Can't you kill them in file manager?
    Yep I've tried that as well as trying to delete in 'Videos' but there doesn't seem to be a drop down menu with a delete option.
    06-16-12 10:20 AM
    That is a 64gb Playbook?

I know how this story usually goes; I become intrigued by a device, I spend too long in stores playing with them, reading countless hours of enthusiast forums to what? no sensible conclusion.

The last time this happened was with the Palm Pre, I loved the OS and it seemed to just work. Then they went under just before I took the plunge. Lucky for me?

So I've been instore, I've become frustrated by failed attempts to get the store Playbooks to join the adhoc wifi on my jesusphone4s (a device I am thoroughly apathetic over), I'm stared in wonderment at the epic start up time and I'm not a fan of the almost "jittery" scrolling of webpages, but still I keep thinking about it...

Issues I'm considering tackling...

1.) I've got about 54GB of music on my aging Macbook Pro & my 4s, about 30% bought from iTunes. I'm guessing that the iTunes music is going to be rammed to the gizzards with DRM and subsequently I can whistle (read download copies of music I've paid for) if I want to try and play that on my playbook. In fact from what I've read it looks like I'm going to have to get some kind of NAS drive so that I can dump all the music files onto that and import them onto my future PB?

2.) Spotify? does it work through the web? (this is not a 'not enough apps' moan)

3.) Ms Exchange (work), Gmail & IMAP mail, can I use them all through the provided mail app?

4.) Facebook & Twitter, I have about 2000 'followers/friends' on both these social networks when/if I was to add these am I going to end up with an address book uber-nightmare? ie: all my FB & Twitter contacts being added to my Address book along with all my work and personal contacts? That's actually enough to put me off the whole idea from the outset!

5.) Apps and android, well not being familiar with the android marketplace (the Apple apps store bores me to be honest) is there anything worth installing, this 'sideloading' malarkey is it worth doing, has it been knobbled by 2.1? That said I'm not after the PB for apps, I like the fact that its got a 'working' web browser!

6.) I couldn't give a toss if it doesn't have skype, I've got 2 iphones and a landline, why the would I want to talk into another device?!? just saying, not really a question.

7.) I'm a musician (think singer songwriter, both electric & acoustic guitar) are there any GOOD recording applications (I don't mind paying for something that works!)

8.) what do you think the odds are in RIM investors writing down all the playbooks just after I've bought one, dropping the platform, brakiing up the company and selling Blackberry to HTC or someone else as a bucket of patents? (I notice the shares are tanking and the Exec's seem to be leaving the building faster than uncooked chicken exiting an alcoholic.

9.) Should I really bother or am I looking at spending �250 on something that's going to be a continual disappointment when I'd be better off spending the money on a weekend of watermelons and explosives?

Cheers, and thanks in advance.

A
    I believe there is return policy in most stores so try it and see if you like it or not. Personally I like Playbook a lot and i do not have any desire to get a different tablet. For my needs Playbook is just great.

As to your point

8. this will not happen. I strongly believe that many Blackberry users have switched to Apple and Andoroid phones because they were frustrated with current Blackberry os. however, i believe that OS10 once comes out will be the most advance phone OS out there and it will not be immediately possible for competition to match it. I believe many Blackberry ex-users will come back and RIM will bounce back. Perhaps it will not be #1 again but it will be financially strong,with good financial statements and more loyal users.

9. if you feel Playbook will be "continuous disappointment" why even bother starting this thread ? sometimes i just do not get people. Go and get ipad.
    06-16-12 10:37 AM
    There's a couple of alternative file manager aps available, have a go with them?
    06-16-12 10:38 AM
    I believe there is return policy in most stores so try it and see if you like it or not. Personally I like Playbook a lot and i do not have any desire to get a different tablet. For my needs Playbook is just great.

As to your point

8. this will not happen. I strongly believe that many Blackberry users have switched to Apple and Andoroid phones because they were frustrated with current Blackberry os. however, i believe that OS10 once comes out will be the most advance phone OS out there and it will not be immediately possible for competition to match it. I believe many Blackberry ex-users will come back and RIM will bounce back. Perhaps it will not be #1 again but it will be financially strong,with good financial statements and more loyal users.

9. if you feel Playbook will be "continuous disappointment" why even bother starting this thread ? sometimes i just do not get people. Go and get ipad.
    Yes, why bother? To gather concensous prior to buying which, if you'd kept up with the tread, you'd see I have bought one.

Interestingly i can't get the thing to connect to the old MBP via USB but as its able to sync my itunes over wifi I'm not that bothered.

I should point out that I don't feel defined by the products that I purchase, if "go buy an ipad" is supposed to be a derogratry slur, then may I suggest that you need to get out more.
    meltbox360 likes this.
    06-16-12 10:52 AM
    There's a couple of alternative file manager aps available, have a go with them?
    Files and folders seems to be a popular app so I'll give that a go.

Congrats on your new PB btw.
    06-16-12 11:02 AM
    Cheers, I'm liking it so far, they've got a of a good value piece of kit that should be shifting like hot cakes, if they were to market it on price point alone!
    06-16-12 11:18 AM
    It's good to see how quick it is browsing whilst synching a of a lot of itunes files! Impressed and happy here!

Thanks
    alan510 and GreenCopperz like this.
    06-16-12 12:20 PM
    Cheers, I'm liking it so far, they've got a of a good value piece of kit that should be shifting like hot cakes, if they were to market it on price point alone!
    It has its issues as do other platforms, both tablet, laptop or desktop. But all in all, it is a fun and productive and nicely portable tool.
    MrNutt likes this.
    06-16-12 01:00 PM
    Oh joy, I'm guessing that file manager application is not normally so slow at startup? Is there an indexing problem? What's the best paid app to get the job (managing music files)??

Cheers
    06-16-12 05:02 PM
    Files + folders is the trick. The question is why isn't it shipping with the new OS, if RIM were to ship products that worked out the box half the battle would be won.
    06-16-12 05:48 PM
    Glad you're liking your playbook overall it seems... although not perfect, it's becoming better by the month as it becomes refined... the 2.1 OS due out soon should make everyone very happy until they bring BB10 to the Playbook... I am sure you'll be very impressed by the sound the playbook puts out for the size of the device!
    06-16-12 08:58 PM
    No doubt about that, it's easily got the best sound of all the tablets I've seen, wish it had logic, protocols or similar, do you know of any, all the reviews in the app store tend to put me off!
    06-17-12 02:32 AM
    BUT, you still could. It is fun!!!!!!!

The best place to "evaluate" apps, is to go through the App section in the forums, and you will get a feel for what is working for the best "envelope" for lack of a better word.

Oh, and when you DO GET to the melons and explosives, use the Playbook camera/video so we can see the fun!!!!!!!!

C
    06-18-12 03:16 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD