For my personal "why RIM and PB have failed" trendy pet peeve I've chosen to give up hope on them because they don't have any good flashlight apps. This is a total dealbreaker for me .
    That is a good one! I would say the best one so far.
    01-13-12 02:03 AM
    I just can't believe nobody has chimed in yet.

Well, this 64gb nobody is fed up...after I update to OS 2.0 and my PB can't wash my truck and cut my grass I'M DONE!!!
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-13-12 03:45 AM
    Why? Because

1. Massive 300$ price drop. Now it is worth nothing.
    2. I have Galaxy Tab 10.1. Even with not as great hardware, it has almost every app. So I constantly compare it to PB.
    3. I use tablets to mostly watch movies and browse internet. The PB does Web well, it does horrible with movies. 80% of my movies don't play or don't have audio.
    3b. This is connected to 3. No network browsing app???? I want to browse my network damn it to get files. Android has network browsing app + has an app to host files.
    3c. Browser doesn't remember some cookied/form pages. No auto fill form feature?

This is not 2008 anymore, Welcome to 2012 RIM.
    3(b+c)- If you are on OS2, download the bar file for m_movieplayer. It will play everything, including .mkv. There are at least 2 file managers that have been converted that allow you to do this, as well as there being another on that gives you full access to your phone's file system.
    2 - OS will have a lot of android apps (including some that have already made their way to the AppWorld - ie. eBuddy)
    1 - Value is something intrinsic to each person and price fluctuations have no affect on that. No one buys technology to make money as devaluation on it is even higher then cars.
    01-13-12 04:29 AM
    By the way I have overheard that on Conan O'Brian late night show couple days ago " Conan overheard that Apple is teaching Iphone 4s Chinese. First things that Siri had learned in Chinese was .... Get back to work and Make more of me ! ..... priceless
    i just think that some will never be happy with rim whatever rim does. they get hardware dirty cheap, get os update for free but still this is not good enough....i guess it is better to buy overpriced iphone 4 with voice recognition software still in beta. this is ok to some

You're kidding me, right? Is the iPad a failure because one needs a third party video player to play files with a Dolby Digital audio track?
    Why is it that Apple gets dragged into every argument that a BB user makes for disliking the playbook? Can't you argue the benefits of the device without bringing up the iPad or Apple?

I only ask because the second someone reading this jumps in to discredit or simply disagree with the statement about Apple, then all h3ll breaks loose!

Playbook has enough pros that you should be able to leave Apple completely out of it. Remember: This is a BB forum ijs
    Last edited by pri79269; 01-13-12 at 07:37 AM.
    howarmat likes this.
    01-13-12 07:32 AM
    Nice to meet you Kimberly, I'm Ed and I too am a 64gb nobody.
    I'm only a poor little 16GB nobody so I'm the top nobody.
    01-13-12 09:31 AM
    I love you guys, good way to support acting out on troll posts without breaking forum rules, this thread has really shown us how the PB community can come together deal with this, thank you all so much
    01-13-12 09:36 AM
    I hear you mang. AC3? Hah! I wish that was my only problem with the Playbook!! For my personal "why RIM and PB have failed" trendy pet peeve I've chosen to give up hope on them because they don't have any good flashlight apps. This is a total dealbreaker for me because I have a rare form of eyesight that requires about 10 million candelas (that's the measurement unit for brightness) to get around anywhere that doesn't have direct daylight. Way to totally ruin a product RIM!! I can't see the Playbook going anywhere but bankrupt with massive critically important must-have features like this missing. I was totally hoping to see this fixed at CES. epic fail. RIM sucks.
    oh so sweet....LOL
    01-13-12 09:43 AM
    RIM still dead. These features should have been there from the beginning. This is truly sad. Nobody is buying playbooks, they should concentrate on phones.
    You should see my PB video chat contact list. In my immediate circle (work, friends, church) I now know more PB owners than iPad owners with a few owning both (15:10), 3 TouchPad owners (incl myself), and the 1 with original GalTab 7. The PB has gained some traction here, at least in my small circle.
    spike12 likes this.
    01-13-12 10:41 AM
    RIM still dead. These features should have been there from the beginning. This is truly sad. Nobody is buying playbooks, they should concentrate on phones.

Oh by the way. I have PB. But I doubt they can do anything for me to start using it. For one AC3 audio. Without it, I cannot use it.
    May be there is hope for a native video player that I can purchase?
    If you don't want your playbook let me have it....Mine works great no since in letting it go to waste...Shame though that your only argument is AC3 audio...But i'll still take the playbook...I'll pay the shipping...COD of course...You can send it via Fed EX and i'll pay the COD...Let me know if this appeals to you, Just trying to help you get rid of the device you hate...that's all let me know..
    01-13-12 11:05 AM
    This is truly sad. Nobody is buying playbooks, they should concentrate on phones.
    You're missing the point. Watch this:

Hands On with the QNX Concept Porsche at CES 2012 - YouTube

You'll see where RIM is headed with this. It's not about phones. Not about PlayBooks. Not about a device, but rather building out a platform. That said, yes, RIM makes most of it's money on phones. But with QNX they are trying to move beyond that. There's a reason they bought QNX and did not simply use Android, or roll their own Linux based mobile OS, or one of many other options.
    Last edited by southlander; 01-13-12 at 03:21 PM.
    peter9477 likes this.
    01-13-12 03:17 PM
    You're missing the point. Watch this:

Hands On with the QNX Concept Porsche at CES 2012 - YouTube

You'll see where RIM is headed with this. It's not about phones. Not about PlayBooks. Not about a device, but rather building out a platform. That said, yes, RIM makes most of it's money on phones. But with QNX they are trying to move beyond that. There's a reason they bought QNX and did not simply use Android, or roll their own Linux based mobile OS, or one of many other options.
    Playbook in the Porsche is a nice touch but this is not exactly about what RIM is trying to do, it's more about QNX who's been doing this sort of thing for several decades.
    01-13-12 03:28 PM
    wish my friends would get a pb so i can videochat with them, but nobody is buying them.
    01-13-12 03:51 PM
    Playbook in the Porsche is a nice touch but this is not exactly about what RIM is trying to do, it's more about QNX who's been doing this sort of thing for several decades.
    I'd call it a nice marriage... QNX was doing that for a long time, but progress was slow. RIM couldn't have done it with BB OS.

Together, with QNX earlier efforts on the car side, and RIM's earlier efforts on the mobile side, and all that's happened since RIM bought QNX with the new platform, that's what it's all about. Likely neither could have succeeded in this area in any time frame that mattered, alone.
    01-13-12 04:01 PM
    will i get a porsche when they release os 3 ..... thats awsome.... i love rim
    01-13-12 04:19 PM
    Yes but the timing was not right. Now it is. The smartphone as a controller is what really makes all this stuff appealing.

Also remember that concept video of security systems using NFC where you touch the phone to a pad and open a door. Again QNX is the enabler. That type of thing I can see in secure facilities (government, etc.). The key is for RIM to provide the correct dev tools and licensing to make it easy to build out. For the tools part I am assuming that is one of the big reasons they bought TAT. Right?
    Last edited by southlander; 01-13-12 at 04:44 PM.
    01-13-12 04:40 PM
    so youre not happy with OS2 and all of the great things we have to come?
    What, like native email? oooh... email...
    01-13-12 04:40 PM
    Count me in as a nobody x2. Couldn't resist wanting a 64g at less than I paid for the 16g. Plus the wife loves the 16g.
    01-13-12 04:48 PM
    I'm another nobody as well as the rest of my family that got PB's for x-mas. Currently own a 16gb and waiting on my 32 and 64 models. Wife is getting the 32, my niece is getting my 16, and of course I'm keeping the 64 for myself. That makes a total of 9 PB's in my family. Guess were all nobody's?
    01-13-12 04:54 PM
    Yes but the timing was not right. Now it is. The smartphone as a controller is what really makes all this stuff appealing.

Also remember that concept video of security systems using NFC where you touch the phone to a pad and open a door. Again QNX is the enabler. That type of thing I can see in secure facilities (government, etc.). The key is for RIM to provide the correct dev tools and licensing to make it easy to build out. For the tools part I am assuming that is one of the big reasons they bought TAT. Right?
    The thing about QNX is reliability before the consumer appeal and its use in gadgets. What's shown is concept with little practicality at this point, other than smartphone integration into Vehicle's infotainment system. For that, it needs to support wide variety of smartphones to appeal to potential customers, which means based on today's market share Android and iOS smartphones.

I don't think ideas of NFC will extend to secure facilities this way. It does not provide any benefit other than integration.

However, this is a good showcase for QNX regardless, showing both sides of it in one product.
    01-13-12 04:57 PM
    Do any of the mobile os support AC3 natively? I'm confused, I never found a perfect solution for my iphone 3gs before, the few apps I found that would play it were unreliable. I thought this was problematic for most mobile devices. I have lived by the mantra, if you want reliable playback on mobile device use AAC.

Anyway, I was excited about what I saw at CES, I think it was a good start to what I'm hoping to be a good year for RIM. I'm wondering if they have held back any nuggets for the upcoming DevCon in Europe too. Either way I'm looking forward to it.
    01-13-12 05:03 PM
    Whole lotta' nobody's here....I love being a nobody!
    01-13-12 05:05 PM
    can i just have my home screen without any icons if i pull the arrow down fully.
    i have a torch 9850 and love when the home screen is clean just a small lock icon on rt bottom?
    Haven't got a PB yet...but since it is on a great price 299$ and OS2 on its way think it should be a good deal.
    any input good/bad are very valuable.
    Thanks
    01-13-12 05:28 PM
    can i just have my home screen without any icons if i pull the arrow down fully.
    i have a torch 9850 and love when the home screen is clean just a small lock icon on rt bottom?
    Haven't got a PB yet...but since it is on a great price 299$ and OS2 on its way think it should be a good deal.
    Thanks
    Don't believe you can rid the icons. Be sure you read all the pros and cons of the Playbook, here, and on the very few un-biased blogs on the interwebz. There are several forums for the Playbook where you can get a big picture view of whether or not the PB is for you.
    sidds18 likes this.
    01-13-12 05:39 PM
    Thanks
    Yes you can. You can make folders and put them on the quick launch bar or whatever they call it. You can move all of the icons into folders. It works really well. Love the organization on OS2 much better.
    sidds18 and Flexin like this.
    01-13-12 05:45 PM
    You can move all the icons off but there is a little shadow where the dock is. On OS 2.0
    sidds18 likes this.
    01-13-12 05:45 PM
157 ... 34567
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD