If I click a phone number link on the playbook will it dial that number through the Blackberry? I make a lot of calls on my Bluetooth earpiece and it would save me manually dialing the number.
    12-31-11 12:17 PM
    Certainly will not...Sorry...
    12-31-11 12:30 PM
    The only way there is now is Phone Remote, but you have to be in a wifi.

Phone Remote for the PB is $3.00 and the one you put on your phone is free.

Hope this helps!
    Hgouck likes this.
    12-31-11 12:42 PM
    Well, Poynt (when paired with a bb phone with poynt) can send a phone number to the phone and then you can dial it.
    bluetroll, jafobabe and Hgouck like this.
    12-31-11 01:07 PM
    Well, Poynt (when paired with a bb phone with poynt) can send a phone number to the phone and then you can dial it.
    Thanks F2... I really didn't know that Poynt had that ability. Good to know.

Just goes to show how much *I* travel .. LOL
    12-31-11 01:10 PM
    I forget about Poynt. And lots of other things these days.
    12-31-11 02:24 PM
    I use Poynt all the time and did not know that about the Playbook
    12-31-11 02:27 PM
    Has anyone tried clicking a linked phone number with the bridge browser to see what happens?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-31-11 02:49 PM
    Just to clarify a point that I just tested. The phone numbers are never displayed as links on the playbook, even when bridged.
    12-31-11 04:10 PM
    Just to clarify a point that I just tested. The phone numbers are never displayed as links on the playbook, even when bridged.
    They don't on show as links on the phone usually either but I was told that if the website uses the proper <a href> link that it can... And the phone will dial it. Can anyone try that with a test html file and see if it works on the playbook?

12-31-11 04:23 PM
    Anyone had a chance to try this with the <a href tel> tag yet? I would do it but don't have one yet

01-01-12 08:19 PM
    Anyone had a chance to try this with the <a href tel> tag yet? I would do it but don't have one yet

I tested by doing a google search for a local business on my phone and on the PlayBook. The phone had a link for the phone number, the playbook did not. So while I didn't look at the actual HTML, I think this is effectively what I tested.
    01-02-12 07:45 AM
    I tested by doing a google search for a local business on my phone and on the PlayBook. The phone had a link for the phone number, the playbook did not. So while I didn't look at the actual HTML, I think this is effectively what I tested.
    That makes sense. Thanks for trying Linux!

01-02-12 08:47 AM
    I'm not sure where this is all going, but it would be very cool. How does video conference bear on this ?
    Me, I like being able to fiddle with my new PB knowing it will NOT ring ! Doc Neutron
    Last edited by DoctorNeutron; 01-02-12 at 09:36 AM. Reason: formatting
    01-02-12 09:35 AM

Am I missing a setting on my phone (9800/6.0.0.600/ATT official ATT current ver) that doesn't let me click phone numbers on web pages to dial?

Remember doing it on my 9000, my GFs phone does it no problem (9630/5.0.0.975/Verizon), but my 9800 won't do it!

I have an online CRM mobile app (not BB app) that I NEED NEED NEED to dial from contact screen on the road - currently have to select/copy/paste to phone dialer or grab glasses/pen/paper and write down then manually enter. Works on their page w/GF's phone no problem. Tested a few websites her phone vs mine - hers gets links/recognizes phone numbers - mine doesn't. Will be adding PB to the mix as soon as I can (road warrior/sales) as it will make use of this CRM much easier on the road.

HELP?
    01-02-12 10:00 AM
    Am I missing a setting on my phone (9800/6.0.0.600/ATT official ATT current ver) that doesn't let me click phone numbers on web pages to dial?

Remember doing it on my 9000, my GFs phone does it no problem (9630/5.0.0.975/Verizon), but my 9800 won't do it!

I have an online CRM mobile app (not BB app) that I NEED NEED NEED to dial from contact screen on the road - currently have to select/copy/paste to phone dialer or grab glasses/pen/paper and write down then manually enter. Works on their page w/GF's phone no problem. Tested a few websites her phone vs mine - hers gets links/recognizes phone numbers - mine doesn't. Will be adding PB to the mix as soon as I can (road warrior/sales) as it will make use of this CRM much easier on the road.

HELP?
    I have never tried to click a phone number from a web page with either my old 9800 or my 9810.
    As for your CRM mobile app, you may want to query the App dev to see if they support OS6 on your 9800 for the linking. That's the only difference I see between your G/F phone and yours.

Sorry I couldn't help more!
    Last edited by jafobabe; 01-02-12 at 10:19 AM.
    01-02-12 10:17 AM
    The phonenumber link in a webpage on my prior 8830, Tour and now BOLD/9650 is terrific. It has blown away friends who do not have smartphones. Driving through remote Oregon looking ahead for a motel, looking them up and dialing the link while tooling ahead (no, I was not driving).

Of course, similarly, using my TomTom gps to look for a restaurant, finding it, hitting dial and having my paired bbphone dial what the separate tomtom found is still magic - and I guess this is what folks are asking for with the pb. Finding something on the comfortable sized pb and having it dial the phone. That's what the Poynt apps kind of do. I guess it is interesting that the non-allied TomTom can do stuff with a bb phone, that Rim's own PB cannot do.
    01-02-12 11:11 AM

HELP?
    Phone Links in webpages works for my 9650/Bold. Under your Browser, what "emulation" do you use? Might that affect how pages are displayed. It is somewhere in the Browser options on the PHONE.

I have no idea of the underlying html source code for pages that have "active links" with phone numbers. I just know that if I google somethings, even in the google search page, some phone links are active and I don't even have to go to the site's actual home page.

Are you on a corporate phone (bes) - that can lock some stuff up from what I've read.
    01-02-12 01:16 PM
    BIS, looking for emulation now.
    01-02-12 01:25 PM
    Enable Keyboard Shortcuts: checked on

Web Content: Load Images, Enable JavaScript, Block Popups, Enable Embedded Media all "checked" and on

Default Text Encoding: ISO-8859-1 (wow - that's a HUGE list of choices - never changed this)

Auto-Detect Text Encoding: checked on

can't find emulation option, but i do remember it on previous Berries
    01-02-12 01:39 PM
    On my 9650. It is Browser Config and then Browser Identification: choices are Blackberry, Firefox, IE.

It is probably something else. Something that allows or disallows certain linking.
    01-02-12 02:19 PM
    On my 9650. It is Browser Config and then Browser Identification: choices are Blackberry, Firefox, IE.

It is probably something else. Something that allows or disallows certain linking.
    Search of old threads reveals it's an OS6 issue - some resolved by changing "Default Text Encoding" option from ISO-8859-1 to ASCII type option. none of the threads ended with a clear resolution and were dead ends. trying BlackBerry support website and BB help twitter folks.

Thanks for the efforts!
    01-02-12 02:39 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD