Is this devcon day 1 and all we are offered by rim? The elephant in the room is screaming loud and a release date isnt discussed or reported to have been announced?

Edit: Thorsten's opening speech. Generalities, carefully dodging details and info: Opening speech devcon
    Last edited by kb5zht; 02-07-12 at 05:25 AM.
    Taipuma likes this.
    02-07-12 05:18 AM
    ...keep calm

...be bold

02-07-12 05:23 AM
    Dude. We never came into BlackBerry DevCon Europe Expecting announcements.

Mobile World Congress is at the end of this month. In February. That's your big show with more of a consumer market and a bigger global audience/media presence. That's where/when I full expect to see PlayBook OS 2.0 drop. Doing it at DevCon vs. MWC wouldn't make sense.

After that, BlackBerry World is coming up in May. That's where I expect we'll see BlackBerry 10 get a bigger unveiling.

This is a developer event, geared to getting devs putting apps on the platform. Judging by attendance, the fact that sessions are all booked up, etc., I think the show is delivering what the attendees came for.
    02-07-12 05:24 AM
    You were so eager to criticize it...and then you got it wrong.
    02-07-12 05:25 AM
    You were so eager to criticize it...and then you got it wrong.
    Yea okay I got the guy's shirt wrong by a word. Syntax mistake. Boy you nailed me there.

And Kevin , fine, whatever, there is just a huge number of people out here dying to be told something. Thats what I am saying and many were hoping it would be devcon Europe. Not an OS drop but some info. Even the crackberry blogs suggested a feb 17 drop date so MWC Would be a bit late for that.

Note: Apparently you thought I was expecting a drop. I never hinted at that or suggested it. I was looking for some announcements regarding a drop date and shedding more light on the subject instead of leaving the ambiguous "February" time frame since we are in February now.
    Last edited by kb5zht; 02-07-12 at 05:38 AM.
    02-07-12 05:31 AM
    Dude. We never came into BlackBerry DevCon Europe Expecting announcements.

Mobile World Congress is at the end of this month. In February. That's your big show with more of a consumer market and a bigger global audience/media presence. That's where/when I full expect to see PlayBook OS 2.0 drop. Doing it at DevCon vs. MWC wouldn't make sense.

After that, BlackBerry World is coming up in May. That's where I expect we'll see BlackBerry 10 get a bigger unveiling.

This is a developer event, geared to getting devs putting apps on the platform. Judging by attendance, the fact that sessions are all booked up, etc., I think the show is delivering what the attendees came for.
    Dude. Some great content today, loving the PlayBook love, but man, they've got to get some execs who can execute a presentation.
    02-07-12 05:32 AM
    Got the feeling that PlayBook OS 2.0 will be available at the end of DevCon Europe.
    02-07-12 05:45 AM
    I can see why the Playbook os is still baking thats for sure,I want it bad but i want it to work also.Either that or the Playbook they used to showcase 2.0 needed a good reboot before going out on stage
    02-07-12 05:47 AM
    Two things i learned from devcon.
    1.Os2 is not coming this week and probably not next week either.
    2.Thorsten is pronounced Torsten.
    02-07-12 05:52 AM
    I can see why the Playbook os is still baking thats for sure,I want it bad but i want it to work also.Either that or the Playbook they used to showcase 2.0 needed a good reboot before going out on stage
    At least they were explicit abouth Facebook integration into PIM for the first time.
    02-07-12 05:52 AM
    Yea okay I got the guy's shirt wrong by a word. Syntax mistake. Boy you nailed me there.

And Kevin , fine, whatever, there is just a huge number of people out here dying to be told something. Thats what I am saying and many were hoping it would be devcon Europe. Not an OS drop but some info. Even the crackberry blogs suggested a feb 17 drop date so MWC Would be a bit late for that.

Note: Apparently you thought I was expecting a drop. I never hinted at that or suggested it. I was looking for some announcements regarding a drop date and shedding more light on the subject instead of leaving the ambiguous "February" time frame since we are in February now.
    Thorsten is on record as saying "by the end of February." MWC would fit in with that. Everything else is just speculation and rumor.
    ralfyguy likes this.
    02-07-12 05:53 AM
    At least they were explicit abouth Facebook integration into PIM for the first time.
    Almost forgot about that.Yes they did mention Facebook and the contacts app looks great.Its not the fastest but there is a whole lot going on with it and i think its worth the extra 2 seconds to 3 of load time.
    02-07-12 05:57 AM
    Thorsten is on record as saying "by the end of February." MWC would fit in with that. Everything else is just speculation and rumor.
    I did hear him say "later this month" today.IDK but later this month sounds closer than by the end of this month or Im just being overly optimistic as usual.
    02-07-12 05:59 AM
    I did hear him say "later this month" today.IDK but later this month sounds closer than by the end of this month or Im just being overly optimistic as usual.
    Yes and Kevin was quick to use MWC as a suggested dropping point, but I would like to point out one of his own site bloggers suggested a Feb 17 date via rumors.... Pointing out that MWC is as much pure speculation as Feb 17, 21st, 23rd, MWC or any other date.

Two things i learned from devcon.
    1.Os2 is not coming this week and probably not next week either.
    2.Thorsten is pronounced Torsten.
    Saddly, that's about all I gleened from it.

Oh... And that the guy's shirt said be bold, not stay bold. Real big that one. 8-|
    Last edited by kb5zht; 02-07-12 at 06:08 AM.
    02-07-12 06:04 AM
    i thought alec did a nice job of presenting. very light hearted casual kind of presentation.
    dobiefan likes this.
    02-07-12 06:11 AM
    Yes and Kevin was quick to use MWC as a suggested dropping point, but I would like to point out one of his own site bloggers suggested a Feb 17 date via rumors.... Pointing out that MWC is as much pure speculation as Feb 17, 21st, 23rd, MWC or any other date.

Saddly, that's about all I gleened from it.

Oh... And that the guy's shirt said be bold, not stay bold. Real big that one. 8-|
    The important thing is you're still learning. Because knowledge is power.
    02-07-12 06:15 AM
    as long as we get a ton of new useful apps, devcon sounds like it's on target.
    02-07-12 06:15 AM
    I watched the Keynote from Thorsten Heins.

There was a point where a picture was taken on a 9900 and then an attempt was made to open that picture up on a bridged Playbook. It didn't work and they couldn't do it. Heins just said "I need to move on . . . "

That made me feel really nervous about whether 2.0 is really done and embarrassed for everyone involved.
    02-07-12 06:16 AM
    Did the Playbooks that were distributed to attendees have a 2.0 build on them? If so, was it a newer build than what we've seen?

Also, were the attendees given a Cascades SDK? Any word on when the rest of us will see that?
    Last edited by app_Developer; 02-07-12 at 06:36 AM.
    02-07-12 06:19 AM
    Dude. We never came into BlackBerry DevCon Europe Expecting announcements ...
    Thanks. Btw, it is great to see that The Fearless Leader of this great Crackberry Nation that I have recently discovered, is a fellow 'pegger.
    Go Jets Go!
    02-07-12 06:31 AM
    Is this devcon day 1 and all we are offered by rim? The elephant in the room is screaming loud and a release date isnt discussed or reported to have been announced?

Edit: Thorsten's opening speech. Generalities, carefully dodging details and info: Opening speech devcon
    What do you expect from a company whose vp of developer relation doesn't have the creativity to come up with a slogan of his ow,n albeit stealing it from some random kid on the net.

keep calm and be bold | Tumblr
    02-07-12 07:52 AM
    I watched the Keynote from Thorsten Heins.

There was a point where a picture was taken on a 9900 and then an attempt was made to open that picture up on a bridged Playbook. It didn't work and they couldn't do it. Heins just said "I need to move on . . . "

That made me feel really nervous about whether 2.0 is really done and embarrassed for everyone involved.
    That's not a good sign... In addition to messages from RIM like "os 2 isn't finished and still being worked on" (paraphrasing) it does demand concern at this point about OS 2's future within February. At this point devcon europe isn't going to una** any info about it I think so we r back to watching day to day to see if RIM meets their deadline or history is once again repeated.
    02-07-12 08:12 AM
    I was pretty dissapointed by the whole opening. It was most amusing listening to Thorsten talking about how easy and thoughtless the whole UI was as the other VP struggled to get a picture taken on the BB to show up on the PB.

Was there anything new there though? Cascades and Qt that seemed to be the big developer parts of the talk have both been announced before. The rest of the thrust was on things like telling developers how much money they were making and felt like a bit of a triage to try and make sure that developers kept with RIM rather than bringing more into the fold.

The progress is in the right direction but I just get the feeling that the competition is already there or moving faster. RIM desperately need to speed up their execution.
    02-07-12 08:43 AM
    I was pretty dissapointed by the whole opening. It was most amusing listening to Thorsten talking about how easy and thoughtless the whole UI was as the other VP struggled to get a picture taken on the BB to show up on the PB.

Was there anything new there though? Cascades and Qt that seemed to be the big developer parts of the talk have both been announced before. The rest of the thrust was on things like telling developers how much money they were making and felt like a bit of a triage to try and make sure that developers kept with RIM rather than bringing more into the fold.

The progress is in the right direction but I just get the feeling that the competition is already there or moving faster. RIM desperately need to speed up their execution.
    Well with week #1 of February in the can we still have 3 full weeks left and I am hoping that OS 2 is this close --> <-- to a final product and all they are doing now is polishing it until an opportune time to announce or release it. I am not sure there is enough historical examples of a huge release right at a convention to warrant relying too much on it but we can hold out hope I guess.

I did dig enough to come up with a positive side to this basically newsless event... and that is that Thorsten is a fresh face and at least a pleasant change from the empty, mindless waste of oxygen posed by the speeches from Dumb and Dumber. Perhaps that is a thing of the past or will be at less frequent intervals now.
    02-07-12 08:54 AM
    Well with week #1 of February in the can we still have 3 full weeks left and I am hoping that OS 2 is this close --> <-- to a final product and all they are doing now is polishing it until an opportune time to announce or release it. I am not sure there is enough historical examples of a huge release right at a convention to warrant relying too much on it but we can hold out hope I guess.

I did dig enough to come up with a positive side to this basically newsless event... and that is that Thorsten is a fresh face and at least a pleasant change from the empty, mindless waste of oxygen posed by the speeches from Dumb and Dumber. Perhaps that is a thing of the past or will be at less frequent intervals now.
    I guess I just had higher expectations. After all the developer OS2.0 preview hasn't really changed a lot in the last few months - email was shown off already at CES - the whole project has been delayed 3 months I just assumed there was something more to come out.

The optimist in me says that they'll announce more at MWC but the realist says this is it and that BB10 phones in 2012 is pushing it.
    02-07-12 09:02 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD