Morning All

I currently have a Samsung Galaxy S2 and I love it.

My problem, I have just become the proud owner of a playbook and have seen the recent demos at CES. I can get a good deal on my phone, approx �210 and could use this to fund a BB. I am only 6 months into a 24 month contract and I can't afford anything extra.

Looking around my options are the 9360 & the 9380 that run the latest OS.

Any opinion would be greatfully recieved even it is stick with my Galaxy.

Thanks in advance
    01-13-12 02:03 AM
    It would definitely be a nice upgrade for you. The combination of a playbook and a bold 9900 with it's amazing touch screen is out of this world amazing. And when OS2 comes along, the remote function with the bold's touch screen is gonna be crazy good.
    01-13-12 02:05 AM
    Thanks Evilmaster

As much as I would love the 9900 that is �500 out of contract so a no go I am afraid.

I want to keep in the missus good books so that when my contract runs out I can persuade her to let me splash out on the lovely new BB's coming our way!
    01-13-12 02:10 AM
    Just keep in mind that the devices you're mentioning are a slightly lower end in the BB family, so your icons and Internet resolution is not going to be like the Torch or the BOLD in the OS 7 family.

Still nice devices, and certainly a benefit to have with the PlayBook. Best thing to do is take a demo for a spin and see how you like the resolution and go from there. Is the Torch 9810 slider or the all touch 9860 in a similar price range to the curve in the UK? If so, or close, you might want to think about those as well. Good luck.
    01-13-12 02:24 AM
    Sorry but a Galaxy S2 to ANY BB is a definite DOWNGRADE in anything other than funcitonality with a Playbook, which really should not be a criteria for choosing a phone, especially as the upcoming OS2.0 update will give the Playbook all of the features it should have shipped with a year ago that do not require a BB device.

The S2 was by far the best phone I ever owned... the screen is still (barring resolution) the best on the market, the Exynos chipset is blazing fast and can pump out high (and I mean high, 30m/s+) bitrate 1080p media to a Plasma without breaking a sweat, the camera is sublime and still regarded as one of the best on any phone, and it will recieve an upgrade to Ice Cream very soon that will still make it competitive against the very latest smartphones. The overall experience, including Android and the choice of apps available, is in my opinion superior to that of BB (which I have a lot of experience with as I control the mobility for my company and we are heavy BB users). The hardware is dfinitely still better than anything BB can offer.

If you come to a BB forum expecting an objective opinion on whether you should buy a BB or not then you really need a short sharp slap in the mush and an injeciton of common sense to the eyeball.

Joking aside, there really is nothing besides niche functionality to gain by swapping your S2 to a BB, especially if you have already invested in the Android ecosystem and purchased apps etc. if you had said a lesser phone as the one you wanted to upgrade then I would agree with those above me, but the S2 still really has few competitors in this world... regardless of OS/platform.
    01-13-12 02:28 AM
    Richdog- thanks for the info, I know the answer was always going to be biased but I needed the info more on the opinion of the phones.

I agree with everything you say about the S2 but 90% of the time I just make calls, text people and use it for twitter. I nearly always carry my PB around so was just testing the waters on whether to jump ship.

Cheers
    glenixtr15 likes this.
    01-13-12 02:32 AM
    The Playbook will get Android app compatability in February and quality of apps, while dire at the moment thanks to unscrupulous distributors flooding the market, will get better. Just hold in there for the February update and then make an informed decision, there is no reason to rush anything before you get to try out the new OS and really see whats what. If after a couple of weeks of using the new OS with all the new functionality you still want to swap then sure, do it, you know your needs better than anyone else... I just don't personally think you would have much to gain in real terms considering how much functionality Android now provides as it continues to mature.
    01-13-12 03:44 AM
    Thanks Evilmaster

As much as I would love the 9900 that is �500 out of contract so a no go I am afraid.

I want to keep in the missus good books so that when my contract runs out I can persuade her to let me splash out on the lovely new BB's coming our way!
    I just went from a Droid 2 Global to a 9850 and it was actually an upgrade in many ways. There are a few things I miss about Android but overall I would make the same decision again. I simply communicate better and am more productive with BB. Also, an Android user will feel more at home on the 9850/60 due to the touch screen. Adding the PB in the mix makes it really nice.

I would stay away from any non-OS7 devices though.
    01-13-12 05:44 AM
    I would hold onto your GS2 just in case
    01-13-12 06:41 AM
    Bold will seem tiny after the galaxy phone, If you can afford it add a second line and get yourself a new curve to use with your playbook.
    01-13-12 06:45 AM
    Richdog- thanks for the info, I know the answer was always going to be biased but I needed the info more on the opinion of the phones.

I agree with everything you say about the S2 but 90% of the time I just make calls, text people and use it for twitter. I nearly always carry my PB around so was just testing the waters on whether to jump ship.

Cheers
    if that is what u use the phone for then the bb with a keyboard is great. for communication it cant be beat. simplicity in making calls and ease to type out messages is truly the best. for media and all other stuff you can use the playbook.

i recommend u take the plunge, i dont think you'll regret it based on your usage description.
    01-13-12 06:53 AM
    Trading a Samsung, or any phone for that matter, for a Blackberry phone is always an upgrade; very much like the transition from adolescence to adulthood.
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 01-13-12 at 06:59 AM.
    01-13-12 06:56 AM
    It's always Worth It to Upgrade from Android to Blackberry..
    every Device has theirs Own Characteristic and Fun..
    Always Worth to Upgrade for blackberry + Playbook = Perfect Blackberry Bridge
    and Blackberry for BBM...
    01-13-12 07:18 AM
    I own both a Samsung Galaxy IIS and a Blackberry Bold 9900. My wife carries the GIIS. I configured her phone for her and have used it extensively. I like the phone for all its excellent features and appreciate Android OS. It really is a great phone. However, I still wouldn't trade my BB 9900 for her phone. On the other hand, If I didn't have a Playbook, I probably would have gone with another device; most likely the GIIS as I am still a faithful tMobile customer.
    01-13-12 08:49 AM
    I don't see much in the point of trading in at this point. The only thing you stand to gain is calendar and contacts access on the PB via Bridge. But those features are supposed to be coming in a month (or two) anyways. By accessing your Mobile Hotspot function on the GSII, you have access to internet on the PB anyways.

I don't see the need for contacts on the PB anyways (personally), although the Calendar would be nice. But there is a decent Gmail calendar launcher that is available in AppWorld for that function.
    01-13-12 08:54 AM
    Trading a Samsung, or any phone for that matter, for a Blackberry phone is always an upgrade; very much like the transition from adolescence to adulthood.
    It's posts like these that just antogonize other users on this site, and turn threads into flame wars. So thanks for this not so useful contribution.
    01-13-12 08:55 AM
    Morning All

My problem, I have just become the proud owner of a playbook and have seen the recent demos at CES. I can get a good deal on my phone, approx �210 and could use this to fund a BB. I am only 6 months into a 24 month contract and I can't afford anything extra.

Thanks in advance
    I have been using a Blackberry since the 9000 came out and upgraded with each "Bold" incarnation when they were available (UK user so 9700 then 9780). I loved the 9000, the keyboard was huge and allowed me to shoot off long emails very quickly, but the more I used it the more the limitations became apparent - OS software problems, short of memory (it had 128mb then 256mb finally 512mb), and hardware quality control issues. But despite these problems the problems (one or a combination of the three mentioned) persisted in each subsequent phone.

I jumped to the G2 on a one year contract to give Android a try and there were a few adjustments I had to make. IMO:

The screen (huge), the UI (almost endless custom screens), the app choice (this is good but can also be very bad), the lack of keyboard (I've had the S2 for 5 months now and am still not fully comfortable with the touch screen keyboard). The build quality is better than the Blackberries I use to have and the OS crashes less (about 3 times so far since I had it as opposed to the BB's which crashed that much a week after about 3 months). The web browser works at near desk/laptop speeds unlike the one on the BB's I had.

Since I got the S2 the 9900 came out (or around the same time) and every time I have to shoot off a longish email I think longingly back to the BB9000 keyboard!

To cap off, ask yourself how important is it to access the internet when you are not near wifi, and if important, how important is it to view the results on a 7" screen as opposed to the 4" on your S2.

Despite all this I would probably go back to a Blackberry myself - just for the keyboard, despite all the problems I encountered in the past, but I would keep the S2 as a spare or 2nd phone (only if RIM stop making anymore aesthetically challenged phones like the current batch). Like others have said on posts here Playbook OS 2 is coming giving the Playbook more functionality with native email and contacts. Perhaps wait until the update comes before making the jump, once you do you will miss the physical keyboard!

Just as a point of reference, I'm 43 and my son is 16, we have both had BB's and we have both touchscreen phones and we both miss the keyboard, admittedly me more but then I type in English as opposed to text-speak!
    01-13-12 10:15 AM
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Not as biased as I was expecting!

I am able to trade in my Galaxy S2 and it will pay off the rest of my contract that I bought myself out of. I now have the BB Torch 9860 on a new contract and so far I can do everything I want to that I could on my Galaxy with the exception of a good soccer score update app.

Hoping with OS2 and the touchscreen it will open up even more possibilities.

I have downloaded Splashtop, thinking tower upstairs, accessed by splashtop on my PB hooked up to the TV via HDMI and controlled by my Torch. The possibilities are endless!

Thanks agian.
    01-16-12 07:02 AM
    if that is what u use the phone for then the bb with a keyboard is great. for communication it cant be beat. simplicity in making calls and ease to type out messages is truly the best. for media and all other stuff you can use the playbook.

i recommend u take the plunge, i dont think you'll regret it based on your usage description.
    Well... no. It's really down to preference. Physical keyboard or virtual makes no difference once you get use to it. Typing on a new platform is always discouraging at first because it's new and your muscle memory that you've developed from your previous device is probably incompatible with your new =D

Calling is pretty simple in any phone. iOS / Android / bb / wp7 and really shouldn't be a deciding factor. I especially like iOS / Android voice control calling as it's pretty accurate =D

Communication is just as good on any platform, and if one spent as much time improving at the BB keyboard as they did on other keyboards, they'll find that it's just as good ^_^
    01-16-12 10:49 AM
    Morning All

Thanks in advance
    I sold my Torch 9800 on ebay and got $196 for it and got the GS II SkyRocket which I absolutely LOVE!!!! Night and day between the former BB and the GSII. I have better apps, batt life and I am now in 2012 . I thought about getting a beater BB to run with my Playbook but I dont see the point. There is an app called KiesAir that I can use to connect to Playbook to view files which is basically what I would need a BB phone to do. Only reason I would get a used BB phone now would be to use as a beater, meaning if it got scratched, dropped, lost or abused I would not give a f**K. Save your money.
    01-16-12 10:58 AM
    I sold my Torch 9800 on ebay and got $196 for it and got the GS II SkyRocket which I absolutely LOVE!!!! Night and day between the former BB and the GSII. I have better apps, batt life and I am now in 2012 . I thought about getting a beater BB to run with my Playbook but I dont see the point. There is an app called KiesAir that I can use to connect to Playbook to view files which is basically what I would need a BB phone to do. Only reason I would get a used BB phone now would be to use as a beater, meaning if it got scratched, dropped, lost or abused I would not give a f**K. Save your money.
    If you dislike Blackberrys that much can I ask why you are wasting your time posting on a Blackberry forum ??? Just asking
    alnamvet68 and jivegirl14 like this.
    01-16-12 11:12 AM
    As much as I like BB, going from a GSII to a Curve will not be a good move. A Bold 9900 or a Torch 9850/9860, might be.
    01-16-12 11:51 AM
    IMO I wouldnt trade the s2 for a bb, but it really depends on what you want to be able to do, just because you get a playbook doesnt mean you need a bb to go along with it. The sync between the devices is great and only getting better with OS2 but some of the features may be uneccessary to some people. Its all a matter of personal opinion, seems like a waste of money to me though, Id probably wait till you're ready to upgrade phones.
    01-16-12 11:52 AM
    I don't see much in the point of trading in at this point. The only thing you stand to gain is calendar and contacts access on the PB via Bridge. But those features are supposed to be coming in a month (or two) anyways. By accessing your Mobile Hotspot function on the GSII, you have access to internet on the PB anyways.

I don't see the need for contacts on the PB anyways (personally), although the Calendar would be nice. But there is a decent Gmail calendar launcher that is available in AppWorld for that function.
    Um free internet on the playbook!!! Duh
    01-16-12 12:29 PM
    There are a lot of factors that need to be considered and they definitely depend on the user. My plan is simple…
    Option 1-Wait for OS2 to be released and let others determine the best BB phone. At this time, it looks like anything without a touch screen won’t utilize all of the new features and anything less than the 1 GHz processor might be too much of a transition for you. The best part about remaining patient is that you won’t get stuck with a device that falls a bit short.
    Option 2-Set a dollar amount that you can live with if you cannot wait. I am in the market for a near mint 9810 (twice as fast as the 9800) for $150 or less. If I cannot find one, my Captivate will work well since the remote feature isn’t here yet.
    01-16-12 12:30 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD