If you dislike Blackberrys that much can I ask why you are wasting your time posting on a Blackberry forum ??? Just asking
    He said he has a PB. I think he's referring specifically to BB phones.
    01-16-12 12:34 PM
    I sold my Torch 9800 on ebay and got $196 for it and got the GS II SkyRocket which I absolutely LOVE!!!! Night and day between the former BB and the GSII. I have better apps, batt life and I am now in 2012 . I thought about getting a beater BB to run with my Playbook but I dont see the point. There is an app called KiesAir that I can use to connect to Playbook to view files which is basically what I would need a BB phone to do. Only reason I would get a used BB phone now would be to use as a beater, meaning if it got scratched, dropped, lost or abused I would not give a f**K. Save your money.
    SkyRocket has a LTE radio. If one is in the LTE coverage area, it would hard to beat the speed. I have an Infuse, and I have grandfathered unlimited data. I rooted the Samsung and run Hotspot for my Playbook and my notebook. Still sitting on the fence about getting a BB phone.

I wish that BB would come out with a BB phone with LTE.
    Last edited by EWY; 01-16-12 at 12:39 PM.
    01-16-12 12:34 PM
    Are you crazy?
    01-16-12 12:42 PM
    The GalaxyII S is a fine phone. I bought one for my son. The only reason I can see for you to upgrade to a Blackberry at this point is to take advantage of the bridging. . As others have stated I'd stick with the BB7 phones though.
    01-16-12 01:11 PM
    I have a s2 and love it... Once I got my playbook I ended up getting the bold 9900.

As I've used the 9900 before I knew what the limitations are compared to the s2... As I'm aware and researched what I would gain/lose using the bold I'm happy with using the bold 9900 instead of the s2.

Best thing is to work out what you want in a phone

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    01-16-12 01:35 PM
    He said he has a PB. I think he's referring specifically to BB phones.
    I still don't get it,the Playbook will be so much better with a Blackberry phone as the reports and videos of the past few days have shown. I still can't understand why you would come onto a Blackberry forum and post how much better an Android phone is over a Blackberry phone even if you have bought a Playbook.
    Maybe I'm missing something in these posts but I'm having trouble seeing it if I have.
    01-16-12 04:20 PM
    If you dislike Blackberrys that much can I ask why you are wasting your time posting on a Blackberry forum ??? Just asking
    I was speaking of BB phone, BB phones can kick rocks. I love my PB.
    01-16-12 04:57 PM
    I still don't get it,the Playbook will be so much better with a Blackberry phone as the reports and videos of the past few days have shown. I still can't understand why you would come onto a Blackberry forum and post how much better an Android phone is over a Blackberry phone even if you have bought a Playbook.
    Maybe I'm missing something in these posts but I'm having trouble seeing it if I have.
    I don't know that anyone did say that, but think outside the box for a minute.

In a household like mine with multiple wifi devices, having an Android device helps. That is just my situation.

In any case, the people RIM needs to appeal to with the PB, IMHO, are the folks with non-RIM phones.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    01-16-12 05:00 PM
    I wouldn't switch if I were you. Please double check and do your research. You might end up really disappointed if you don't know what you are getting yourself into. Just an FYI, the pb and the bb phones do not currently have the same operating systems. So your pb experience may be totally different from your bb phone experience.
    01-16-12 05:14 PM
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Not as biased as I was expecting!

I am able to trade in my Galaxy S2 and it will pay off the rest of my contract that I bought myself out of. I now have the BB Torch 9860 on a new contract and so far I can do everything I want to that I could on my Galaxy with the exception of a good soccer score update app.

Hoping with OS2 and the touchscreen it will open up even more possibilities.

I have downloaded Splashtop, thinking tower upstairs, accessed by splashtop on my PB hooked up to the TV via HDMI and controlled by my Torch. The possibilities are endless!

Thanks agian.
    Switch was made and OP is perfectly happy atm, leave it at that! Something people often forget is that not everyone is a tech head. I do have an iphone, but it's been relegated to simply a phone again (texts and phone calls is largely pretty much it) since I got my pb.
    01-16-12 05:34 PM
    I use an android phone that came out around the same time as the GS2 and I can't really say there's anything BB bridging is going to offer me that would cause me to buy a phone based on what tablet I own. For my priorities phone comes first, tablet second. I can WiFi tether my PB to my phone, and I can connect and manage the entire file structure of both via WiFi without even enabling my carrier's mobile data with my phone. Which I guess leaves native email, which will be fixed soon. There's also the point that there's going to be some synergy between android phones and the PB in OS2 in terms of apps as well. So when all is said and done, I won't be able to use my android phone as a remote control trackball on my PB (they're both portable so who cares, silly feature IMO) or calender (don't care)
    01-17-12 08:38 AM
    Richdog- thanks for the info, I know the answer was always going to be biased but I needed the info more on the opinion of the phones.

I agree with everything you say about the S2 but 90% of the time I just make calls, text people and use it for twitter. I nearly always carry my PB around so was just testing the waters on whether to jump ship.

Cheers
    If your Primary usage is Phone Calls, Texting, Twitter,
    You will be just as happy with a 9360 as you are with the Samsung Galaxy 2, Both are great at Phone calls, texting, and twitter ( which is better at twitter is arguable)

You'll get a considerably smaller, and lighter phone moving to the Curve from the Galaxy, and I suspect considerably longer battery life as the curve family have always been great at battery management.

I don't see much in the point of trading in at this point. The only thing you stand to gain is calendar and contacts access on the PB via Bridge. But those features are supposed to be coming in a month (or two) anyways. By accessing your Mobile Hotspot function on the GSII, you have access to internet on the PB anyways.

I don't see the need for contacts on the PB anyways (personally), although the Calendar would be nice. But there is a decent Gmail calendar launcher that is available in AppWorld for that function.
    The Point at Trading from a S2 to a BlackBerry is for the Added bridge functionality in OS2,
    Getting to use your BlackBerry as a Keyboard, having the ability to "send to PlayBook" links, files, images, those are fantastic features of having both a BlackBerry and a PlayBook.
    The bridge is far more than Free Internet without a tether plan (not sure how the UK handled tether plans) and the Bridge in OS2.0 just really expands on what is being done, depending on how the API's get opened up more apps could take advantage of Bridge.

Would I trade a SG2/PB for a Curve/PB assuming I carry the combination around with me always, I would for sure, but if you find you leave your PB at home regularly you'll be missing the screen size of the SG2 for your recreational uses.
    01-17-12 08:51 AM
    having the ability to "send to PlayBook" links, files, images, those are fantastic features of having both a BlackBerry and a PlayBook.
    There's a free app in the android market that does all that called WiFi file explorer, and you don't need to install anything on the PB. It also streams any media content on your phone to your PB
    Rickroller likes this.
    01-17-12 08:56 AM
    There's a free app in the android market that does all that called WiFi file explorer, and you don't need to install anything on the PB. It also streams any media content on your phone to your PB
    Does it do it with Links? when I get an email on my Android I can select the link and open it in the Playbook with this app? or if I get a PDF attachment, I can Open it on the PlayBook without first downloading it to my phone?
    01-17-12 09:04 AM
    not sure, I haven't tried that but I know it does all files upload and download as well as media streaming. Hold on, isn't the PB getting email in a about a month anyway? Given all that, is a calender and a remote keyboard enough to really dictate a phone purchase either way? I don't think so.
    01-17-12 09:13 AM
    The Point at Trading from a S2 to a BlackBerry is for the Added bridge functionality in OS2,
    Getting to use your BlackBerry as a Keyboard, having the ability to "send to PlayBook" links, files, images, those are fantastic features of having both a BlackBerry and a PlayBook.
    The bridge is far more than Free Internet without a tether plan (not sure how the UK handled tether plans) and the Bridge in OS2.0 just really expands on what is being done, depending on how the API's get opened up more apps could take advantage of Bridge.

Would I trade a SG2/PB for a Curve/PB assuming I carry the combination around with me always, I would for sure, but if you find you leave your PB at home regularly you'll be missing the screen size of the SG2 for your recreational uses.
    I agree with most of your responses. When I originally replied, I hadn't yet seen the demo of the handset keyboard being used on the PB, and I agree, if you're going to be carrying both around constantly, then I could see the reason for a switch. Personally, I still wouldn't switch to something like a Curve..but I could for the Bold 9900..but that could be just me
    01-17-12 09:15 AM
    I agree with most of your responses. When I originally replied, I hadn't yet seen the demo of the handset keyboard being used on the PB, and I agree, if you're going to be carrying both around constantly, then I could see the reason for a switch. Personally, I still wouldn't switch to something like a Curve..but I could for the Bold 9900..but that could be just me
    As a fellow Atrix user to you: full screen browsing and android app market to a... Bold?? ewwwww
    you must really like physical keyboards a lot!
    01-17-12 09:19 AM
    did a search on app world...cant find the program.
    01-17-12 09:25 AM
    not sure, I haven't tried that but I know it does all files upload and download as well as media streaming. Hold on, isn't the PB getting email in a about a month anyway? Given all that, is a calender and a remote keyboard enough to really dictate a phone purchase either way? I don't think so.

The PB is getting email, and getting Calendar in a month yes,

I wont be connecting my email to my PlayBook most likely, but will be using my calendar, my BES email can stay on my Phone, I'll bridge if I want it on another device,

File upload/download is different than using another device as a viewer.
    You have similar functionality great, but you don't have all the same features.
    For YOU it isn't worth it, that's been established. for ME, and for Others it very much is, I can not stand typing on a touch screen, I've been waiting since November for them to release the Bridge mode that would give my PlayBook my Bold Keyboard
    01-17-12 09:27 AM
    As a fellow Atrix user to you: full screen browsing and android app market to a... Bold?? ewwwww
    He'd be doing Full Screen browsing on the PlayBook, so in that case the Atrix would be eewwwww
    01-17-12 09:29 AM
    I added the app, thanks! I have a Samsung so I also have Kies Air. Next step would be to learn how to "send to playbook". Right now it just looks like an explorer and could already do that through all share...sort of. Any tips on the "send to playbook"?
    01-17-12 09:29 AM
    Oh I agree 9900 is where it is at!,

But the pricepoint the OP had given was a curve price point, and even with the curve I'd still take it over a touchscreen experience.

I've been waiting since they previewed the Phone as a Keyboard in Toronto back in November for OS2! My PlayBook will be so much more useful
    01-17-12 09:30 AM
    Hehe..no I won't be switching to a Bold, I was just stating that I could see some who might want to given the new demo's of OS 2.0.

While the "remote control" feature of pairing a BB phone and the PB is nice, it's not something new to me, as I've been able to plug my phone into a TV via HDMI and use my phone as a keyboard, mouse trackpad, and essentially a "remote control" for over a year now. It's a nice feature, and while I haven't used it a lot, it's definately something that comes in handy with all the travelling I do.
    01-17-12 09:34 AM
    I've been waiting since they previewed the Phone as a Keyboard in Toronto back in November for OS2! My PlayBook will be so much more useful
    It is a nice feature, there is no denying that. I think really heavy PB users might have already gotten themselves a BT keyboard to use, but again, personally I hate carrying more around than I have to, so being able to pound out emails or something from your phone onto the PB will definately be an added bonus for those that use the PB for business.
    01-17-12 09:37 AM
    I'm in the same boat... personally I see the galaxy as something "nice" to have but it does not suffice for what I need in a phone. Blackberry on the other hand was much intergrated and simpler for my communication. The keyboard... hmm... plus Galaxy S2 wastes so much of my time being OCD about which apps are running and stuff and customizing. But to be honest the Galaxy S2 is a great phone, but I'm not using it differently than a blackberry. It's harder to use. What I would lose would be the nice camera.. that's it for me. But it's a phone, I don't NEED the nice camera. Everything has sacrifices, you just have to decide which ones worth it. ATM I am going to sell my S2 and probably get a berry again. It always felt right to me.
    01-17-12 11:23 AM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD