send a tech out to do it. Rogers does offer a data plan for the 4G/LTE PB. Maybe she would be better off with that? She can get internet that way as well. You can also tether internet from a cell phone if she has a BBRY by bridge or any other cell phone by WIFI hotspot. Alot of options.
    This may be the best solution. Rogers don't send a kit - if you are a customer (most people are for cable TV), they send a tech.
    They sent a tech for me years ago when I first switched to wireless and the guy set up the wifi router.

So they might be able to do this; I'm trying to check out the best cheapest way for her.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    11-06-13 11:47 AM

I don't think she'll be ready to sideload for quite some time - I rarely do it myself cause I don't use that many apps, also there are apps on BB world to download without sideloading.
    She would be doing mainly websurfing, email, youtube photos, that kind of thing.
    11-06-13 11:57 AM
    This may be the best solution. Rogers don't send a kit - if you are a customer (most people are for cable TV), they send a tech.
    They sent a tech for me years ago when I first switched to wireless and the guy set up the wifi router.

So they might be able to do this; I'm trying to check out the best cheapest way for her.
    You don't have access to a laptop or a friend that can assist..?

c
    11-06-13 12:48 PM
    You don't have access to a laptop or a friend that can assist..?

c
    Its not me - I'm researching this for my friend. She doesn't have anything, just the computer at work. She would like a playbook and I'm asking if she needs to get a PC in order to use her playbook at home.
    11-06-13 12:55 PM
    She could just go to bestbuy or similar, try out different tabs till she sees what she likes and how it will work for what she'll want it for and then will know if a PB will suit her purpose
    She wants what I have - a playbook.
    It's the cheapest for what it does.
    However, she is just starting out and doesn't yet have internet access.
    I'm suggesting to her that she get internet Lite from Rogers @ about $50.00 / month.
    Its what I have, but I have a PC, she has nothing, so in order to access email, etc, she needs internet,

so my question was - does she need a PC to get set up on Internet at her home or is it possible to get internet and just a playbook?
    11-06-13 01:05 PM
    She wants what I have - a playbook.
    It's the cheapest for what it does.
    However, she is just starting out and doesn't yet have internet access.
    I'm suggesting to her that she get internet Lite from Rogers @ about $50.00 / month.
    Its what I have, but I have a PC, she has nothing, so in order to access email, etc, she needs internet,

so my question was - does she need a PC to get set up on Internet at her home or is it possible to get internet and just a playbook?
    Sure it's possible. All depends on her service provider and whether they set up her internet for her or not.
    11-06-13 01:10 PM
    Sure it's possible. All depends on her service provider and whether they set up her internet for her or not.
    Yes, I'm pretty sure Rogers will do that
    11-06-13 01:27 PM
131 123 ...