View Poll Results: Did you purchase your Playbook at full price?

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I paid full retail price for my Playbook.

37 38.54%
  • No I used a discount to purchase my Playbook.

59 61.46%
    Wow 64 for $299?? That's a deal!
    Yep that is why i couldn't pass it up.
    10-14-11 10:14 PM
    Also picked-up my 64gb at Staples today. Returned a 32gb back in May. Will keep this one for sure with 2.0 coming.
    10-14-11 10:22 PM
    Got one the first week they came out, I liked it but just didn't seem comfortable that i spent that much money on something with barley any apps so I returned it. Then when they became $200 off i jumped all over it. Playbook is the only tablet i have ever owned
    I did the exact same thing for the exact same reason. So far im ok with the purchase.
    10-14-11 10:44 PM
    We to Bestbuy to pick up the 16g while on sale for $299 they had none in stock. Manager ended up giving me the 64gig for the sale price of the 16gig.

64gig + $299 = happy me
    wow! super deal. i got my PB 16gb at futureshop for $150, thanks to sears and staples for their great offers.. don't really have plan to get another tablet (i have iPad, gave it to my kid as i barely use it even before i got PB) but the sales drives me to get one (almost buy another one, but...) and i would say PB is meant to be in my hands. aw-aw-awesome!
    10-14-11 10:48 PM
    Bought my 64GB a week ago at London Drugs for $499. Just bought a charging pod for $26.22 at Circuit City. Pod was on clearance for $34.96 plus I got another 25% off for their anniversary sale. I would not have bought either it they were not on sale.
    Last edited by BoltBerry; 10-14-11 at 10:57 PM.
    bermont likes this.
    10-14-11 10:52 PM
    I bought my 32GB for full price. pre-ordered it in January too.
    10-14-11 10:55 PM
    I got my 16gig PB @ Bestbuy for $299 + tax which was $200 off list price. I still love mine and use it rather than my laptop now.
    10-14-11 11:32 PM
    Got my 64 GB at Best Buy for $100 off plus $100 in store coupon and the check out girl gave me another $100 gift card to boot. Learning my way around. Learned about PB_Tools and side loading apps. My wife's play Angry Birds right now.
    10-14-11 11:39 PM
    Surprising result so far - appears that playbook actually IS picking up in sales, contrary to popular belief.
    10-15-11 12:36 AM
    My 16 GB playbook I payed $100 for will be here tomorrow.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk
    Lol, mine too! Wait, its tomorrow already, $99 PB arrives today!!
    10-15-11 08:36 AM
    $200 discount on the 16GB at Futureshop, i pounced for $299
    10-15-11 09:12 AM
    I actually bought mine a few weeks after launch. Then with the telus teamwebstore got 5-6 more playbooks with the 100 mastercard offer.

My dad loves his and is getting used to using that instead of his laptop.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-15-11 09:40 AM
    I bought my first BlackBerry PlayBook (32GB) pre-release at full retail price. I bought my second BlackBerry PlayBook (16GB) during recent sales promotions. As the promotions begin to wrap-up sales will likely decline. The discounted pricing is the retail price these tablets should be set going forward. If Research In Motion had taken this approach to pricing from the outset, then when the 3G/4G/LTE BlackBerry PlayBook is released the higher price points could have been justified for the new model. Alternatively, they could have worked with wireless carriers to promote the WiFi tablet by offering a tablet plus smartphone to further promote bridge-functionality, allowing for no penalty early smartphone hardware upgrade, say with a 4-year contract both at the full retail price of the BlackBerry PlayBook.

That said, Research In (Slow) Motion has relied on the wireless carriers to market their smartphones and had no idea how to market the tablet directly to consumers and organizations. At least, the preceding idea might have gotten the wireless carriers on-board with the BlackBerry PlayBook sales effort and marketing campaign. And with a recent episode of Flashpoint featuring the BlackBerry PlayBook why is RIM not ensuring continued product placement in this series which is broadcast in Canada and now in the United States of America? There is a new American network series called "Harry's Law" and is broadcast on GlobalTV in Canada; why not pay for product placement on this series which could showcase the professional-use of this tablet by lawyers/attorneys? What in Hades is wrong with the folks working(?) in the marketing department of Research In (Slow) Motion? Heck, why not hand out the tablet to first year law students at a few law schools in Canada to "seed the market?"
    10-15-11 10:01 AM
    Got mine at Staples on Monday. 16 gig for 200.00 off. Paid 299.00

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    mz. yaya likes this.
    10-15-11 10:14 AM
    Had been on the fence about a tablet when a co-worker won a 16gb in a company contest. He really liked it and so I started reading up on it, and ran into the Bridge!

At that point it was RIM's contest to lose - no way would I buy a tablet without that feature "if it worked". The fellow that let me borrow the PB didn't have a BB (is a coop engineering student) so I had to do all the setup, which was dead simple... and gave it a whirl. Worked as advertised - SOLD. Made the decision right there and at that point it was just the decision of which one.

THEN the Team TELUS discounts hit - $200 off, and the RIM back to school MC offer was announced. No brainer - 16gb model for $299, plus the $100 MC offer = $199 PB.

My work partner bought 2 16gb's - one for her spouse and one for herself. The first one came right away, but the second one seemed to be delayed. When it arrived (about a week later) the box was the wrong colour - it was GREEN. She paid the $299 for the 16gb but was shipped the 32gb. So she got a 16 and a 32 for $598 plus will recieve $200 in MC rebates.

Pretty sweet.

Googlie
    10-15-11 10:23 AM
    I purchased it both on opening day and when it went on sale I got one for my dad. Now my family has four and they work great. I got one for my mother in law so she could video chat with my wife and kids. I wondered if she would use it much beyond that because she is not a techie but I was pleasantly surprised that she absolutely loves it and uses it daily.
    She joined a book club and reads her books on Kobo. She is really enjoying her reading experience and has her favorite websites saved as apps. We also share pictures and video via BlueBox so the Playbook is a hit.
    It is true that BlackBerry has not taken the tablet market in sales but the people that have a Playbook seem to love it.
    Additionally, I love not having to pay 50 bucks per tablet to access the internet in no wifi areas. That is a savings of 1,200.00 bucks every couple of years. It more than pays for the tablet and new upgrades.
    I love my Playbook.
    10-15-11 10:46 AM
    You need an option in the poll for both.
    I bought a 16gb on day one for $499.
    I just bought a 32gb from staples for $399
    I think a "both" option would just cancel each other out - interested here in the proportion of sales "pre-discount" to "post-discount" looks like post discount is winning by a country mile, thus demonstrating the playbook would sell well at a lower price, even "pre 2.0" and it may be that the higher price had contributed significantly to slow initial sales - along with poor marketing and retail of course.

Some people in the forums have been claiming that "poor sales = inferior device" ignoring other factors that contribute. People are also claiming that they are sitting in warehouses unsold, which may have been true a month ago before the discounts, but this poll indicates that is likely no longer the case at the lower price point.

Just keeping the facts straight.

Also shows that we have may have a lot of new people in here!
    It would be interesting if Crackberry provided membership stats - wonder what proportion has just signed up as a result of a playbook purchase?

Last edited by blackjack93117; 10-15-11 at 12:28 PM.
    10-15-11 12:24 PM
    Full price on April 19. Glad I got it on the first day, but wish I didn't have to pay full price
    10-15-11 01:45 PM
    I wish there was some way to find out how many are still sitting in a warehouse somewhere.
    10-15-11 01:52 PM
    Full price on April 19. Glad I got it on the first day, but wish I didn't have to pay full price
    Such is the cost we early adopters had to bear. On the bright side we have witnessed the development of this tablet from birth to its soon approaching second birthday (PBOS 2.0 aka BBX 2.0) without waiting two calendar years.
    10-15-11 02:22 PM
    I answered "full price," because I did (64gb), but my husband got his with the discount (32gb). I don't think he would have bought one at full, since he doesn't need mobile computing like I do.
    10-15-11 03:29 PM
46 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD