01-15-12 04:12 PM
157 ... 23456 ...
tools
    Hello everyone, my name is Kimberly and i am a 64 gb (gasp) nobody.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-12-12 05:58 PM
    Hello everyone, my name is Kimberly and i am a 64 gb (gasp) nobody.
    Nice to meet you Kimberly, I'm Ed and I too am a 64gb nobody.
    Spinalguy likes this.
    01-12-12 06:04 PM
    nobody seems to be making alot of sense on this thread
    eds817 likes this.
    01-12-12 06:09 PM
    i am a 2 time nobody-have a 32 and a 64-about to be a 3 time nobody when my newly ordered next 64 arrives!

Willard814 likes this.
    01-12-12 06:11 PM
    RIM still dead. These features should have been there from the beginning. This is truly sad. Nobody is buying playbooks, they should concentrate on phones.

Oh by the way. I have PB. But I doubt they can do anything for me to start using it. For one AC3 audio. Without it, I cannot use it.
    May be there is hope for a native video player that I can purchase?
    Well, at least people here are (generally) staying calm, taking it with a bit of humor, and not jumping up and down

As for the substance of OP's comments, RIM does concentrate on phones--makes a lot of money doing that--and whether RIM lives or dies probably does not depend on the success of the Playbook. Yes, of course, the new OS2 features and mail app should have been on the Playbook from the beginning to increase chances of its adoption; but, we should be pleased to be getting these things now, as it makes our Playbooks more useful. AC3 seems to be a Dolby standard, allowing up to six channels, see below. There are converters out there, so lack of AC3 should not be a problem. It would be nice to have other options, but I've generally found the Playbook's stock video player sufficiently capable. I've been ripping DVD's into MP4's with Handbrake, with good results. The Playbook's strengths remain what they've always been--good hardware in a small package that can slip into a coat pocket.

What is AC3 audio? Dolby Digital, or AC3 audio, is the common version containing up to six discrete channels of sound. The most elaborate mode in common usage involves five channels for normal-range speakers (20 Hz ?20,000 Hz) (right front, center, left front, right rear and left rear) and one channel (20 Hz ?120 Hz allotted audio) for the subwoofer driven low-frequency effects. Mono and stereo modes are also supported. .AC3 audio supports audio sample-rates up to 48 kHz. Batman Returns was the first film to use Dolby Digital technology when it premiered in theaters in Summer 1992. The Laserdisc version of Clear and Present Danger featured the first Home theater Dolby Digital mix in 1995.

.AC3 audio is Audio Coding 3. The AC3 audio standard is being replaced with AAC, although AC3 audio will continue to live on for many decades due to the number of systems and networks which currently utilize it.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-12-12 06:27 PM
    ROTFLMAO!! Another proud nobody just read thru all 6 pages of this thread & laughed her a** off. Looking forward to OS2 - going to play Cut the Rope now.
    hpjrt and Willard814 like this.
    01-12-12 06:36 PM
    Bbs and playbooks are gadgets that one's use for work. Not only for playing games, watching movies, etc..you got it wrong if u buy RIM's devices only for entertaintment matters.
    RIM's devices are intended for one use it in their work whilst in the same time if u need some entertainment u can use it. Not the other way arround. If ur lookiing for a device that u want to use for watching movies, listening to musics, playing games then buy urself an ipad or galaxy tab..
    My blackberry helps me always connected to my important emails and messages, while my playbook helps me in meetings, presentation..I can use the HDMI to do a presentation with a good quality picture on the screen.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 using Tapatalk
    I think that isn't fully true, I don't use a playbook for work at all, and I have no problem getting value out of the tablet Looking forward to 2.0 though!
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-12-12 06:48 PM
    I love this thread; thanks to nobody
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-12-12 06:53 PM
    The OP of this thread sounds like a Baby. Go buy and iProduct and be happy.

Just my 2 cents
    01-12-12 06:56 PM
    after watching all the youtube clips, I can say I am very impressed with RIM eh
    hpjrt and Willard814 like this.
    01-12-12 07:25 PM
    People expected PB to have good native video playback feature, and at least compatible with collection of movies from DVDs, etc. Well, my collection plays video, but not audio, for the same reasons. Worse yet, there's not a single good solution in transcoding and streaming - subsonic comes close but not quite there. On the other hand, on IPad you get a polished app at good price - AirVideo for $1.99. On PB, after $20+ it still isn't here yet.. What's the point of .AVI, .WMV, .MKV support along with all kinds of video codecs if it cannot support very common AC3 audio? go figure. I sure hope this gets fixed soon.
    Transcoding = Handbrake or Freemake (even has a PlayBook setting), both free
    Transcoding and Streaming = TVersity (free download on PC) and Connect to TVersity ($1.99 in App World).
    01-12-12 07:31 PM
    I'm a 5 time loser....or was that 6? I don't know, but I keep buying RIMM stock like it's Manna from Heaven, and just can't stop buying Playbooks. Help me please God, I'm possesed.......................................... .
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-12-12 07:35 PM
    While I am not an avid Blackberry aficionado, I must say the PB is one of BBs devices I am happy wiith. Having worked for 7 years in the wireless industry, Ive come across nearly every BB device since 2005 and have for the most part disliked them all.

When choosing a tablet, I did my research. The iPad is nice and all, but the size drew me away. I wanted something a bit more compact. I found the Kindle Fire to get many praise, but upon owning one, found it to be sluggish after a while. When the playbook hit 199$ at my job, I figured why not. Yes, I agree, the market lacks. But I use it more for browsing and YouTube.

Now with my folio case with the built in BT keyboard, I am even happier. I have my iPhone 4S and my Galaxy SII for Skype and the likes. As for Netflix and games? I have a console for that.

It serves its purpose for me.
    01-12-12 07:45 PM
    yup same here just bought more of those RIM worthless stocks. hehehehe
    01-12-12 07:55 PM
    I'm a 5 time loser....or was that 6? I don't know, but I keep buying RIMM stock like it's Manna from Heaven, and just can't stop buying Playbooks. Help me please God, I'm possesed.......................................... .
    I will have to take all your PlayBooks from you. That's the official cure.
    kbz1960, alnamvet68 and Willard814 like this.
    01-12-12 07:59 PM
    Honestly, don't get why PB gets so much hate. We have 2 PB and 4 BB in our house, so no one is buying? (still not sure why i bother responding)
    2 PBs and 3BBs in my house
    01-12-12 08:33 PM
    i just think that some will never be happy with rim whatever rim does. they get hardware dirty cheap, get os update for free but still this is not good enough....i guess it is better to buy overpriced iphone 4 with voice recognition software still in beta. this is ok to some
    Just pointing out some misconceptions.... the "free os update" is nothing more than PARTIALLY the in writing advertisement promises RIM made at PB launch. The exact wording was that PB would run our favorite Android and Blackberry apps.

As for dirty cheap.... my original PB 32 cost me nearly three times what my just purchased PB 64 did. Why two? Cause I dont think we will ever see Skype and we travel separately often.

And why not release a buggy beta and label it as such. Some will adopt it, some wont.? I like choices.
    01-12-12 08:39 PM
    OP got pawned, tbh.
    01-12-12 08:53 PM
    And why not release a buggy beta and label it as such. Some will adopt it, some wont.? I like choices.
    The beta is out for those wanting to adopt it. (Yes, it doesn't include everything, but it's what you asked for.)

Even when betas are tagged as such, people still want support and complain or make conclusions about the software. You can see it here on these forums.
    01-12-12 08:59 PM
    Guys!!! the op is right. Nobody is buying them
    The stores are telling us they sold out, but they are really hiding
    all of them in the back room just for the of it
    01-12-12 09:33 PM
    Its called mediacoder. It TRANSCODES STUFF

Used it a lot more when I had an ipt4g...
    01-12-12 09:50 PM
    Guys!!! the op is right. Nobody is buying them
    The stores are telling us they sold out, but they are really hiding
    all of them in the back room just for the of it
    Best Buy is stockpiling them for when they figure out how to properly display them.... Its taking them a while with dead playbooks on OS 1.01

LOL now that was a bad OS version... it wasn't nearly as pleasant to use as the playbook is now. I'm rocking 1.0.8.4985 and I won't upgrade til OS 2.0 :P. It works fine.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-12-12 09:55 PM
    haha Thanks everybody for such a humourous thread. I needed a good laugh today....oh, the OP was seriuos...oops.

There's nobody here but us two PB owners..
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-12-12 09:57 PM
    Oh yeah, sweet. Hah! You're too easy. I want Angry Flashlights Skyping on Netflix...and I'm not shutting up until I get it.

Ha Ha Ha ha! That's some funny stuff right there. I wish I had thought to steal it for a sig before omniusovermind did.
    01-12-12 10:06 PM
    Though there are things about my Playbook I don't like and find lacking, I can't say that media is one of them. I download many divx/xvid videos and the Playbook has played them back all flawlessly (with no errors) and most important... natively. I recently sent some videos to a friend to play on her iPad and came to find out that the two apps I used for my iPad to play these videos, 1) no longer is in the App Store and 2) the other is no longer free. So I had to look for another app for her to use. I'm quite happy that I never had to do that for my Playbook since it plays those videos right out of the box. My sister has a Touchpad and her situation is even worse when it comes to playing these videos.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-13-12 01:08 AM
157 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD