What kind of display technology does the PlayBook have? Is it Retina, Super Amoled, Active Matrix TFT or maybe Super LCD? How does it compare to all the other high grade screen on the market?
    12-12-10 04:31 AM
    Retina refers to the DPI (pixel density) of the display. It has nothing to do with the technology used to create the display. The PlayBook won't be a retina display, though it does have a higher pixel density than the iPad. Manufacturing high DPI displays for large screens like the PlayBook is quite expensive. Additionally, the high resolutions require significant power to drive. Achieving the same pixel density as the iPhone 4 on large displays also isn't possible with current chips, most of them top out at 1920x1200.

At this point they haven't said anything on display technology, but I think Super AMOLED is unlikely. Even Samsung didn't use them in their own tablet due to shortages. In general I put low probability on OLED technology, it's probably LCD.

The technology itself isn't important, it's the results it produces. I've seen a few comments from people who have seen them in person that the display looks great.
    12-12-10 11:36 AM
    I'd be more concerned with how durable it is than what tech they are using. Since this is supposed to be a device that you pop into a large pocket it would need a very tough screen to avoid scratches, cracks, etc. The Tab has gorilla glass to avoid that problem.
    12-12-10 11:45 AM
    I'm pretty sure it's going to be whatever's cheap, durable, with rich colours, accurate, and is in ready supply.
    12-12-10 12:33 PM
    The display is excellent. And no its not Super AMOLED.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    mover23 and tumer like this.
    12-13-10 06:50 AM
    The display is excellent. And no its not Super AMOLED.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I hope it has excellent black levels, like my Storm. While the Touch 4G has richer blacks than the previous gen touchs, my 4G touch still leaves a lot to be desired (in the contrast dept.) when I watch movies on it--sure the resolution is awesome, but the snappy blacks of my Storm are SO superior that I prefer watching movies on the Storm. (sure wish Netflix would put out an app for the BB's)
    12-13-10 10:07 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD