In today's capitalist democracies/oligarchies, voting with your wallet is the only way to get things done. I too am not a Microsoft advocate, I try my best to use FOSS and libre software but sometimes proprietary technologies are the only option. My experience with the PlayBook and BBRY's shenanigans have influenced me to avoid walled gardens and proprietary platforms like the plague... what use is the PB once third party developers stop working on it, and buggy apps are left unfixed? Not to mention the buggy system apps left unfixed by a manufacturer that couldn't give a damn.

My next tablet would be either an Android or an Ubuntu device with unlocked bootloaders. At least with those, I own the hardware - I can open it up, flash whatever OS I want, do anything I want if the manufacturer drops support or goes belly up.
    05-23-13 09:38 PM
    democracies/oligarchies,
    I was reading an article the other day and it pointed out that we (Americans, Europeans, other developed nations) live in pathocracies - nations run by psychopaths.
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    05-24-13 02:55 AM
    Even with BB10 I would not recommend the playbook now. BB10 still doesn't look totally finished. If it comes it will be good but it won't be a miracle for us.

As for the phones, they are technically just ok, and priced twice their worth. Pricing them higher than the last HTC or Sony flagships is beyond ridiculous.
    05-24-13 06:48 AM
    Even with BB10 I would not recommend the playbook now. BB10 still doesn't look totally finished. If it comes it will be good but it won't be a miracle for us.

As for the phones, they are technically just ok, and priced twice their worth. Pricing them higher than the last HTC or Sony flagships is beyond ridiculous.

Wish there were "finished" OSs. They are always a work in progress. The desire is to get a few more features, increase stability/speed, and maintain app compatibility. I think that is all we want.
    05-24-13 07:26 AM
    This thread is so full of fail. Since my daughter just turned 13, I'll have to use CB when I need to experience some tweener-like tantrums. Thanks for that, I guess...
    05-24-13 12:56 PM
    Where did you even see a PlayBook for sale, anyway? Hasn't been any available in my town since... Probably the beginning of the year.
    Amazon.com: blackberry playbook
    05-24-13 03:33 PM
    This thread is so full of fail. Since my daughter just turned 13, I'll have to use CB when I need to experience some tweener-like tantrums. Thanks for that, I guess...
    I like how you see this as a tantrum. Yeah, consumers exercising their right to tell other consumers their experiences with a company is real childish. I see 5 - 15 year olds boycotting companies all the time.

Do you have a PB? If so, you really have no apps that are no longer being updated? Have no interest in any of the apps that have came out for BB10? Have no interest in USB OTG, native apps running Cascades, or any of the other BB10 features we were led to believe we would get?
    How could you recommend BlackBerry to anyone knowing how badly they have failed the consumers who kept them going when they were struggling?
    05-24-13 03:39 PM
    I love my PB and use it every day. It's not a perfect tablet, but it does everything I need it to. It has a great quality build, and it has a great web browser and great games. I also use Blaq on it for twitter, and I love the calendar app. There are numerous other apps that are great as well.

Would I recommend it? Well, I've bought two for my kids, one for my brother, and suggested one for my sister's son. It's vastly superior to a cheap Polaroid Android tablet my mom got for my niece (it didn't have Google Play so it lacked the full Android experience, it was very cheaply made). That actually ended up broken within a few weeks but I can't say it wouldn't have happened with the PB too since my niece dropped it.

Am I bummed about BB10 not being on PB (yet)? Definitely, but that's only because the BB10 experience is even better and getting some apps for BB10 to the PB would be great (no guarantee though that they'd straight-up work without developer intervention, which they may not bother with anyway).

I don't see why you'd dissuade someone from buying BB, although I understand if you don't want to actively suggest them, but it's really about the individual. If they want my help, I'm vastly more knowledgeable about BB so I can help them. If they need certain apps that don't exist on the PB, then certainly they may be better served with an Android tablet (not a crappy one though).

It just seems the OP is just being vindictive. If the PB never gets BB10, it will suck, but the PB is what it is. The Z10 is a different beast altogether though.
    Dallin Crump likes this.
    05-24-13 04:22 PM
    I love my PB and use it every day. It's not a perfect tablet, but it does everything I need it to. It has a great quality build, and it has a great web browser and great games. I also use Blaq on it for twitter, and I love the calendar app. There are numerous other apps that are great as well.

Would I recommend it? Well, I've bought two for my kids, one for my brother, and suggested one for my sister's son. It's vastly superior to a cheap Polaroid Android tablet my mom got for my niece (it didn't have Google Play so it lacked the full Android experience, it was very cheaply made). That actually ended up broken within a few weeks but I can't say it wouldn't have happened with the PB too since my niece dropped it.

Am I bummed about BB10 not being on PB (yet)? Definitely, but that's only because the BB10 experience is even better and getting some apps for BB10 to the PB would be great (no guarantee though that they'd straight-up work without developer intervention, which they may not bother with anyway).

I don't see why you'd dissuade someone from buying BB, although I understand if you don't want to actively suggest them, but it's really about the individual. If they want my help, I'm vastly more knowledgeable about BB so I can help them. If they need certain apps that don't exist on the PB, then certainly they may be better served with an Android tablet (not a crappy one though).

It just seems the OP is just being vindictive. If the PB never gets BB10, it will suck, but the PB is what it is. The Z10 is a different beast altogether though.
    Yeah well I'm one of those folks who had decided that even if they could afford to upgrade their current handset to a BB10 handset, I wouldn't do so until BB10 was on my PB. You can think I'm being vindictive but it's just voting with what little resource I have left. Like any other thing I vote on, my opinion of my experience with this company is a perfectly valid topic when my PB comes up in conversation with other consumers. I did not say the guy said "I'm gonna rush down and buy a competitors tablet right away" after I discouraged him. For all I know he may go out and purchase BlackBerry. But if he does so, it's without my endorsement as a current consumer of BlackBerry goods and services.

For that matter, my sister is her own person. She still might buy a PlayBook, might get a Z or Q 10. But once again it would be without the endorsement of this current BlackBerry user.

I personally don't understand how someone could recommend a PB to someone they liked and still have a clear conscience,. And the experience I have with feeling like we PB owners have just been dismissed out of hand is why I, personally, choose to discourage people who ask about my tablet, to not buy BlackBerry at all.

When they were struggling, and were stringing us PB owners along, I encouraged everyone to buy PB's over Android Tabs and iPads (which I still discourage people from buying, as stated in previous post I don't support Apple Google or Microsoft for various reasons; BlackBerry was the only acceptable ecosystem for me morally, now even they are failing in that respect), and anyone talking about upgrading their phone would hear me chime in that they should wait, BlackBerry was coming out with an awesome new OS that they had built from the ground up. Since I can't go back in time and change my endorsement in the past, I can only change my endorsement for now and in the future.

And if BlackBerry brings BB10 to the PB, like any rational, objective person I will admit I was wrong and change my endorsement back to BlackBerry. Until then, they have lost my endorsement and have gained an active detractor.
    blueberrymerry likes this.
    05-24-13 06:46 PM
    I personally don't understand how someone could recommend a PB to someone they liked and still have a clear conscience,. And the experience I have with feeling like we PB owners have just been dismissed out of hand is why I, personally, choose to discourage people who ask about my tablet, to not buy BlackBerry at all.
    Precisely. BBRY chose to ignore those users *and* developers who kept the BB10 dream alive by actively using its predecessor QNX-based platform. Without these users and developers in the time between BB OS7 and BB10, there wouldn't be much interest for the new devices.

Microsoft made a mess of not allowing WP7 phones to get WP8, but a lot of features were backported to WP7 updates and they share most of the same app frameworks so older apps can still run. BBRY just dumped the PlayBook - which developer wants to code for that buggy piece of junk PBOS when they can get the full Cascades framework on BB10?
    05-24-13 09:41 PM
    I like how you see this as a tantrum. Yeah, consumers exercising their right to tell other consumers their experiences with a company is real childish. I see 5 - 15 year olds boycotting companies all the time.

Do you have a PB? If so, you really have no apps that are no longer being updated? Have no interest in any of the apps that have came out for BB10? Have no interest in USB OTG, native apps running Cascades, or any of the other BB10 features we were led to believe we would get?
    How could you recommend BlackBerry to anyone knowing how badly they have failed the consumers who kept them going when they were struggling?
    I like that you think you're "sticking it to the man" by your non-recommendation. I use my PlayBook almost daily, since a month after it was released. Just had two app update notifications today, so there goes that theory.

I don't know how you could recommend a tablet that costs 2 to 3 times the price of a PlayBook when the reality is that most people are simply going to do some web browsing and some simple gaming and messaging on it, just like they would on a PB. Of course, that excludes the users in this thread that are obviously doing quantum physics or running Fortune 500 companies on their alternate tablets... Wait, I DO you how you could give that recommendation, cuz it's part of your anti-BB tantrumming
    MasterOfBinary and dazzleaj like this.
    05-24-13 10:44 PM
    I like that you think you're "sticking it to the man" by your non-recommendation. I use my PlayBook almost daily, since a month after it was released. Just had two app update notifications today, so there goes that theory.

I don't know how you could recommend a tablet that costs 2 to 3 times the price of a PlayBook when the reality is that most people are simply going to do some web browsing and some simple gaming and messaging on it, just like they would on a PB. Of course, that excludes the users in this thread that are obviously doing quantum physics or running Fortune 500 companies on their alternate tablets... Wait, I DO you how you could give that recommendation, cuz it's part of your anti-BB tantrumming
    Umm....you seem to have missed the part where I said I discourage people from buying other tablets by Google Apple and Microsoft because I have moral issues with those companies. Does that leave any other major tablet/tablet OS manufacturer?

Maybe read some posts and you will know what you are saying, eh?
    05-25-13 04:45 AM
    Wow, you've got more issues than National Geographic...
    05-25-13 01:49 PM
    Wow, you've got more issues than National Geographic...
    Says the guy telling people to pay for Netflix for a month before canceling to prove a point no one going to listen to anyways.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 01:56 PM
    Says the guy telling people to pay for Netflix for a month before canceling to prove a point no one going to listen to anyways.

Posted via CB10
    Just because I think the NetFlix boycott is a ridiculous folly, that's no reason I can't give advice on doing it right.
    05-25-13 08:29 PM
    This is a brutal troll post. Ban this guy.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 08:30 PM
    Just because I think the NetFlix boycott is a ridiculous folly, that's no reason I can't give advice on doing it right.
    How is giving them revenue for a month doing it right? You think they will notice more if you pay for a month? Nope. Their algorithms probably don't even pick up such small blips...and that's what these 1000 are. A small blip barely perceptable.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 08:59 PM
    How is giving them revenue for a month doing it right? You think they will notice more if you pay for a month? Nope. Their algorithms probably don't even pick up such small blips...and that's what these 1000 are. A small blip barely perceptable.

Posted via CB10
    You're off topic. Please stop post-stalking me. I don't want your free candy...
    05-25-13 09:16 PM
    You're off topic. Please stop post-stalking me. I don't want your free candy...
    Then stop posting crap your gonna get called out on.

Off topic on a troll thread? Ok

Posted via CB10
    05-25-13 09:25 PM
    Hmmm... No mention about Roswell or government conspiracy here yet. I don't see religion yet... Or do I? Perhaps this is a rant from a high priest of the "I am the most important person in the world" cult? Perhaps I am mistaken.
    Just to stay on the topic, I now will go out of my way to push BB on Everybody just because... Might even start contributing to Bill Gates.
    05-25-13 10:28 PM

Posted via CB10
    Called out on? Pfft, puh-lease...That's laughable. I stand by my advice.
    05-25-13 11:59 PM
    Called out on? Pfft, puh-lease...That's laughable. I stand by my advice.
    Ya give them more money and then cancel. That shows them.
    Laughable it turns out us your " advice"

Posted via CB10
    05-26-13 08:37 AM

Posted via CB10
    Hey I'm just a disgruntled current BB user who is trying to have a conversation with his community, why does it automatically make me a troll? I didn't post this for your reactions (like a troll would) 'cause frankly I could give a flying f*** what any of you think about my actions. I just don't have anyone to talk to anymore, really. So I try to have conversations with you folks on this here forum.
    05-26-13 03:59 PM
    Hey I'm just a disgruntled current BB user who is trying to have a conversation with his community, why does it automatically make me a troll? I didn't post this for your reactions (like a troll would) 'cause frankly I could give a flying f*** what any of you think about my actions. I just don't have anyone to talk to anymore, really. So I try to have conversations with you folks on this here forum.
    Not you. Did you see the quote? Who was quoted? Who that quote was meant to? It isn't difficult. It's something a BlackBerry user should grasp.
    So while you are not giving a flying ****. At least try to get something right.

Posted via CB10
    05-27-13 09:58 AM
    This is a brutal troll post. Ban this guy.
    Apart from the poor production by BB themselves, it is an unknown continent that remains to explore, how far some users on Crackberry and other forums contributed to the present situation, both by giving BB the impression that they are supported in face of overwhelming evidence of poor work, and by giving average users the impression that BB is for technically illiterate and aggressive fanboys exclusively.

I still remember with wonder when I was warned I would lose all guarantee if I rebooted my playbook, when I was told there were legal issues for allowing public North American podcasts to be downloaded to Europe, when I was told it is ok if apps for playbook are no longer updated, because they already work.

But the most horrible example is the amount of people who proudly - and apparently sincerely - claimed that apps were not needed because you can do everything through the browser. Such an amount of people asserting so vigorously that websites designed for large desktop screens were ok for small mobile screens, and they are preferable to apps displaying data specifically for small mobile devices, is a matter of bewilderment, and should have attracted the attention of the scientific community as the psycho-sociological phenomenon of the century.

Blackberry fanboys, you are special and precious.
    05-27-13 10:49 AM
84 1234