:::

Do the Battery Drain at the Email Client Manual / Push setting bug
    Are fixed at OS v2.0.1.358 yet?

Before the Manual Receive will drain battery unless we have to
    Set it to Push to avoid.

Thanks

:::
    Last edited by Talon88; 05-01-12 at 08:25 PM.
    04-22-12 07:33 PM
    I'm not sure but mine sure does drain fast if I leave it sit around and I have the latest build in it. Might be that my pb is older, I bought it used at Christmas.
    04-22-12 07:38 PM
    I don't think we've heard from anyone who experienced the Manual sync problem with high battery drain under 2.0.0 and who has re-tested under 2.0.1.

If we go another few weeks with nobody new showing up with the problem, chances are good it's been fixed.

Anyone who had it consistently before want to switch back to Manual sync for a while and see if the issue is still here?
    04-22-12 08:00 PM
    My battery is very good for the most part but I have noticed once or twice that it dropped fast but I have also noticed it exceeding normal expectations as well. I guess it may depend on what's doing what in the background???
    04-22-12 08:54 PM
    I don't think we've heard from anyone who experienced the Manual sync problem with high battery drain under 2.0.0 and who has re-tested under 2.0.1.

If we go another few weeks with nobody new showing up with the problem, chances are good it's been fixed.

Anyone who had it consistently before want to switch back to Manual sync for a while and see if the issue is still here?
    I completely abandoned Native email after the Manual Sync issue and have not tried to restore it.

I guess I could test Manual, but I'm concentrating on the 32gig pb and its power loss in Standby. I may have another spreadsheet to ship you before calling Rim and seeing if they will acknowledge poor standby performance as a warranty issue.
    04-22-12 08:55 PM
    I leave mine in manual all the time for my pop3 account and never experienced the battery drain issue, even with 2.0. I leave WiFi on, bluetooth off and am in WiFi 95% of the time. Also have a BES account active, also a sideloaded Kindle app.
    04-22-12 09:23 PM
    Just turn you wifi off. This has fixed everything for me. Before I had to connect my pb every evening to the power source. Turning wifi off enlengthens this to 2 days.
    04-23-12 02:11 AM
    I just went three days without a charge, using my PB sporadically for a few minutes at a time, and it still had nearly 40% battery when I put it into the charger dock last.

Note: This was with wifi and bluetooth both enabled, push email active via two gmail accounts, and after spending a few hours streaming music to my bt headphones while doing yard work outside.

Overall, very impressed with battery life under the latest update - much improved over 2.0, at least in my exprience...

RCK
    04-23-12 02:16 AM
    Just one ActiveSync account set to manual would drain my BB Bold 9930 battery as well as the PB battery. Can anyone confirm this scenario is better?
    04-23-12 02:47 AM
    Has anyone experienced the rapid battery drain when using manual email sync since the upgrade to OS 2.01?

Has this bug been confirmed to be fixed?
    04-25-12 04:22 PM
    PB_Owner, see post #3 in this thread.. The situation hasn't changed yet. Problem is, nobody who actually had the problem before seems to have tried going back to Manual with 2.0.1 to see if they could reproduce it. Unless enough people do, we'll just have to wait a few more weeks and if nobody shows up reporting that particular problem, we can assume it's fixed. It's still too soon to say it's fixed merely because nobody new is reporting it. Even with 2.0.0 the number of reports dropped off pretty quickly, possibly because we'd created enough threads about it that newcomers were actually finding them instead of posting.
    04-25-12 06:42 PM
    OMG for the LAST time the bug IS NOT FIXED YET

The last time I posted I got no reply. I was looking for the same info: IS ANYBODY STILL EXPERIENCING THIS after the 2.0.1 update?! Because I am. Like someone said above, I once again deleted my accounts from the Playbook due to the bug. I'm currently using Bridge PIM

And for those who don't know what we're talking about or claim to see no battery drain problem in OS2 or 2.0.1, try this:
    Set your email accounts to NOT Push (turn Push off) and change the sync to Manual (not 1hr, 2hrs, etc.). What you will find is AT LEAST 40% battery drain overnight, and also you will find the back of your Playbook (the BB logo) will be hot to the touch during any part of the day
    04-25-12 09:44 PM
    cleveland216, thanks for confirming this, if you mean you've tried putting your PB back on Manual sync and it began showing high standby drain, and that when you took it back off Manual it no longer shows high standby drain.

Note that if I do exactly the same thing you're describing, NOTHING BAD HAPPENS.

This isn't and never was a 100% consistent experience across all devices, so it's not quite so easy for everyone to figure out the problem is still there as you make it sound.
    04-25-12 11:22 PM
    oh

it sure bothers the heck outta me
    04-25-12 11:28 PM
    I'm setting up a test now. I'll report tomorrow morning my findings on battery drain. I just added my Hotmail and Gmail accounts and my battery currently stands at 43%. I'm running 2.0.1.358 on my Playbook.
    04-26-12 12:03 AM
    I'm setting up a test now. I'll report tomorrow morning my findings on battery drain. I just added my Hotmail and Gmail accounts and my battery currently stands at 43%. I'm running 2.0.1.358 on my Playbook.
    Rather than really pushing the battery drain, why not charge it up quite a bit more and then test.

I had the issue when I tried twice under the PRIOR OS but have not tried it under the new OS. Frankly, I'm still waiting for rim to fix the 15 minute snooze issue. And I want my spellcheck and predictive text back, too. So, I'll allow one of their 3.5 real beta testers to do more work, frankly!!!!
    04-26-12 12:35 AM
    I am glad I found this thread, I was about to do a security wipe thinking a side loaded app was causing an excessive battery drain on my Playbook then I remembered I removed the push setting for my email account when I upgraded thinking they fixed that bug. I set my email account back to push my emails and my excessive battery drain stopped immediately, I am quite upset that this bug has not been fixed !
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-26-12 06:45 AM
    I am glad I found this thread, I was about to do a security wipe thinking a side loaded app was causing an excessive battery drain on my Playbook then I remembered I removed the push setting for my email account when I upgraded thinking they fixed that bug. I set my email account back to push my emails and my excessive battery drain stopped immediately, I am quite upset that this bug has not been fixed !
    FINALLY!!! Somebody feels my pain!

BTW I was gonna post pics, but my 43% battery didn't last overnight after I added the accounts. Yep 0%, Playbook completely off this morning.

And like F2, I'm not beta testing anymore, no more security wipes or OS downgrade to see if there's a magic fix for this. I security wiped in original official OS2, frankly it's quite annoying starting all app settings from scratch. I'll leave that for someone else.
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-26-12 07:25 AM
    Cleveland, hopefully, it is recharging without issues this morning.

My older 32gig (with better battery health) hit 3% or 4% yesterday in a Standby Test. It went from 100% to the low value in about 2.5 days which I don't think should be normal. So I fully recharged it and then actually powered it off. I guess I will call Rim and see if they acknowledge it is a problem. My 64gig loses very little on Standby overnight with the same settings for wifi and bt.
    04-26-12 08:54 AM
    yeah its fine during recharging, charges even faster now that i deleted the accounts again.
    You're right, not much battery drain should happen when in standby for a couple of days.
    04-26-12 09:21 AM
    ...This isn't and never was a 100% consistent experience across all devices, so it's not quite so easy for everyone to figure out the problem is still there as you make it sound.
    you may be right. I will be getting another PB32 soon (from cowboom yesterday). Actually I'm hoping it has OS1 on it, I like the homescreen app-switching better, it was more fun

But if I get a security-wiped or OS2-updated Playbook, I will make sure adding my email accounts is the first thing I do. It will be interesting if the battery doesn't drain
    04-26-12 09:40 AM
    After an overnight test, I can also confirm that an IMAP account with PUSH=OFF and SYNC INTERVAL = MANUAL still has the rapid battery discharge in Standby mode. However, I can change the settings to SYNC INTERVAL = 24 HOURS and the account behavior is the same as MANUAL since I can manually sync each time I open the Messages app. In this configuration the battery drain under Standby is normal.
    04-26-12 05:50 PM
    I use Airplane Mode when I am on standby and it lasts for days.
    04-26-12 06:08 PM
    I use Airplane Mode when I am on standby and it lasts for days.
    I accept that may be the case but it should not be necessary to place it in Airplane Mode. My 64gig does not drain inordinately in Standby overnight. (added after the fact) I should add, that it is NOT in Airplane Mode overnight.

(edited to add that last sentence)
    Last edited by F2; 04-27-12 at 08:41 AM.
    peter9477 likes this.
    04-26-12 08:49 PM
    Can I get a link to teh thread that proves this bug exists? I've tried finding it but no luck. I'm curious because I have mine set to manual and haven't been hit with this problem.
    04-29-12 08:45 AM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD