Hi guys

Just loaded the latest PB patch via OTA update this morning. Since then it's almost like it is only displaying 256 colours (very grainy and washed out). It also almost looks like there is a ghost image on the display.

Anyone else had these issues? I have rebooted. I have not tried a wipe yet, will try it tonight, but wanted to see if anyone else seen anything like this?

I have the 16GB WiFi version.
    04-18-12 09:12 AM
    I have the same problem, also saw some other guy having the same issue at BlackBerry Technical Solution Center Knowledgebase... - BlackBerry Support Community Forums

I've installed a Backup, rebricked the device twice, but still have those ghost-images.

04-18-12 01:56 PM
    The 16GB BlackBerry PlayBook I have updated last night to OS 2.0.1.358 is not exhibiting any of the display problems reported in this thread. Try shutting down the tablet for 20 minutes and then power-up the tablet. If this fails to improve the display you should contact BlackBerry PlayBook Technical Support. I am now displaying a high-resolution photograph using the Pictures application and it looks perfect. Also, the background wallpaper appears as crisp as before the update.
    04-18-12 02:21 PM
    turnig it off over the night did not help either. i am going to call rim support today

but i am pretty sure, that this is an software problem, because the amount of ghost pictures is varying.

its like looking through transparent layers of screens: when i open the browser with a blank page, i still see the icons from the main screen and the blackberry startscreen logo

best regards
    04-18-12 11:59 PM
    Hmmm, can you take a screenshot? Also, download the free Display test app, it cycles through various solid color screens, see if it affects only one color or all, ect.
    04-19-12 12:09 AM
    Hey guys

Ok, as spookycoder above states, it's almost like laying tracing paper one on top of the other. The top image displays, but all the other screens that have displayed previously are also there in the background and show through. I had Display Test running for a few hours yesterday on the black screen, and the images went away for a very short time. On powering the PB up again this morning the problem is back. It's the weirdest thing. I am also convinced its a software problem. I'm going to try and go back to a previous version now, will post the results as soon as I am done.
    04-19-12 04:12 AM
    Talked to the RIM Support this day, I have to send it in to repair it.

Her i took a photo with my phone:

You can see the amazon and the ebay logo from the browser start-screen when it in full screen mode, and if you look exactly the "blackberry playbook" logo from the system startup...

Yesterday, after my third attempt to install the OS via USB it got stuck, I had to switch it off, and for a short time the pictures went away ...
    04-19-12 05:40 AM
    You know what's weird? I'm getting slight ghosting like yours, on that Grey like color of the browser, and on the battery Guru splash screen. It comes and goes, and is really faint. That's weird, not really a problem for me, but thought it might be worth mentioning!

Ya actually, the splash screen on the messages app is showing my time ghosting right now. It changes, and fades over time, it looks like lcd screen burn, but isn't. So weird.
    Last edited by Princepia; 04-19-12 at 09:21 PM.
    04-19-12 09:12 PM
    Have same problem after update too. Did 2 installs from desktop software (update) and problem has not gone away. 16GB Playbook. Thanks for posting thread.
    alan
    04-20-12 07:44 PM
    same happened here! tried wiping the device but that didn't help, now trying to switch it off over night, will keep you updated!
    04-23-12 03:51 AM
    I i am also experiencing the same issue.

Happened on the 19th.
    Happened when the playbook battery was completely drained.

After full charge i began to notice the problem.

I have done a reboot and 3 security wipes and the problem is still there.

Its like the refresh rate is lagging.

Since the OS install did not fix the problem, i am thinking it is not a software issue.
    04-23-12 01:38 PM
    I i am also experiencing the same issue.

Happened on the 19th.
    Happened when the playbook battery was completely drained.

After full charge i began to notice the problem.

I have done a reboot and 3 security wipes and the problem is still there.

Its like the refresh rate is lagging.

Since the OS install did not fix the problem, i am thinking it is not a software issue.
    I don't strictly agree that it can't be software. I literally updated the PB and on the reboot the problem was very obvious. Right now I'm really stuck. Use the PB daily at the office, but the problem is so bad I can hardly read certain emails when combined with certain colours. I too have tried a few wipes and reboots, problem is always right there. Tried running the battery down and giving it a full charge. Even tried a complete reinstall (this kept failing though). Still need to figure this one out.
    04-24-12 12:11 AM
    I don't know if it was the OS or a coincidence for these problems but there are now some threads on rolling back to the prior OS. While that move might not fix the problem, it might be something to try. Search for user "Bounce" (that's a partial id, as I don't recall his number!!!!)
    04-24-12 08:51 AM
    Anyone have any update on this problem?
    05-01-12 01:50 AM
    Ok, now today the power button does not work (but only when the PB has booted up) and it is no longer charging. I cannot return my PB as it is out of warranty, but I still don't see how this is not software related.

Also, it is extremely difficult for me to downgrade the software as I run Linux on all my machines. A Windows VM does not recognise the PB in order to reload the OS.
    05-02-12 02:19 AM
    ive logged about 5 hours since last week, on the phone, with tech support. same issue. they're sending me a new playbook. i told them that i refuse to turn it off and turn it back on anylonger...clearly its messed. i think im regretting my new purchase.
    05-02-12 02:35 AM
    mine is being picked up for repair in a few days, I will keep you updated!
    05-02-12 05:27 AM
    Ok, now today the power button does not work (but only when the PB has booted up) and it is no longer charging. I cannot return my PB as it is out of warranty, but I still don't see how this is not software related.

Also, it is extremely difficult for me to downgrade the software as I run Linux on all my machines. A Windows VM does not recognise the PB in order to reload the OS.
    You have had your pb for more than a year? You could still try calling them since it can't be much over a year???

Good luck
    05-02-12 09:17 AM
    i got my new pb and now know not to update wirelessly. be sure to connect to your computer before doing so...... i've been told that sometimes information can be lost in wireless space. all is well now, but whatever. it was still a pain in the a$$..thanks for letting the newbies know before an important upload. it would have been nice to have had a physical manual to reference. apparently, according to bb tech support, no one reads them anymore. WHAT?! oh...okay then
    The White Wolf likes this.
    05-07-12 08:38 PM
    Problem solved, unit was picked up monday and today fedex brought me a new one, very fast service of blackberry!
    05-09-12 09:00 AM
    Okay for those that are out of warranty.. Cheap fix is to run a black image for a while.. It should correct the color issue but the images will eventually burn in again.
    05-10-12 04:51 PM
    Okay now it's funny because I did not even do anything.. Neither loaded any os or installed apps. I was using my pb checking my emails and then I placed it on table for 5 mins to check something on my computer and when I went back to my pb and turned it on from standby..there is this misty screen and I can see ghosting images from previous screen. I wiped it and reinstalled os but the problem remains. It's been about 14 months I purchased this pb and I am not in a country right now where I could get rim support. So please community members please help me and let me know if there is any solution to this problem. If this is a hardware defect and with so many people having same problem I swear I will not purchase any bb device anymore. I paid 300$ for this device and I was waiting like crazy for bb10 on pb. So I hope u all can feel me.
    Last edited by Sauravbhattarai; 05-09-13 at 04:44 AM.
    05-09-13 12:55 AM
    Don't know if this would be any help but can you try attaching the PB to a monitor or TV with the HDMI cord to see if the TV shows the same effects? Might localize the problem a little.
    05-09-13 02:11 AM
    Thanks, I tried and it looks good on monitor. Even screenshots came clear.. here i have an attachment. Also the pictures taken from camera is clear. However, on pb its still the same, the colors of icons and all are still good, not much faded but there are lots of ghost images of windows that i previously browsed. Even while i reboot pb in which it shows blackberry and loading circles, i can see images of my facebook and emails. Since a lot of people are having exact same problem, I am really not sure if its a hardware problem or a software problem. Would really love to know if anyone indeed figured out the problem and fixed it.
    Attached Thumbnails Display problem after latest update-img_00000006.jpg  
    05-09-13 03:56 AM
    Just a note. Ghost images dont appear on solid colors like white background when im browsing web or just any solid colors in fullscreen. I used an android app called dead pixel detector and it has function to display solid colors in fullscreen. In this app i dont see any ghost images. But outside it , even my keyboard is a little faded.

Edit: black solid color shows ghosting
    05-09-13 04:36 AM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD