Idle thoughts in the summer...

But there I was, lamenting the fact the PB won't evolve now. BB saying they'll support it, is different than saying they'll update it.

But then it dawned upon me...

What if it the PB had been an amazing success with OS 1.x, or OS 2.x? And tens millions of people were promised that BB10 was just around the corner, and then two years later were told: "Whoops, sorry, turns out the hardware doesn't perform well with newer versions of QNX."

How bad would that have been? Does that mean that BB knew back in 2010, perhaps even before BB10 was in its loops of delayed deployment, that the PB could never have run newer versions of the QNX core?

What would the fall out be then? Would people expect a 3 year old tablet OS to be upgradable? What would have happened if BB had announced in April 2013 (2 years after PB released), that the hardware was already outdated and couldn't support BB10...

Or, would a solution have been found to get BB10 running on PB, despite hardware limitations?

I wonder.....
    07-03-13 12:44 PM
    If playbook had been a success then they would have released it, and if my grandma had wheels she would be a bicycle...

Posted via CB10
    07-03-13 12:49 PM
    Actually I think that's a good point. If it had been a huge success and there were even 1/2 of the sales of the iPad then it might have been enough to kill a lot of potential phone sales.

But then consider this also, if they released a new PlayBook every year like Apple does with the iPad then the hardwear would have been updated and the current PlayBook wouldn't be in this situation.
    Last edited by axllebeer; 07-03-13 at 04:54 PM. Reason: Spelling
    07-03-13 04:53 PM
    But then consider this also, if they released a new PlayBook every year like Apple does with the iPad then the hardwear would have been updated and the current PlayBook wouldn't be in this situation.
    Apple actually has a history of continuing to release major OS updates for devices after there initial year unlike BBRY. For example the 3+ year old iPhone4 will get iOS7 in the fall, as will the iPad2. Both products are older then the Playbook.
    07-03-13 05:03 PM
    If the PB had've been successful, BB would have definately put in the effort to allow access to BB10 BBW, this would provide far more consumers to the platform & we would have far more developers interested. As it stands, I still believe having 2M+ PB's would still have an influence, shame BB doesn't think so.
    07-03-13 05:09 PM
    Apple actually has a history of continuing to release major OS updates for devices after there initial year unlike BBRY. For example the 3+ year old iPhone4 will get iOS7 in the fall, as will the iPad2. Both products are older then the Playbook.
    However, those are all evolutionary updates on an established OS. QNX is new and in the last 2 years they worked on making it as big and bad as possible and weren't too concerned on holding back some so that it would run great on 2 year old hardware.
    07-03-13 05:13 PM
    Idle thoughts in the summer...

But there I was, lamenting the fact the PB won't evolve now. BB saying they'll support it, is different than saying they'll update it.

But then it dawned upon me...

What if it the PB had been an amazing success with OS 1.x, or OS 2.x? And tens millions of people were promised that BB10 was just around the corner, and then two years later were told: "Whoops, sorry, turns out the hardware doesn't perform well with newer versions of QNX."

How bad would that have been? Does that mean that BB knew back in 2010, perhaps even before BB10 was in its loops of delayed deployment, that the PB could never have run newer versions of the QNX core?

What would the fall out be then? Would people expect a 3 year old tablet OS to be upgradable? What would have happened if BB had announced in April 2013 (2 years after PB released), that the hardware was already outdated and couldn't support BB10...

Or, would a solution have been found to get BB10 running on PB, despite hardware limitations?

I wonder.....
    Base on your if. The stock would not have fallen to $6 and the launch of BB10 phones delay would not have that much negative impact on the company. The success of PB would be enough to sustain the loyal customers a bit longer given the current state of BB10 phone launch debacle (US market to be more specific).
    07-03-13 05:27 PM
    However, those are all evolutionary updates on an established OS. QNX is new and in the last 2 years they worked on making it as big and bad as possible and weren't too concerned on holding back some so that it would run great on 2 year old hardware.
    Qnx is not new. It is running on the playbook. The development of bb10 probably started three years ago.
    As far as hardware goes, it had the top of line specs 2 years ago in anticipation for bb10. Other vendors only caught up last year.

Posted via CB10
    07-03-13 05:35 PM
    then I wondered, under the unicorn tree
    justhow beautiful a playing book might be,
    one
    that anticipates
    what
    might be
    one that sees at least
    ten plus 3
    without the thor
    or heins(ight)
    you see
    but then, oh then, it came in plain
    they just don't care,
    no bb10
    07-03-13 05:47 PM
    Idle thoughts....you can say that again...

07-03-13 06:34 PM
    If PlayBook has been successful... and leaders' vision is the same...

It will have the same fate...

Posted via Z10
    07-03-13 09:36 PM
    The base QNX system in BB10 can run on the PB without any issues. You can even run Qt and Cascades without any issues. It's the crap piled on top like the Hub that really slows things down.
    EchoesFX likes this.
    07-03-13 10:31 PM
    they told us they'll support pb user? yeah sure, even playbook main facebookapp haven't receive any update for a long time
    07-04-13 05:05 AM
    If PlayBook had been a success, it wouldn't need an OS upgrade. I like it very much as it is, the only real problem being the apps - and the only reason to upgrade would be to get access to the larger pool of BB10 apps. So, a successful PlayBook (with lots of apps available) would not have been a PR disaster when denied BB10.

Calorie Monitor Pro for Z10, Q10, Q5 and PlayBook
    07-04-13 05:36 AM
    The question is, how will the ip4 run ios7...
    The ip3 with ios5 was unworkable.. let's say with 6.. ip4 with ios7 will be the same as ip3 with ios6.

People don't want but don't have a choice

Sent from my BlackBerry 10 smartphone using CB10
    07-04-13 05:41 AM