everything in the playbook is perfect, except the weight. when I manipulate it with one hand, I feel like I am holding a hunch of metal.
    It is almost 50g more than the galaxy tab 7".

what would be the ideal weight for you ?
    10-29-12 10:57 AM
    everything in the playbook is perfect, except the weight. when I manipulate it with one hand, I feel like I am holding a hunch of metal.

Yeah, being accustomed to the PB, it is heavier than I desire. But much lighter than the iPad I had and the full-size Android tab I have. In my view, a tablet can never be light enough. But the PB is certainly acceptable. One thing I find about the PB's design, whether the engineers deliberately designed it that way, is the slightly raised lip on the front of the PB that allows my thumb to grip the PB effectively. It seems to be made of rubber. Having my thumb gripped to it and my fingers gripping the rubberized backside really achieves a nice grasp.
    10-29-12 11:14 AM
    I welcome the feel of QUALITY, when a item is to light I wonder about the quality of the product. It feels just right to ME.
    10-29-12 11:22 AM
    Get yourself a 10" tablet and then you'll feel heaviness. I have an HP TouchPad too and it's much heavier than the 7" PlayBook. Mind you, I tend to look past that when browsing the web on it because the screen is so much bigger. It's a strange experience going from the small PlayBook to the larger TouchPad - hard to describe until you actually do it in person.

Batteries are heavy things until they come up with better technology, you just have to put up with it. I would suggest working out a little bit if you find 425 grams (0.94 lbs) a bit too heavy for you...
    Jince likes this.
    10-29-12 11:42 AM
    Yeah it is a bit on the heavier side.. But I got used to it and it feels well built and sturdy to me atleast compared to some other lighter devices (phones and tablets)..
    Scotter75 likes this.
    10-29-12 11:47 AM
    I don't think it's so much heavy as the squared off shape creates pressure points that feel don't feel right. I find the rounded body of something like an iPad much easier to hold.
    10-29-12 12:03 PM
    It just feel well built to me. I've never had an issue with its weight.
    Scotter75 likes this.
    10-29-12 12:04 PM
    Doesn't bother me. Not going to have muscle cramps carrying around a device that weighs under a pound. :-)
    10-29-12 12:06 PM
    Only when it is in its case which adds white a bit.
    10-29-12 12:10 PM
    I have mine in the convertible case and sometimes it feels heavy to me when I am laying around holding it when I read a book or blogs but the Playbook to me feels sturdy and well-built so I would not trade quality for weight. I just ordered the BB soft shell case to put the playbook in when I am reading, it should definitely help since the convertible case is a bit bulky.
    10-29-12 12:14 PM
    Not really. In comparison to the iPad (the only device I've used to compare to), its better and easier to hold.
    10-29-12 12:14 PM
    I agree its heavier than a P1000, but then it does feel more substantial in your hand than a Galaxy Tab, and it is because its bigger than the 7" Tab, which is all down to the bezel size. The Galaxy tab fits in the palm of my hand comfortably (in Portrait) but its uncomfortable to hold on an edge due to its sloped rear. The Playbook doesn't fit in the palm of my hand comfortably (in portrait) but is comfortable holding onto the edge of the bezel.

So in my view its horses for courses really.
    10-29-12 12:17 PM
    Nope, but everyone is different. It feels well-built and I like it.
    10-29-12 12:18 PM
    Only when it is in its case which adds white a bit.
    Yup, my Otterbox ads some heft and bulkiness... but I'm such a klutz.
    10-29-12 12:20 PM
    Its called a quality tablet. It feels perfect. I am sure if it was lighter, people would still complain calling it cheap! Come on and get a life and quit whining.
    10-29-12 12:29 PM

I think it feels solid, not like plastic.
    10-29-12 02:04 PM
    I like the quality weight and feel. Sometimes, when I am using it, I am aware of the weight, but usually not. On balance, I'd prefer it to be a little weighty - like my old Powerbooks, the weight reminds my back brain that "that little thing you're holding is expensive, don't drop it."
    eddy_berry likes this.
    10-29-12 02:10 PM
    50g more! That's insane!! That is almost as heavy as a pack of mustard you put on a hot dog at a ball game. Had I known the Galaxy Tab was that much lighter I would have bought that. The PlayBook can cause nerve damage in your hand with that much weight.
    DC506 and eddy_berry like this.
    10-29-12 02:11 PM
    I replaced a ipad with PB, if a playbook is heavy Kirstie Alley is already dead from heart failure.
    Marty_LK likes this.
    10-29-12 02:52 PM
    NO, not even
    10-29-12 03:00 PM
    When I opened the box for my first Playbook, the weight surprised me a bit, but what surprised me more, was the "solid" feel to it. It felt substantial. Definitely a well built device. Weight is not an issue at all for me.
    madman0141 likes this.
    10-29-12 03:01 PM
    Since I'm accustomed to carrying around a large DSLR with a 70-200 VR lens on it for hours, the PB certainly seems like a featherweight to me. *wink* Just give your arm a workout when you're not surfing on your PB. *evil grin*
    10-29-12 03:20 PM
    I use my playbook naked very light
    10-29-12 03:48 PM
    I know the tech trend is towards lighter, thinner, faster, brighter etc. But, we don,t really need to ditch one year old tech to feed the god of avarice.

The pb weight is fine. I,m hoping to get another 2 or 3 years out of mine.

My tv is 3 inch thick. Do I need it to be 1 inch? Tech gets silly sometimes.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-29-12 03:57 PM
    I don't think it's so much heavy as the squared off shape creates pressure points that feel don't feel right. I find the rounded body of something like an iPad much easier to hold.
    I find the opposite to be true. The way the iPad tapers feels uncomfortable for me to hold. The edge feels sharp and requires a lot of pressure to hold the weight up because of the lack of a grippable edge.
    10-29-12 04:01 PM
51 123