I got the BlackBerry Convertible Case for PlayBook but was slightly disappointed with the quality of the case.

My dad got an iPad with the Capdase casing. The quality was so good compared to the one that I got for Playbook. Its not sturdy enough and the cover is not 100% flat. Its a bit curve which is fine I assume as I can't bend it out after sometime.

I would expect RIM to produce a high quality accessories and casing considering the premium price they charge over those 3rd party

Also, on an iPad, they have a magnetic sensor and it will automatically shut down the screen to save battery but I dont think it will work with Playbook right since its not designed to do it right?

- Charles

Last edited by chaddeus; 03-27-12 at 12:43 AM.
    03-13-12 05:43 AM
    Right....

I agree, RIM should produce quality accessories. Never seen the case myself so can't comment.

Apple's convertible cases for iPad1 were originally about �50 (you'll have to convert currency) if memory serves, so quite a lot more expensive. Whatever one thinks of Apple, they do produce some nice-looking kit!

Send it back and get a different convertible case - I have a nice purple leather one, from Amazon. If you search this forum you will see several threads recommending cases.
    03-13-12 05:54 AM
    The BB Convertible case is a poor example of BB accessory products. I wanted one until I had a hands on test drive at a local BestBuy. It's not leather, it looks cheap, and it really is polar opposite of the real leather offerings by BlackBerry. I prefer the Journal case. As far as all being expensive, Staples continues to sell most BlackBerry cases and other accessories for an average of 50% off. I really don't know anyone who has paid MSRP for a BB OEM accessory.
    Spencerdl likes this.
    03-13-12 06:02 AM
    The thing about Playbook accessories is that its NOT so easy to get compared to iPad.

Overall, its not that I hate the casing and that I want to replace it. Its just below my expectation. Maybe I am expecting too much

- Charles
    03-13-12 06:31 AM
    *shrugs* Nobody said it WAS so easy to get, but iPad is on model 3, so hardly comparable....

There are quite a few alternatives about if you look on Amazon, though. I didn't like the look of the RIM one, it isn't leather, so I got something different....and cheaper.

Two people took the trouble to reply to you with helpful suggestions, which you have now dismissed. I am not sure why you posted.
    03-13-12 06:42 AM
    I haven't had any problems with my convertible case. I use it all the time and love it.
    03-13-12 06:50 AM
    My convertible was a mistake purchase for me. I can't even get the thing to close all the way, the front cover floats right above the screen. I have to lay something on top of it just so it closes.

Overall, I use my journal case 10 times more, which means I have to prop it up against something if I want to watch a video.
    03-13-12 06:51 AM
    *shrugs* Nobody said it WAS so easy to get, but iPad is on model 3, so hardly comparable....

There are quite a few alternatives about if you look on Amazon, though. I didn't like the look of the RIM one, it isn't leather, so I got something different....and cheaper.

Two people took the trouble to reply to you with helpful suggestions, which you have now dismissed. I am not sure why you posted.
    haha.. Hey, dont get the wrong idea and assume the wrong stuff. I didn't dismiss them or at least I dont intent to.

I am in Indonesia so I dont have access to a lot of things out there... Plus I am just saying its really harder to get things for Playbook than iPad.

- Charles
    03-13-12 07:04 AM
    Love my convertible case as it sits perfect and closes good and flat for me. Not only does it protect and look nice but I find I turn the opening side backwards and use it to prop it up in a standing position even when charging in addition to the normal way it stands. Wonder if I'd like the journal case better? In any event I got mine off of Amazon at a price under 20 bucks.
    03-13-12 07:05 AM
    I have the Convertible Case and I like it. It's not the best but the rubber cover protects the back and the edges around the playbook. I got it for free with the purchase of the playbook. I looked at other cases and couldn't see any that would have the same all around protection as the Convertible one except the Otterbox but that's extra weight and thickness. If anyone has or knows of a case that's leather and has all around protection please post the the pics or the link. Thanks!
    03-13-12 07:48 AM
    I also like my convertible case very much. I have to wonder if the op has the real thing. There are fakes and mistakes out there. For example;

BlackBerry� Leather Convertible Case for the BlackBerry PlayBook
    That is not the real case.

This video shows the actual one;

That's the one that I have. And yes the cover is not perfectly steel-plate straight at all times but it is make out of leather. I just bend it flat again!
    03-13-12 08:04 AM
    I also like my convertible case very much. I have to wonder if the op has the real thing. There are fakes and mistakes out there. For example;

BlackBerry� Leather Convertible Case for the BlackBerry PlayBook
    That is not the real case.

This video shows the actual one;

That's the one that I have. And yes the cover is not perfectly steel-plate straight at all times but it is make out of leather. I just bend it flat again!
    I think I got the real one, pretty sure since its from the official RIM store.

However, I am not saying this casing sucks so bad. Its just below my expectation. I was especting something more

- Charles
    03-13-12 09:01 AM
    Are you kidding? The capdase looks limpsy and cheap and although the convertible case is a little cheap at least it looks good professional and we'll made
    03-13-12 09:37 AM
    My convertible was a mistake purchase for me. I can't even get the thing to close all the way, the front cover floats right above the screen. I have to lay something on top of it just so it closes.

Overall, I use my journal case 10 times more, which means I have to prop it up against something if I want to watch a video.
    I have the journal case too, wonderful accessory. You don't have to take it out of the case when watching video, just buy a stand and you can keep it in the case. I have a flipblade for the iPad. Works great.
    03-13-12 09:39 AM
    I'm not sure if the OP has the OEM case, but I have one, so does my dad and gf, and so do 4-5 people in my office. NONE of them have issues with the cases. In fact, most of them got the case after seeing it on my PB.

To be clear, these are the ones that come in the blue BB packaging, similar to the 64 GB Playbook boxes.
    03-13-12 09:51 AM
    I use Viva convertible case and it's quite good
    I got it for 45$
    Google it for pic
    03-13-12 10:19 AM
    I'm not sure if the OP has the OEM case, but I have one, so does my dad and gf, and so do 4-5 people in my office. NONE of them have issues with the cases. In fact, most of them got the case after seeing it on my PB.

To be clear, these are the ones that come in the blue BB packaging, similar to the 64 GB Playbook boxes.
    Agreed. This case is great and my uncle and cousin who both have iPad2s have said that they like this case better then any of the Apple offerings because it looks much more professional and doesnt add too much bulk.

To the OP... if you dont like the case you can buy another folding case, but if you are interested in a softshell case there is one included in the Convertible Case... try detaching the leather from the shell and that is the exact same thing as the OEM softshell which is retailing from $20 to $40
    03-13-12 10:20 AM
    Guys. Check if this is real for me please. Otherwise, I am really going to the retail store and complain

Last edited by chaddeus; 03-13-12 at 10:48 AM.
    03-13-12 10:42 AM
    Maybe yours is different than mine but I found the case to be just fine and I have 2. It's like like I paid 60 bucks a pop for them.
    03-13-12 10:45 AM
    well im not sure with all the languages... mine has one (from what i remember)
    also, we would need to see the actual case

but this does look like the right box/colour...
    03-13-12 10:45 AM
    It could be that different countries get accessories from different suppliers. It happens with cars that are assembled in different factories. Some Japanese auto manufacturers have assembly plants in Hungary, and those cars are noticeably different in interior details and choice of alloy wheels then their Japanese twin.
    03-13-12 10:49 AM
    I have both the Journal and Convertible cases. My issue with the Convertible case is that it is bound with the cheapest plastic leather known to human kind. Like the kind of plastic that diners use to to "bind" their menus. Attracts grease spots just as easily, too.

I mentioned elsewhere that it would have been ideal if RIM had just taken the Journal case and given it a "convertible" quality by adding a couple of bumps on the inner flap and slightly detaching the hard rubber inner case.
    03-13-12 10:54 AM
    Also, this is what I am talking about. The cover isn't straight as its a bit curve.

Also, take a look at this picture.

Not straight...

- Charles
    03-13-12 10:55 AM
    I got the BlackBerry Convertible Case for PlayBook but was slightly disappointed with the quality of the case.

My dad got an iPad with the Capdase casing. The quality was so good compared to the one that I got for Playbook. Its not sturdy enough and the cover is not 100% flat. Its a bit curve which is fine I assume as I can't bend it out after sometime.
    Was that Capdase case from Apple?

Have you ever gotten *any* good cases from Apple?

There are plenty of really good cases for all Blackberry products out there... just do a search and you will find...
    03-13-12 11:46 AM
    I purchased the RIM Blackberry Convertible Case from BestBuy when the Playbook first came out. I've since traded it in for Brookstones case. I didn't like the RIM case because I couldn't charge the Playbook with it closed; what the he11 was RIM thinking. I also got tired of the internal part of the case transferring finger prints just by closing the case and lastly, the device stopped being able to stand up due to the flexibility.
    03-13-12 11:50 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD