How does Bing Maps figure out where I am?

When I turn off wifi, Bing doesnt work.
    02-05-12 02:21 PM
    Yes, they do. I have never used it, but I imagine you need to go outside.

Btw, as far as I know Bing won't work without wifi. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 02-05-12 at 02:24 PM.
    02-05-12 02:21 PM
    PB has an inbuilt GPS, it will work even if you dont have wifi, but different apps behave in different ways (Magellan, Compass, Bing maps).
    02-05-12 02:23 PM
    I don't use bing so in can't speak to that.
    Yes It does have GPS. It may be hard to get a signal inside because unlike a cell phone it doesn't have the ability to use cell towers to help.
    02-05-12 02:24 PM
    I use Bing with bridge all the time - no wifi. Got me out of more than one mess my gps got me into!
    02-05-12 02:32 PM
    What is a good app to test my GPS, then?
    02-05-12 02:32 PM
    PlayBook has a GPS in the unit the problem is all these GPS apps essentially "stream" maps which obviously requires data connection. If you had Full downloaded maps on the PlayBook it would be able to use GPS without a data connection. As far as I know there is no GPS app which provides full maps.
    02-05-12 02:40 PM
    PlayBook has a GPS in the unit the problem is all these GPS apps essentially "stream" maps which obviously requires data connection. If you had Full downloaded maps on the PlayBook it would be able to use GPS without a data connection. As far as I know there is no GPS app which provides full maps.
    Same with Android. You have to shell out a lot of money to have decent offline maps with navigation (often more than a standalone GPS unit would cost you). I was just wondering if Garmin and TomTom somehow persuaded Google and MS not to provide offline functionality.
    Last edited by kennyliu; 02-05-12 at 02:48 PM.
    02-05-12 02:44 PM
    But if you're just looking for straight GPS data, I guess there are apps such as GPS Monitor which just show you data - speed, location, etc?
    02-05-12 02:52 PM
    Several apps are GPS enabled, the camera, the RIM Facebook app, FourPlay (if you have a Foursquare account). The other other non navigation apps (that require maps) that are also GPS enabled such as Whats Up (a very cool astronomy program and a bargain @ .99), Device Info (free). Most of these require internet access as well except Whats Up and Device Info and the camera.

I have discovered that the GPS works a bit more consistently with on OS 2.0 beta.

Almost everything with mapping capabilities will require some form of intern access to download the maps.
    kennyliu likes this.
    02-05-12 02:59 PM
    But if you're just looking for straight GPS data, I guess there are apps such as GPS Monitor which just show you data - speed, location, etc?
    I use an app called VCMS. It is a speedometer with travel direction and odometer (A & B) that can be reset. Also displays your position Lat & Lon, and altimeter reading. Has a nice graphic look, with level meters for the internal gyroscope (I think).
    Works well and matches my handheld gps for speed when compared in the car. Actually confirms what my gps first indicated, my car speedo is ~5 km/hr high!

Not sure, but it may not update as often (or continuous) as a true gps unit but it does work fine and it wouldn't take much more to add maps and use it for getting from A to B with directions, hopefully someone will get downloadable road maps for the PB done!
    02-05-12 03:16 PM
    Poynt and Compass are free apps that use the gps. Compass is fairly limited but helps test if the gps is working.
    02-05-12 03:17 PM
    Ditto on the free compass app. Reboot the playbook to make sure the GPS is in a proper state then take it outside and start the compass app. Leave it witha good view of the sky until the compass app starts showing a position. Then open Bing and if bridged to a phone or on wifi, it will show you where your are.
    02-05-12 03:49 PM
    Let's be frank. The GPS receiver in the PlayBook is deaf.

I've got about a dozen gadgets with GPS, and the PlayBook is absolutely deaf in comparison to any of them. Any of the other gadgets can easily lock-on from a cold start in just a few minutes anywhere inside my house. The PlayBook will NEVER achieve lock unless it's taken outside.

And it's not just the "data connection" assist like smart phones. Lack of data connection can explain slow lock-up, and it can explain lack of map data. It cannot explain needing to stand outside to eventually get a signal. The portable car GPS units don't use external data connection, but they do have good quality, sensitive receivers. They can lock-on quickly and easily, even in my basement.

There's no getting around it. The PlayBook GPS is deaf. We should stop pretending otherwise and wasting the new users' time.
    02-05-12 08:35 PM
    Anyone know who/what makes the gps receiver/chip for the pb?

I get a lock from the inside of my home on the second floor. Wood frame, plaster/lath, wood/shingle roof. I fired up Nokia maps on the browser yesterday and it found me in a few minutes.
    dkip likes this.
    02-05-12 08:52 PM
    Let's be frank. The GPS receiver in the PlayBook is deaf.

I've got about a dozen gadgets with GPS, and the PlayBook is absolutely deaf in comparison to any of them. Any of the other gadgets can easily lock-on from a cold start in just a few minutes anywhere inside my house. The PlayBook will NEVER achieve lock unless it's taken outside.

And it's not just the "data connection" assist like smart phones. Lack of data connection can explain slow lock-up, and it can explain lack of map data. It cannot explain needing to stand outside to eventually get a signal. The portable car GPS units don't use external data connection, but they do have good quality, sensitive receivers. They can lock-on quickly and easily, even in my basement.

There's no getting around it. The PlayBook GPS is deaf. We should stop pretending otherwise and wasting the new users' time.

I don't think its the GPS itself, I think its the way the OS and/or apps interact with it. With 1.0.8 I do sometimes have a problem with getting a lock indoors, but after a reboot always resolves it. The 2.0 beta beta is much more responsive. I was testing the GPS on my PB and the 16 GB (2.0) side by.side a couple of hours ago and the 16 GB got a lock in seconds (using the same apps) and my 32 GB would not lock until I rebooted. I was indoors when doing this. My Garmin Edge 305 sometimes has trouble getting a lock to when indoors and none of my devices will get a lock when in my office at work. Outdoors I rarely have an issue.

Being as I am a bit of a bike geek as well as a tech geek, you know I have to find new ways of combining them so here are a couple of photos on my newest use for my PB.
    02-05-12 09:49 PM
    the Texas Instruments WL1283 is the gps reciever, also houses the WLAN, bluetooth and FM transmitter. and from what i've read the Honeywell HMC5883 is an e-compass, 3axis.
    FF22 likes this.
    02-05-12 09:56 PM
    The PlayBook will NEVER achieve lock unless it's taken outside.
    GPS has worked flawlessly for me on about 8 units so far.

Maybe you're doing it wrong...

Try not covering the lower right corner (when held in landscape mode) with anything like, say, your hand. That's where the antenna is, and obscuring it even slightly can affect its ability to get a good enough signal, especially indoors where the signal already has a hard enough time getting to it.
    02-05-12 10:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD