Hi CrackBerry,

I'm looking for your help! I last really bothered with digital music around 10 years ago. Since then I have had no requirement for the likes of an iPod or other such device as I drive to work and CD's / Radio worked for me.

Now that my better half has got a PlayBook too she wants to put music on it. Sounds simple enough for music i have converted from CD for her but what about buying new digital tracks online?

Is DRM still being used? or can you just buy music from iTunes, Amazon etc and just load it on to her PlayBook and BB Torch?

Thanks.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
    07-07-12 03:25 AM
    Not sure which country you're in - but you may be able to us the 7Digital Music Store. 7digital United Kingdom | High quality DRM-free MP3 music downloads
    07-07-12 05:39 AM
    We are in the UK, so the 7Digital store is already on the PlayBook isnt it?

07-07-12 05:56 AM
    I use 7digital. Works fine. I love being able to buy music on my desktop,PB or phone andthen having it available on any of the devices.
    07-07-12 06:02 AM
    For your own music CD's do you prefer iTunes, Windows media or some other software to manage and sync your collection?

07-07-12 06:15 AM
    Walmart...........
    07-07-12 07:40 AM
    I am very happy with Windows Media Player and 7digital. Easy to purchase and organize my tracks. I can sync playlists to my Torch and PB through my computer or just download directly from the cloud. What is really nice is that the playlist can be imported into iTunes and then loaded onto my old iPods which I still use infrequently.

You should know that since signing up for BBM music my mp3 tracks have been gathering dust. I am always using BBM music to listen to new tracks.
    07-07-12 09:15 AM
    Agree with Just Me.

I have purchased a few albums from the blackberry music store on my 9900 and PB (7digital) and it is nice to be able to access them on both or anywhere on a computer.

BBM Music is always my go-to. If I am going on a trip (like today!) I just store the songs and albums and playlists I want on my SD from BBMM and I am good to go.

Sometimes I just use BBMMusic to test out a few songs from an album I want to hear, then if I like it I purchase it on my BB and clear the space on my BBM Music list for other songs.
    07-07-12 09:20 AM
    thanks for the input. has anyone used MediaMonkey? like the idea of rip once in a bigger file lossless format then sync to devices in smaller MP3 files etc on the fly conversion.

07-07-12 11:06 AM
    I get my music from Download mp3 music! very reasonably priced.
    bungaboy likes this.
    07-07-12 12:48 PM
    I get my music from Download mp3 music! very reasonably priced.
    Wow, I'd say cheap. Thanks for the link!

Why people think they need to use a dedicated app store I don't know.
    07-07-12 12:55 PM
    There are more than one apps in appworld that allow you to download music for free.
    07-07-12 01:31 PM
    Wow, I'd say cheap. Thanks for the link!

Why people think they need to use a dedicated app store I don't know.
    Be careful, the prices at that site seem too good to be legit.
    Website is run out of Russia, requires advance deposit of money with your credit card info, doesn't take paypal.
    Wikipedia description says it was closed down in June, though it appears to be working now.
    07-07-12 02:13 PM
    Be careful, the prices at that site seem too good to be legit.
    Website is run out of Russia, requires advance deposit of money with your credit card info, doesn't take paypal.
    Wikipedia description says it was closed down in June, though it appears to be working now.
    Thanks for the heads up. I didn't do anything but browse around the site yet. Think I'll pay a little more lol.
    07-07-12 02:26 PM
    I have used all types of media and all have worked well from itunes to windows to 7 digital. None are really better or faster than another but all results have been great.
    07-07-12 02:32 PM
    There are more than one apps in appworld that allow you to download music for free.
    Care to share?
    07-07-12 02:36 PM
    thanks for the input. has anyone used MediaMonkey? like the idea of rip once in a bigger file lossless format then sync to devices in smaller MP3 files etc on the fly conversion.

Most music stores now download 256kbps, but Amazon downloads at 256vbr which is a better bitrate in my opinion, but for most mp3 players and devices you probably won't notice the difference. 7digital will download up to 320kbps, which some may prefer. One nice thing about 7digital, for other than use on the PB, is that they offer downloads in flac, which is all I use. I don't do mp3, only lossless. The PB sounds amazing playing wav, but I wish it supported flac, I would save a lot of space.

OP, I've used Media Monkey and it works well, but you should check out EAC. I have a PC as a dedicated music server and now use EAC to rip to flac and that's what I archive with. Then I use EAC to convert to whatever format needed to download to my DAP or burn CDs. I have burned CDs or downloaded tracks from flac (lossless) to mp3 256vbr or 320 for people and it works great. I don't do that often as my DAP supports flac and with an aux port on the head unit in my truck, I use it there also.
    07-07-12 02:50 PM
    how do you tag the artist and song etc with EAC? I used to use CDEx way back when EAC was just emerging!

07-07-12 03:12 PM
    This is all interesting! I'm really learning more everyday..

And yes, I am clueless on all this... Oh Hush!
    07-07-12 03:15 PM
    I've taken to a liking of 7 Digital because of their music locker feature and that I can pay for my songs via PayPal. If not using 7 Digital then I use Amazon's music store.
    07-07-12 04:10 PM
    how do you tag the artist and song etc with EAC? I used to use CDEx way back when EAC was just emerging!

When setting up EAC, enable auto tagging and EAC will use Accurate Rip to tag. Very good tagging data base and the only disputes I've had with it have usually been the sub-genre tag, and I manually edit that to my tastes. You have several tagging options, as well as to individually tag tracks with art, album name, artist, duration, etc...... Error checking is the best of any client I've used yet. I have separate drives for ripping and burning, but even on my laptop the error checking has been great. You can also set the error sensitivity to your preference. Hydrogenaudio has an excellent EAC ripping guide, but just google EAC ripping guide and numerous helps are available. EAC is still one of the most accurate and popular audiophile programs out there. Hard to beat.
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 07-07-12 at 04:28 PM.
    Cee134 likes this.
    07-07-12 04:16 PM
    MP3ify.com 1 donation...unlimited downloads on any tune that's on youtube - been using for 2 years.
    07-07-12 04:35 PM

You are just lucky your Broad, I mean, User of the Month. Just wait till your month's reign is over!
    rotorwrench, jafobabe and kbz1960 like this.
    07-07-12 04:35 PM

LOL, so what? If you are satisfied with your music quality, there's no need to know any of this. Windows Media works fine for probably 90% of people. Don't worry about it. Music quality and accuracy have become an obsession with me, and sometimes I wish it hadn't
    jafobabe likes this.
    07-07-12 04:39 PM
    Thanks for the heads up. I didn't do anything but browse around the site yet. Think I'll pay a little more lol.
    I've been using that site for 5 or 6 years with no issues. You start with like $20 in your account and each purchase just subtracts from your balance. I think they offer a bonus also
    >= $60 +10% bonus, so you get $66 in credit
    >= $90 +15% bonus, so you get $103.50 in credit
    >= $120 +20% bonus, so you get $144 in credit
    07-07-12 05:10 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD