ComWave offers an application for the BlackBerry PlayBook to make and receive telephone calls.

Posted via CB10
    thanks, but i'm not looking for a voip app,,, i want to use the playbook as a bluetooth/bridge speakerphone to make/recieve calls using the existing # & device...
    01-11-14 07:42 AM
    The problem as I remember it. Is the PB doesn't have open blue tooth.

Meaning, it's a bit of a dumb receiver.

And BB10 is still fairly BT closed... I just don't see using your PB to answer Bb10 calls as happening. But that's just me.

Posted via CB from my LE
    01-12-14 07:19 PM
    did you try Comwave?
    01-13-14 10:33 AM
    i wanna steer clear of sideloads & voip apps,,, ephone is another in that vein,,, ideally a native, built for bb type thing is what i have in mind,,, i wanna use my existing # & not sign up for a service or get another #,,, this would not only be super convenient when using the playbook, but also ideal as a desktop speakerphone when coupled w/ the charging dock,,, of the 2mill+ pb's out there, there'd be a pretty good # that'd jump on this...
    I take it the free Comwave e-phone app won't do it? I use it fr calls on my PlayBook but have not tried it over BlueTooth.
    nah, i'm shooting for a native bluetooth app,,, if you can imagine the playbook working like a BT earpiece/speakerphone but w/ really cool (g)ui & being able to make/recieve calls using your existing # via the existing bluetooth/bridged connection...
    ComWave offers an application for the BlackBerry PlayBook to make and receive telephone calls.

Posted via CB10
    thanks, but i'm not looking for a voip app,,, i want to use the playbook as a bluetooth/bridge speakerphone to make/recieve calls using the existing # & device...
    did you try Comwave?
    DrBoomBotz likes this.
    01-13-14 12:38 PM
    The problem as I remember it. Is the PB doesn't have open blue tooth.

Meaning, it's a bit of a dumb receiver.

And BB10 is still fairly BT closed... I just don't see using your PB to answer Bb10 calls as happening. But that's just me.

Posted via CB from my LE
    hmmm,,, i was shooting for BBos, but ideally both is best,,, w/ a "closed" bt is it possible to use the software to get around it??? like mentioned, the hardware is definately there,,, speakers, mic, etc...
    01-13-14 12:42 PM
    hmmm,,, i was shooting for BBos, but ideally both is best,,, w/ a "closed" bt is it possible to use the software to get around it??? like mentioned, the hardware is definately there,,, speakers, mic, etc...
    Bluetooth has many profiles but the ones activated on BB10 apparently don't allow the desired use. The PB uses an earlier version of Bluetooth and not all profiles are activaged on it. How do you get around these problems? Software written to use Bluetooth can only take advantage of supported profiles.

There is also possibly Mobile Hot Spot but that requires PB to be on a wireless network.
    Last edited by jpash549; 01-13-14 at 04:28 PM.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    01-13-14 02:36 PM
    based on this tread. I actually installed the android version of rogers 1 on my phone. if I'm on wifi network, the minutes on the phone (for calls within canada are free). I can also use my pc for it. I wish I could use it on my pb too.
    01-14-14 01:45 AM
    Bluetooth has many profiles but the ones activated on BB10 apparently don't allow the desired use. The PB uses an earlier version of Bluetooth and not all profiles are activaged on it. How do you get around these problems? Software written to use Bluetooth can only take advantage of supported profiles.

There is also possibly Mobile Hot Spot but that requires PB to be on a wireless network.
    a bluetooth hack maybe??? surely it can't be as hard as breaking the bootloader...
    01-14-14 12:15 PM
    a bluetooth hack maybe??? surely it can't be as hard as breaking the bootloader...
    Which has not been done yet apparently.
    01-14-14 12:45 PM
    Which has not been done yet apparently.
    therein lies the punchline...
    01-15-14 11:47 AM
    Yeah to hack blue tooth you need a rooted devices.

We can only do what the API's allow...

The only solution is to build a WIFI sender app on the phone. And a WIFI receiver app on the PB. And have it act as a tunnel.

However you need them to always run to work. And I don't know if BBOS let's you capture audio to a flat file or play audio from a flat file to users on the end of the phone. (not a Java developer myself)

Posted via CB from my LE
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    01-15-14 01:40 PM
    Yeah to hack blue tooth you need a rooted devices.

We can only do what the API's allow...

The only solution is to build a WIFI sender app on the phone. And a WIFI receiver app on the PB. And have it act as a tunnel.

However you need them to always run to work. And I don't know if BBOS let's you capture audio to a flat file or play audio from a flat file to users on the end of the phone. (not a Java developer myself)

Posted via CB from my LE
    could there be a way to piggyback the bridged call notification???
    01-15-14 06:06 PM
    Looks like bluetooth calls can be made from the mini stereo speaker,,, how can this be applied here???
    01-15-14 09:42 PM
    any luck???
    01-18-14 03:04 PM
    Anyone????
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    01-18-14 06:01 PM
    Great thought. Good luck. Would be great.
    SEAWARRIOR likes this.
    01-20-14 01:40 AM
    thanks.....
    01-20-14 11:37 AM
    I saw this app called "phone remote for blackberry". it seems to coonect trough wifi rather than bluetooth.

does anyone knows if it works with bb10?
    01-21-14 03:59 PM
    I have often thought PB should be able to at least answer calls whilst bridged. Would love to see this feature, as well as a host of others. Would definitely use it. Maybe we should petition BB.
    01-21-14 04:29 PM
    I have often thought PB should be able to at least answer calls whilst bridged. Would love to see this feature, as well as a host of others. Would definitely use it. Maybe we should petition BB.
    petitioning them probably won't fly,,, as much as i'd like to see them do so, i don't think they're going to put much, if any, more time or cash into it,,, we're on our own...
    Last edited by SEAWARRIOR; 01-21-14 at 06:42 PM.
    01-21-14 06:27 PM
    how 'bout it folks???
    02-01-14 02:13 AM
46 12