You're kidding me, right? Is the iPad a failure because one needs a third party video player to play files with a Dolby Digital audio track?
    People expected PB to have good native video playback feature, and at least compatible with collection of movies from DVDs, etc. Well, my collection plays video, but not audio, for the same reasons. Worse yet, there's not a single good solution in transcoding and streaming - subsonic comes close but not quite there. On the other hand, on IPad you get a polished app at good price - AirVideo for $1.99. On PB, after $20+ it still isn't here yet.. What's the point of .AVI, .WMV, .MKV support along with all kinds of video codecs if it cannot support very common AC3 audio? go figure. I sure hope this gets fixed soon.
    01-12-12 11:16 AM
    lol, what a topic, playbooks are selling really well right now with current promotions, and who cares if the features didn't ship with the device, they are still coming really soon!
    Willard814 and Michelle Haag like this.
    01-12-12 11:20 AM
    OS2 looks great to me. Very exciting for PB owners. Yet more features that are unique to the playbook.

Sent from my iPhone4s using Tapatalk
    Willard814 and jamesbondOO7 like this.
    01-12-12 11:23 AM
    Okay, while I agree most of these features should have already been available, I am still looking forward to OS 2. Late or not, it will still make the best tablet on the market even better. Yea im frustrated. You still see smileys break url links on the playbook bbm chat... you still dont have auto text... but I still love the playbook and will enjoy 2.0.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-12-12 11:28 AM
    I guess some people will never be happy.

Oh, by the way I'm typing this on my PlayBook while connected to my 9900 via hotspot while at lunch.

Thank you RIM, I'm looking forward to OS2.
    Willard814 and pjmacklin like this.
    01-12-12 11:28 AM
    Yep I'm getting ready to become a nobody again and buy another 64 gb PB. I hope this message isn't deleted by the big censor in the sky like my last one was. Whats up with that?

Is wh___house a bad word?
    Willard814 and Serkle K like this.
    01-12-12 11:38 AM
    RIM still dead. These features should have been there from the beginning. This is truly sad.
    Sounds like you'll never be happy unless RIM can somehow create a way to turn back time.
    01-12-12 11:43 AM
    ...... For one AC3 audio. Without it, I cannot use it.
    May be there is hope for a native video player that I can purchase?
    Windows don't support AC3 or DTS either - but need special software/codecs to do so ...
    and as far as I know - no other Tablets supports AC3 or DTS without 3rd party software. Hopefully IF there is a great enough demand for it - someone will figure out how to deal with it on the PB as well...

Another solution would be if Plex had a client for the Playbook.... could solve all the video/audio problems
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-12-12 11:54 AM
    I'm actually very happy with my current playbook and with the new features shown at CES for 2.0 it appears RIM has done an excellent job. We all know by now that RIM is playing catchup but at least 2.0 will set things right again for Playbook owners. I hope they hit the February timeline and it would be nice to get BBM sometime soon after. I also think that if you're not happy with your Playbook you won't have much trouble selling it.
    01-12-12 12:02 PM
    RIM still dead. These features should have been there from the beginning. This is truly sad. Nobody is buying playbooks, they should concentrate on phones.

Oh by the way. I have PB. But I doubt they can do anything for me to start using it. For one AC3 audio. Without it, I cannot use it.
    May be there is hope for a native video player that I can purchase?
    Uh oh somebody's got a frowny face...
    pjmacklin and oldtimeBBaddict like this.
    01-12-12 12:19 PM
    slingxshot you happy now you got some attention? Go sell your PB and get on with your life.
    01-12-12 12:36 PM
    My PlayBook, I couldn't ask for anything else. It does what I need it to do, and it does it well if RIM can improve things, sweet, thank you,but overall I am happy.

Those who want more, many of them simply live off of wants and luxuries.

Some applications are an exception such as Skype and Kindle due their usages.

But think of it this way, a tablet is a secondary device, a Mac and/or PC are primary devices. Tablets will not be replacing full-function Macs or PCs anytime soon.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-12-12 12:38 PM
    People expected PB to have good native video playback feature, and at least compatible with collection of movies from DVDs, etc. Well, my collection plays video, but not audio, for the same reasons. Worse yet, there's not a single good solution in transcoding and streaming - subsonic comes close but not quite there. On the other hand, on IPad you get a polished app at good price - AirVideo for $1.99. On PB, after $20+ it still isn't here yet.. What's the point of .AVI, .WMV, .MKV support along with all kinds of video codecs if it cannot support very common AC3 audio? go figure. I sure hope this gets fixed soon.
    I'm not fully up to speed on all the codecs and so forth, but all I can say is I've had perfect success converting and playing dvds on my playbook and the sound is second to none. On the other hand there's an ipad in my family and there are multiple dvd conversions I cannot sync on the ipad, not to mention there only appears to be one crappy speaker and on the back no less. why don't you look for a converter that can make a version compatable with playbook, you seem to go to the trouble of finding an app that meets your needs on the ipad. you're on shaky ground in my opinion trying to argue video/audio quality the playbook kills ipad easily.
    01-12-12 12:40 PM
    slingxshot you happy now you got some attention? Go sell your PB and get on with your life.
    He can not. There is nothing RIM can do now to satisfy him, because they can not turn back time. However, he is also unable, or unwilling, to cut his losses and move on. Terrible position to be in. Must be miserable. I hope he can find a path to happiness somewhere, somehow.
    Willard814, calles and shame23 like this.
    01-12-12 12:52 PM
    Posters like the OP are dead (or at least wish they found another hobby) they come on here and complain all the time and never move on. They are nobody.
    01-12-12 12:59 PM
    OMG Never has so much whining (from op) brought so much mirth and enjoyment. Why ignore haters when you can MOCK them ..
    Last edited by Lhendr; 01-12-12 at 01:17 PM.
    Willard814, shame23 and rjedge54 like this.
    01-12-12 01:00 PM
    I'm getting a playbook soon. According to the OP, I'm gonna be a future nobody :-(
    01-12-12 01:03 PM
    I'm getting a playbook soon. According to the OP, I'm gonna be a future nobody :-(
    We look forward to welcoming you to the club. I was gonna have a welcome party, but I heard nobody is gonna come.
    Last edited by spike12; 01-12-12 at 03:50 PM.
    01-12-12 01:15 PM
    I'm not fully up to speed on all the codecs and so forth, but all I can say is I've had perfect success converting and playing dvds on my playbook and the sound is second to none. On the other hand there's an ipad in my family and there are multiple dvd conversions I cannot sync on the ipad, not to mention there only appears to be one crappy speaker and on the back no less. why don't you look for a converter that can make a version compatable with playbook, you seem to go to the trouble of finding an app that meets your needs on the ipad. you're on shaky ground in my opinion trying to argue video/audio quality the playbook kills ipad easily.
    I made conversions already to play them on PB. If you have IPad try AirVideo. We need something like that for PB as well, the conversion is slow, transfer is slow, and there's limited space on the device.

The bottom line is, whatever you have you want to use them with minimal work, or no work at all. All the great video support on PB is wasted and no better than iPad since you still have to convert them anyway.
    01-12-12 01:20 PM
    We look forwared to welcoming you to the club. I was gonna have a welcome party, but I heard nobody is gonna come.
    Nobody is on their way. See you soon ;-)
    spike12 likes this.
    01-12-12 01:27 PM
    Like they say...

Nobody's perfect
    spike12 and Lhendr like this.
    01-12-12 01:53 PM
    Posters like the OP are dead (or at least wish they found another hobby) they come on here and complain all the time and never move on. They are nobody.
    And yet they still get five pages of retorts! Must be the living dead.
    01-12-12 05:48 PM
    The OP hasn't expiated his sins yet; might take another 500+ pages and a couple of thousand more posts before that's complete.
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-12-12 05:52 PM
    The OP hasn't expiated his sins yet; might take another 500+ pages and a couple of thousand more posts before that's complete.
    Too bad nobody has posted yet.
    01-12-12 05:53 PM
    I am not. Native messaging that looks great, BlackBerry Remote, Android support. And everything is on schedule (new for RIM eh?). I think it's a good showing for RIM.
    kbz1960 and Willard814 like this.
    01-12-12 05:58 PM
157 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD