Bought sketch with friends yesterday. Just noticed they made a free version available as well. Well the bought version allows players to enter the platinum lounge, good deal. I have won enough matches as to enter this lucrative realm, here's my point. If you notice at the users playing in this lounge........THEY ARE ALL BLACKBERRY!!!!! Meaning they have all bought this version of words with friends!!!! Meanwhile all the other platforms you so desperately create apps for have stuck to the free version! Now I know that since the free version is now available, more blackberry playbook owners will download that instead of purchasing it........but if the developers of words with friends hadn't made this free version available for our beloved platform....we still would of bought their app without complaints. We don't care, atleast me, if it's free.......it's the quality that matters.
    03-28-12 01:00 AM
    to me that seems to say that if developers dont release free versions people will pay for apps.

i REALLY want to get into coding so i can use the PB to its full potential, but i dont think your idea follows from the reasoning you used to back it up.

Im sure if this app was NOT free on other platforms people would buy it, they would have to if they wanted to play it. How many people spent $5 on angry birds when its $1 on their phones?
    03-28-12 01:11 AM
    Actually, I think the OP is on to something here, though basing conclusions on the observation of one game might be a little dangerous.

But I've seen other cases where developers have seen more revenue in a week of Playbook sales than they'd had in years on the Android Market. It's basically the upside to the relatively low app count in the PB App Store; for those developers who choose to support the platform, it's a lot easier to stand out.
    bbfan1040 likes this.
    03-28-12 03:12 AM
    I think that developers need to pick the market where they will shine the most when creating apps. They should not stick to a certain platform just because of its popularity, that won't make their app that much as popular. On the ios platform, which is the biggest market as of now, draw something is kicking major .....those users will either download the app for free, or purchase it. They won't look for other "sketch" related apps in the vastness of the ios market when they could just download the hottest app of the moment (for the most part). Developers, investigate how many apps of the same type there are before releasing an app of the same subject. The playbook cuts the chances of repetition in its market by a Longshot.
    03-28-12 04:55 AM
    Different perspective I never thought of. Establish app reputation with PB and then port to other platforms. Always thought the higher price for PB apps was limited market and difficulty in getting return on investment. Willing to pay up to $10 but I'd balk at anything greater.
    03-28-12 07:53 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD