That is a 64gb Playbook?

I know how this story usually goes; I become intrigued by a device, I spend too long in stores playing with them, reading countless hours of enthusiast forums to what? no sensible conclusion.

The last time this happened was with the Palm Pre, I loved the OS and it seemed to just work. Then they went under just before I took the plunge. Lucky for me?

So I've been instore, I've become frustrated by failed attempts to get the store Playbooks to join the adhoc wifi on my jesusphone4s (a device I am thoroughly apathetic over), I'm stared in wonderment at the epic start up time and I'm not a fan of the almost "jittery" scrolling of webpages, but still I keep thinking about it...

Issues I'm considering tackling...

1.) I've got about 54GB of music on my aging Macbook Pro & my 4s, about 30% bought from iTunes. I'm guessing that the iTunes music is going to be rammed to the gizzards with DRM and subsequently I can whistle (read download copies of music I've paid for) if I want to try and play that on my playbook. In fact from what I've read it looks like I'm going to have to get some kind of NAS drive so that I can dump all the music files onto that and import them onto my future PB?

2.) Spotify? does it work through the web? (this is not a 'not enough apps' moan)

3.) Ms Exchange (work), Gmail & IMAP mail, can I use them all through the provided mail app?

4.) Facebook & Twitter, I have about 2000 'followers/friends' on both these social networks when/if I was to add these am I going to end up with an address book uber-nightmare? ie: all my FB & Twitter contacts being added to my Address book along with all my work and personal contacts? That's actually enough to put me off the whole idea from the outset!

5.) Apps and android, well not being familiar with the android marketplace (the Apple apps store bores me to be honest) is there anything worth installing, this 'sideloading' malarkey is it worth doing, has it been knobbled by 2.1? That said I'm not after the PB for apps, I like the fact that its got a 'working' web browser!

6.) I couldn't give a toss if it doesn't have skype, I've got 2 iphones and a landline, why the would I want to talk into another device?!? just saying, not really a question.

7.) I'm a musician (think singer songwriter, both electric & acoustic guitar) are there any GOOD recording applications (I don't mind paying for something that works!)

8.) what do you think the odds are in RIM investors writing down all the playbooks just after I've bought one, dropping the platform, brakiing up the company and selling Blackberry to HTC or someone else as a bucket of patents? (I notice the shares are tanking and the Exec's seem to be leaving the building faster than uncooked chicken exiting an alcoholic.

9.) Should I really bother or am I looking at spending �250 on something that's going to be a continual disappointment when I'd be better off spending the money on a weekend of watermelons and explosives?

Cheers, and thanks in advance.

A
    dave1701 likes this.
    06-15-12 04:26 PM
    Well I think you should think for yourself.

And what bridge do you play under? LoL
    Stump3r likes this.
    06-15-12 08:51 PM
    Duh!!! Of course you should...are you an Aquarius? There you go over thinking things again, you know you want one....follow you heart.
    06-15-12 09:20 PM
    MS Exchange and Gmail work very well.
    Twitter and FB work well and you don't have to link with your address book if you don't want to.
    The only android apps I have are LastPass Xmarks and a really good remote desktop client for MS Exchange. I do wish for Skype but not enough to jump ship. I can't speak to the music apps but a new one was released in app world this week. You may want to check it out.
    I think RIM is committed to the PB, if they were going to dump it, they would have by IMO.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Oh yeah and I have a PlayBook too!
    06-15-12 09:21 PM
    I suspect like most people, you will enjoy the Playbook. If not, you can sell it.
    06-15-12 10:19 PM
    Well I think you should think for yourself.

And what bridge do you play under? LoL
    I suppose thats one of the things that led me towards the playbook, I like that its different, to be honest its the UI that hooked me in, I'm keen on the gestures and the black boarder.

And as for which bridge, you'll typically find me under one along the M4 or A30
    06-16-12 02:15 AM
    Duh!!! Of course you should...are you an Aquarius? There you go over thinking things again, you know you want one....follow you heart.
    Aries actually, i do, but I'm working on my impulsive spending!
    06-16-12 02:19 AM
    Twitter and FB work well and you don't have to link with your address book if you don't want to.
    The only android apps I have are LastPass Xmarks and a really good remote desktop client for MS Exchange. I do wish for Skype but not enough to jump ship. I can't speak to the music apps but a new one was released in app world this week. You may want to check it out.
    I think RIM is committed to the PB, if they were going to dump it, they would have by IMO.

Thanks for that! So is it possible to have 'multiple address books' or just the one which only syncs accounts to work if they are tagged as work? I don't want my corporate address book to be flooded with the freeks & nee'rdowells that gather around my antisocialnetworking!
    06-16-12 02:33 AM
    I suspect like most people, you will enjoy the Playbook. If not, you can sell it.
    I suspect I will, whats the quickest & easiest way of getting music on to the playbook?

Oh and as I've already paid for a lot of music through iTunes I've no moral issues with downloading copies of things I've paid for, is there a torrent program that I could run from my PB?
    06-16-12 02:47 AM
    BlackBerry Desktop Manager (bundled with the PlayBook) can copy music onto the PlayBook, and can even sync iTunes music and playlists if you choose. If you prefer drag & drop, you can do that too.
    06-16-12 03:28 AM

Gmail does work but you should be aware that you are limited to 30 days maximum of emails on the PB.
    06-16-12 04:39 AM
    BlackBerry Desktop Manager (bundled with the PlayBook) can copy music onto the PlayBook, and can even sync iTunes music and playlists if you choose. If you prefer drag & drop, you can do that too.
    Does that work with OSX or just windows? If its working on the mac I'm off to splash the cash today!
    06-16-12 05:02 AM
    Gmail does work but you should be aware that you are limited to 30 days maximum of emails on the PB.
    To be honest thats no bother, i'd only be interested in new mail so thats all good, any ideas on the address book thing?
    06-16-12 05:04 AM
    Does that work with OSX or just windows? If its working on the mac I'm off to splash the cash today!
    It works on my Macbook PRO. Checkout the RIM Website and download and try it on your machine first.
    06-16-12 05:11 AM
    New apps are coming out for the PB daily now. It will probably do just about everything you need it to do. With the BB10 update coming before too long it looks like the PB will have some longevity. Keeping this in mind I pulled the trigger on a 64GB last night to replace my current 16GB PB. It's a heck of a good deal for the money IMHO.
    axeman1000 likes this.
    06-16-12 05:23 AM
    I've got a MBP, i think its running tiger (was that the one before leopard?).... I'm edging closer to the store and I've �250 burning a hole in my pocket!

Any music production applications which allow recording from an external mic available yet?

Cheers all for your replys so far!
    immovablesoup likes this.
    06-16-12 05:23 AM
    Bought mine for �233 including postage
    Last edited by bkupris; 06-16-12 at 05:58 AM.
    06-16-12 05:46 AM
    Taken the plunge, will keep you all posted, should I update to the latest version or is it better to go hackberry?
    06-16-12 06:31 AM
    New apps are coming out for the PB daily now. It will probably do just about everything you need it to do. With the BB10 update coming before too long it looks like the PB will have some longevity. Keeping this in mind I pulled the trigger on a 64GB last night to replace my current 16GB PB. It's a heck of a good deal for the money IMHO.
    There's nothing out there that comes close in the value for money stakes, that said the app store prices are certianly on the morbidly obease side of healthy!
    06-16-12 06:39 AM
    To be honest thats no bother, i'd only be interested in new mail so thats all good, any ideas on the address book thing?
    I don't think you can have more than one address book. Also you should be aware that the native email is very problematic. It improves with each update but is still temperamental. Imap causes problems still and I'm sure that MS exchange isn't perfect. If you can you should try and use a display model or similar in a shop first, set up the email accounts and see if it works. Or borrow one.
    06-16-12 06:47 AM
    Taken the plunge, will keep you all posted, should I update to the latest version or is it better to go hackberry?
    The 2.1 dev beta is working ok for me. Worth it for the portrait keyboard in the messages app alone.
    06-16-12 06:49 AM
    My take
    - Pound for Pound at the current price levels it really is no brainer. There is no conceivable reason why you should choose anything else.
    - Yeah storage always runs out at some point and it helps if you can push stuff to cloud storage like Evernote, Dropbox etc.
    - I would not add all those contacts to your address book if I were you, it quickly - becomes unusable.
    - We have all been appalled by the boot time, it is atrocious.
    - You say you're a musician, did you know the PB is (the only?) tablet with loud stereo speakers?
    06-16-12 07:20 AM
    Its �250 !!! Go get one.

Over think things at full price. There's the odd numpty that wants it to be a tea's maid but for what it does and WILL do its a bargain.

It took me a year to finally buy one as I didn't feel the need but a couple of months down the line and I'm still enthralled with it.

EDIT: The only thing that has annoyed me is I cannot find a way to delete Youtube videos that have been saved on it.
    Last edited by Ben1232; 06-16-12 at 07:38 AM.
    06-16-12 07:35 AM
    So far using the itunes sync app, only 8109 songs to go!
    Vorkosigan likes this.
    06-16-12 07:57 AM
    Its �250 !!! Go get one.

Over think things at full price. There's the odd numpty that wants it to be a tea's maid but for what it does and WILL do its a bargain.

It took me a year to finally buy one as I didn't feel the need but a couple of months down the line and I'm still enthralled with it.

EDIT: The only thing that has annoyed me is I cannot find a way to delete Youtube videos that have been saved on it.
    Can't you kill them in file manager?
    06-16-12 09:37 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD