i was having problems using the browser. it seemed as it loaded up the page, that nice smooth scrolling would work a treat, but as soon as the page loaded it wouldn't be as smooth. I soon realised it was the flash content loading last and when the adverts loaded they were looping in the background. I guess this is why Apple didn't want it on the Ipad.

Well, at least RIM were good enough to give me the option to turn it off or on.
    12-06-11 02:33 PM
    Enabled. Its actually the java that appears to slow down my browsing experience. But most sites use java and use it some extent of important so its somewhat necessary. I found that youtube didn't work correctly without java.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-06-11 02:35 PM
    I guess this is why Apple didn't want it on the Ipad.
    No.

Publicly, Steve Jobs gave lots of "technical" reasons why. But behind the scenes, it's also because Steve Jobs had a huge personal grudge against Adobe since the late 1990s when they turned their back on him and the Apple computer. The story is in the recent Jobs biography written by Isaacson.

Back on topic. Enabled. I've only disabled Flash a few times just to test it out and see what websites required Flash or not.
    12-06-11 03:50 PM
    Enabled. Its actually the java that appears to slow down my browsing experience. But most sites use java and use it some extent of important so its somewhat necessary. I found that youtube didn't work correctly without java.
    Just to clarify, I think you mean JavaScript. Java is a completely different programming language and PlayBook does not support it at all. BTW, Java is the native language on all current BB smart phones. Lack of Java support is the reason why none of those apps work on your PB (although there was once talk of RIM implementing a player along the lines of Android Player.)
    12-06-11 04:10 PM
    Nope flash is on and so is java script even though java script is what really slows it down.

Buzz............ why are they not supporting java? It seems to be everywhere like they say lol.
    12-06-11 04:33 PM
    Enabled. Never noticed a slow down with it. Happy as is.

Later,
    B.
    12-06-11 04:43 PM
    well, i suppose people aren't that bothered by that slightly sluggy scrolling when flash ads are present. Guess I'm just picky.
    12-06-11 04:53 PM
    mine is disabled and enabled only when required.
    12-06-11 05:58 PM
    I leave Flash off -- the browser already has enough to overcome just dealing with javascript.
    12-06-11 06:21 PM
    How do you check whether it's enabled or not?
    12-06-11 06:24 PM
    On, and haven't noticed any lag when scrolling, even on heavy flash based sites.
    12-06-11 06:25 PM
    Enabled. I don't really care if it slows things down a little bit. But, I've tried with and without and could not really tell much difference.
    12-06-11 06:31 PM
    Just checking
    12-06-11 06:34 PM
    open a browser window, swipe down and tap options, under content. I have both enabled
    alnamvet68 and SunnyFL like this.
    12-06-11 06:38 PM
    open a browser window, swipe down and tap options, under content. I have both enabled
    Thank you. I'm good.
    cscott44 likes this.
    12-06-11 06:43 PM
    I did a test on crackberry quite awhile back and can't find it now but the difference with flash on and java script off compared to both off was minimal but with flash off and java script on it was quite a bit longer to load.
    12-06-11 06:46 PM
    FLASH gordON
    12-06-11 06:52 PM
    If you disable Javascript, you can begin typing before the page fully loads and the keyboard does not disappear. Also, on Crackberry, using the BackArrow in the Browser does not force a page to reload if javascript is disabled.
    12-06-11 06:58 PM
    Flash On. JavaScript Off.
    12-06-11 08:00 PM
    Flash On. JavaScript Off.
    +1 ... I only enable Java Script when a page needs it...

Pages load A LOT faster and no checkerboarding...
    12-06-11 08:37 PM
    With Javascript off pages load a lot faster! thanks for the tip!
    12-06-11 08:49 PM
    :::

Flash & Java Off.

Actually, Flash is not devil, the main problem is the Flash Ad
    which is CPU Hog, also equal to Draining your Battery. But its still not the
    Flash platform problem if the Ad is clean & optimized.
    But most Ad we saw, are poor programing by the stupid Programer
    that caues the Ad is not being optimize...

:::
    Last edited by Talon88; 12-06-11 at 09:48 PM.
    12-06-11 09:43 PM
    I have both Flash and JS enabled, no issues here whatsoever.
    12-06-11 11:45 PM
    Flash and JS on for me.
    12-07-11 12:06 AM
    I have it enabled. The Playbook eats through Flash videos like a champ(even the 1080p content, not even my Android Tablet can do that.) along with most Flash content. And for reference, many PlayBook Apps are built using AIR -- which is Flash.

Most of the times I've had noticeable slow down, has been because of JavaScript -- which will hopefully get better with updates. It's already better than it was when I first got this thing. The Time Warner online guide as an example is useable now, but still way slower than if it were built as a native app, or in Flash.

Steve Job's misleading half-truths about Flash were for business reasons alone and as another pointed out, also stemmed from a personal grudge.
    12-07-11 12:37 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD