Hi Everyone!

I have been reading about quite a few different charging problems but none quite like mine.

A few weeks ago I started noticing that sometimes when I plug my PlayBook up to charge it does not charge. I have to shake the charger around in the port or unplug it and re-plug it in (most times I have to do this several times) for my tablet to start charging. I initially thought there was a problem with either the PlayBook's charging port or the charger, then I did some tests...

I noticed if I put the PlayBook on standby, when I plug the charger in, the PlayBook would "awake" but not charge (which means the port is detecting something). I then plugged the PB charger into my 9360 and the phone would charge without me having to move it around or unplug and re-plug it (which means the charger is good). Lastly I plugged my 9360 charger into my PlayBook and it would be detected (the little plug comes up in the battery meter) and started the "slow charging" immediately.

It seems my PlayBook's charging port is fine and the PlayBook's Charger is fine as well. The PlayBook just won't charge when I plug the charger in without me having to shake it around or unplug/re-plug the charger... which leaves me to one conclusion.... There must be something wrong with the connection being made with my PlayBook and my charger. I just don't know what... ANY HELP?

Thanks very much for reading through this lengthy post and I appreciate any constructive responses.

PS. I am able to connect the PlayBook to my computer and transfer files and backup fine.
    03-18-12 08:11 AM
    It sounds like a "charger" problem to me. Your phone probably picks up the PlayBook charger easier because of a lower capacity to charge, and the PlayBook takes a lot more "juice" to charge so it's not stable for some reason.....I suggest looking at the charger for a possible malfunction
    03-18-12 08:28 AM
    Hmmmm... could be. I'll try it in my friend's PB tomorrow to see.
    03-18-12 08:53 AM
    Have the same problem with mine. The issue is with the charger plug itself, in my case my wife applied too much sideways pressure when it was plugged in an now it's pretty loose - have the same symptoms like yours.

I have tried several different power cords and they work flawlessly. Better the plug than the pb I guess. I would like to find a charger or adapter with a magnetic plug, not too crazy about the micro usb, especially when using the pb with it plugged in
    03-18-12 08:54 AM
    Hey Stan, do you have a BlackBerry Handset that uses the same size usb charger? Try your charge and see if it works or not...

I would love a magnetic plug!
    03-18-12 08:57 AM
    Radio Shack has the magnetic rapid charger on clearance for $19.99
    StanWiz likes this.
    03-18-12 09:01 AM
    Hey Stan, do you have a BlackBerry Handset that uses the same size usb charger? Try your charge and see if it works or not...

I would love a magnetic plug!
    The pb is the only bb product that I own, I do know that my charger is fine - works if I jiggle it but can't move the pb afterwards. Actually once in a while I get error messages to the effect that it has detected the connection but can't charge from the source, twisting the plug solves the immediate problem.
    I'll have to visit ramshackle. Iphones use the magnetic ones don't they? I wonder what is the amp rating on them.
    03-18-12 09:13 AM
    There may be one other thing that causes this behaviour. The charger is designed to shut off when the battery has reached full charge. The sensor that detects this may be drifting a bit so it does not turn the charger on when it is inserted into the PB. You did not mention what life was left on the battery when you connected the charger. I generally plug my charger in every night regardless of what is left in the battery. Sometimes it does not come on and I leave it. In the morning it is indicating 100% on the battery so it must have charged up overnight I also notice that sometimes when I unplug the charger, it still shows the charger connected. Later it finally indicates I am running on the battery only. Overall I think that the software writers are putting in a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles that cause more anxiety among PB user than any actual charging problems.
    03-18-12 09:22 AM
    The charger that came with the pb is also warrantied for the full year.

While both versions of the magnetic charger have their issues, they both take unnecessary stress off of the small usb port on the pb.

Rim Support
    Tel:
    Canada Toll Free: 1-877-644-8405
    United States Toll Free: 1-877-644-8410
    Puerto Rico Toll Free: 1-855-651-4936
    Email: playbooksupport@blackberry.com
    (UK Support) 0800 096 2805

Playbook French Support
    http://fr.blackberry.com/playbook-ta...ok-support.jsp
    Phone : 0800 914 533 (within 90 days from activation)
    03-18-12 11:06 AM
    There may be one other thing that causes this behaviour. The charger is designed to shut off when the battery has reached full charge. The sensor that detects this may be drifting a bit so it does not turn the charger on when it is inserted into the PB. You did not mention what life was left on the battery when you connected the charger. I generally plug my charger in every night regardless of what is left in the battery. Sometimes it does not come on and I leave it. In the morning it is indicating 100% on the battery so it must have charged up overnight I also notice that sometimes when I unplug the charger, it still shows the charger connected. Later it finally indicates I am running on the battery only. Overall I think that the software writers are putting in a lot of unnecessary bells and whistles that cause more anxiety among PB user than any actual charging problems.
    I always charge when my battery hits around 30 or 35... even when the batter is fully charged, I would see the little plug icon telling me the PB is fully charged. I don't see this. Gonna get a rapid charger even though I hate the idea of using it...
    03-18-12 12:31 PM
    The magnetic charger is fine - got mine from an Amazon marketplace seller at a reasonable cost.
    03-18-12 12:41 PM
    I only use my magnetic charger out of fear of damaging my "future" USB port. When and if that capability is available, I want to be ready.

**I also NEVER let anybody, especially wife or kids, plug anything into or out of my Playbook!
    03-18-12 12:42 PM
    I only use my magnetic charger out of fear of damaging my "future" USB port. When and if that capability is available, I want to be ready.

**I also NEVER let anybody, especially wife or kids, plug anything into or out of my Playbook!
    Ah, ha, USB to-go may "come!"

A reasoned approach born of experience, no doubt.

I can tell you that the micro-usb does not really mate with the hdmi.
    03-18-12 01:10 PM

This is truly a good idea. The USB port on the PB is so badly designed that I fully expect 80% of PBs to experience port failure after a year.
    03-18-12 05:19 PM
    Hi Everyone!

I have been reading about quite a few different charging problems but none quite like mine.

A few weeks ago I started noticing that sometimes when I plug my PlayBook up to charge it does not charge. I have to shake the charger around in the port or unplug it and re-plug it in (most times I have to do this several times) for my tablet to start charging. I initially thought there was a problem with either the PlayBook's charging port or the charger, then I did some tests...

I noticed if I put the PlayBook on standby, when I plug the charger in, the PlayBook would "awake" but not charge (which means the port is detecting something). I then plugged the PB charger into my 9360 and the phone would charge without me having to move it around or unplug and re-plug it (which means the charger is good). Lastly I plugged my 9360 charger into my PlayBook and it would be detected (the little plug comes up in the battery meter) and started the "slow charging" immediately.

It seems my PlayBook's charging port is fine and the PlayBook's Charger is fine as well. The PlayBook just won't charge when I plug the charger in without me having to shake it around or unplug/re-plug the charger... which leaves me to one conclusion.... There must be something wrong with the connection being made with my PlayBook and my charger. I just don't know what... ANY HELP?

Thanks very much for reading through this lengthy post and I appreciate any constructive responses.

PS. I am able to connect the PlayBook to my computer and transfer files and backup fine.
    Well, the PB's USB port is crap, and that's for sure. So most of the fault lies with the PB port, IMO.

I have the same problem as you do: I have the charger that came with my PB, and several chargers from various BBs. This gives me enough chargers to have one in each location where I might need to charge the PB -- bedroom, office, living room, and one in my bag for backup in case I forget to bring the PB charger when I travel -- so I leave the chargers where they are, which means that I know which one behaves in what manner, without getting them confused. Of these 4 chargers, one started behaving as you describe after a couple of months of using it with the PB. Like you, it never makes a sufficient connection for charging the first time I insert it; I'll wait and see if the plug icon appears in the battery status icon, and if not, I'll reinsert it several times until it finally works. If I leave it plugged in without the plug icon displayed, it will eventually load an alert in the notification icon telling me that it can't charge from the charger it's connected to. (The problem charger is not the one which came with the PB; it's one of the slower-charging BB chargers.)

When this started happening, I figured it was the beginning of the end; I expect that the same thing will happen with the other chargers eventually, and the next model of PB will have an improved USB port. (There is no apparent damage to the "affected" charger's plug, and it still seats smoothly, positively, and completely in my BB, so I really do think that the majority of the fault here lies with the PB's USB port.)
    Last edited by cletis; 03-18-12 at 05:37 PM.
    03-18-12 05:35 PM
    Well, the PB's USB port is crap, and that's for sure. So most of the fault lies with the PB port, IMO.

I have the same problem as you do: I have the charger that came with my PB, and several chargers from various BBs. This gives me enough chargers to have one in each location where I might need to charge the PB -- bedroom, office, living room, and one in my bag for backup in case I forget to bring the PB charger when I travel -- so I leave the chargers where they are, which means that I know which one behaves in what manner, without getting them confused. Of these 4 chargers, one started behaving as you describe after a couple of months of using it with the PB. Like you, it never makes a sufficient connection for charging the first time I insert it; I'll wait and see if the plug icon appears in the battery status icon, and if not, I'll reinsert it several times until it finally works. If I leave it plugged in without the plug icon displayed, it will eventually load an alert in the notification icon telling me that it can't charge from the charger it's connected to. (The problem charger is not the one which came with the PB; it's one of the slower-charging BB chargers.)

When this started happening, I figured it was the beginning of the end; I expect that the same thing will happen with the other chargers eventually, and the next model of PB will have an improved USB port. (There is no apparent damage to the "affected" charger's plug, and it still seats smoothly, positively, and completely in my BB, so I really do think that the majority of the fault here lies with the PB's USB port.)
    I plugged my charger into a friend's PB (he just got his, so I think his is newer than mine, i.e. manufactured at a later date than mine) and it worked fine. So I am inclined to believe it's a problem with my PB's USB port. I have to try his charger in mine when I get a chance.

What I don't understand is why when I plug up my PB to my handset charger, I get an immediate response (the white plug icon comes up almost immediately) but using the PB charger it takes several tries for me to get the white lightning bolt??

EDIT: By the way when I said I would love a magnetic charger, I meant I would love if RIM or someone else created a magnetic USB charger. Not the Rapid Charger.
    Last edited by bounce007; 03-19-12 at 06:58 AM.
    03-19-12 06:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD
We have updated our Privacy Policy and Terms & Conditions. Please check them out.