I've been using the standby icon on the battery icon to turn off my playbook.
    That doesn't really turn off the playbook, so I wondered which is better, putting it on stand by or using the shutdown icon on the battery every night?
    How do they operate differently?
    Thx
    12-07-13 02:20 PM
    I've been using the standby icon on the battery icon to turn off my playbook.
    That doesn't really turn off the playbook, so I wondered which is better, putting it on stand by or using the shutdown icon on the battery every night?
    How do they operate differently?
    Thx
    Standby turns the screen off and sets the device into low energy consumption mode.

Turning it off turns it off.

I personally never turn the PB off. I've spend a week out of town and didn't really have time to even touch my PB. Guess what? It used about 30% of the battery on Standby. I know I was surprised when I saw that. 2-3 days days I would be ok with, but a saturdaty to saturday?

Here is what I suggest, you should see a 2-4% drain max. Turn airplane mode on, standby and hit the sack.
    Last edited by diegonei; 12-07-13 at 04:07 PM.
    12-07-13 02:25 PM
    Stand by turns the screen off and sets the device into low energy consumption mode.
    Turning it off turns it off.
    I personally never turn the PB off. I've spend a week out of town and didn't really have time to even touch my PB. Guess what? It used about 30% of the battery on Standby. I know I was surprised when I saw that. 2-3 days days I would be ok with, but a saturdaty to saturday?
    Here is what I suggest, you should see a 2-4% drain max. Turn airplane mode on, standby and hit the sack.
    Well I've always just hit standby, so is airplane + standby better?
    12-07-13 02:47 PM
    Airplane mode will turn off your WiFi and Bluetooth. These will consume power as well. But you will lose connectivity to email and such. So trade off. If you are near charging, just standby is fine. If you aren't going to be able to charge for a while, and you are pretty low % battery, turn it off.

Most people don't like to turn it off routinely because of the 2-3 minute boot time.
    diegonei likes this.
    12-07-13 02:55 PM
    Airplane mode will turn off your WiFi and Bluetooth. These will consume power as well. But you will lose connectivity to email and such. So trade off. If you are near charging, just standby is fine. If you aren't going to be able to charge for a while, and you are pretty low % battery, turn it off.

Most people don't like to turn it off routinely because of the 2-3 minute boot time.
    Ok, so for every day, just use standby for overnight and for leaving one behind wben on vacation, use airplane + standby?
    12-07-13 03:09 PM
    Ok, so for every day, just use standby for overnight and for leaving one behind wben on vacation, use airplane + standby?
    No. I would say not.

Airplane + standby when you go to sleep. You don't read emails when you're sleeping so it doesn't matter if they only arrive after you wake up. Wake up, turn airplane mode off, get your emails.

If you're going away and leaving your playbook behind, shut it off.

The one thing you don't wanna do to li-on batteries is let them drain completely. So if you're going to be away and the device won't be in use, turn it off.
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    12-07-13 03:11 PM
    Airplane mode and standby does it for most days if all running apps except Battery Guru have been shut down. Sometimes those sneaky Android ports whether sideloaded or obtained from BB World keep going. I use Advanced App Manager from BB World to check and kill. Also if you have messaging settings be careful they don't wake up the PB system too often. In standby I usually have an energy consumption of 0.06 watts. The PB battery is rated at 5400 miiliamperes and the nominal power is stated to be 19.95 watt-hours. Thus for a battery with 100% health the percentage of battery used per day in standby would be about 7.2% and the battery could be in standby for 14 days. T Practically batteries are not 100% healthy and shut down with several percent charge left so the standby time would be less.

The lower consumption rate obtained by Diegonel may just indicate that he has better messaging settings than I do. With Battery Guru you can look at the overnight graph and check your energy usage in standby.

Shutdown and reboot is occasionally useful to clear the cobwebs.
    Gooseberry Falls likes this.
    12-07-13 03:20 PM
    No. I would say not.

Airplane + standby when you go to sleep. You don't read emails when you're sleeping so it doesn't matter if they only arrive after you wake up. Wake up, turn airplane mode off, get your emails.

If you're going away and leaving your playbook behind, shut it off.

The one thing you don't wanna do to li-on batteries is let them drain completely. So if you're going to be away and the device won't be in use, turn it off.
    Lol. Or just leave it on a charger.
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    12-07-13 03:27 PM
    Airplane mode and standby does it for most days if all running apps except Battery Guru have been shut down. Sometimes those sneaky Android ports whether sideloaded or obtained from BB World keep going. I use Advanced App Manager from BB World to check and kill. Also if you have messaging settings be careful they don't wake up the PB system too often. In standby I usually have an energy consumption of 0.06 watts. The PB battery is rated at 5400 miiliamperes and the nominal power is stated to be 19.95 watt-hours. Thus for a battery with 100% health the percentage of battery used per day in standby would be about 7.2% and the battery could be in standby for 14 days. T Practically batteries are not 100% healthy and shut down with several percent charge left so the standby time would be less.

The lower consumption rate obtained by Diegonel may just indicate that he has better messaging settings than I do. With Battery Guru you can look at the overnight graph and check your energy usage in standby.

Shutdown and reboot is occasionally useful to clear the cobwebs.
    Last year I was away for 2.5 weeks and just left a playbook lying unplugged. I was lucky.
    The battery showed red, so I just plugged it in and it was ok.
    I've heard bad stories about this kind of thing, so I want to make sure next time.
    12-07-13 03:31 PM
    Last year I was away for 2.5 weeks and just left a playbook lying unplugged. I was lucky.
    The battery showed red, so I just plugged it in and it was ok.
    I've heard bad stories about this kind of thing, so I want to make sure next time.
    Yeah, you really want to stay away from that scenario. I think I have been in the red zone a couple of times, which scared me.
    diegonei likes this.
    12-07-13 03:38 PM
    Lol. Or just leave it on a charger.
    Leaveing it on the charger damages the battery. It has to have its circles. You can top it as many times as you want but it does not good letting it sit on the charger either.

Not gonna use for longer periods: shut it off.

Yeah, you really want to stay away from that scenario. I think I have been in the red zone a couple of times, which scared me.
    Agreed. Neither leave it on the charger nor let it drain to 0. That's why it shuts itself up at 7%.

As for my email settings... They don't really matter as airplane mode kills all internet connections lol (right? or did I miss something?).
    12-07-13 03:47 PM
    Leaveing it on the charger damages the battery. It has to have its circles. You can top it as many times as you want but it does not good letting it sit on the charger either.

Not gonna use for longer periods: shut it off.

Agreed. Neither leave it on the charger nor let it drain to 0. That's why it shuts itself up at 7%.

As for my email settings... They don't really matter as airplane mode kills all internet connections lol (right? or did I miss something?).
    Deep discharge probably does more to shorten battery life for LiPo ( lithium polymer) batteries than leaving on the charger according to experiments. The results of these experiments however probably should not be applied quantitatively to the PB batteries because the battery design and chemical composition is likely different. Nevertheless avoiding discharges below perhaps 20% and removing from the charger at least when fully charged or even slightly before that point will help extend battery life. Also avoid ambient temperatures above 35 C. If storing for a considerable time you might want to charge it to 50 to 60% as manufacturers do because tests have shown that this is better for battery life. Storage at 20 C would be fine if relative humidity is low enough.

Settings do matter even in airplane mode because the OS is still running at low energy and apps such as Facebook and emails will periodically request wifi and this causes additional energy use even if the wifi connection is not made. This will appear as spikes on the Battery Guru graph.

Don't worry too much about the battery. Enjoy using the PB.
    12-07-13 04:53 PM
    Thanks for reminding me. My 32gig has been sitting on the side for about a month now due to Thanksgiving and recarpeting and life. So I'm turning it on. Great, still at 87%.

So, if long term disuse is planned, Power it OFF.

But even if you don't plan on using it for 3 or 4 days, OFF might be better than Standby just in case you lose track of time and it fully depletes.
    12-08-13 01:17 PM