Hi foks!

Is there any way to delete Bing Maps from my PlayBook? It's pretty useless here in Europe, so now it's just a waste of storage capacity.
    lgx22 and anon(3641385) like this.
    10-30-11 10:32 AM
    You can try. Certain apps are tied to the pb and if you delete them, you will get a notice of an OS update. But that update merely restores some deleted "base" app.

To Delete apps, on the main icon screen, press and hold on ANY icon. They will all blink and there will be an small "trash can" icon. Tap it and confirm the deletion. If Bing is required it will be back!

Good luck.
    10-30-11 11:32 AM
    Thanks for the tip!
    Unfortunately there's no trash can icon under Bing Maps (as well as under certain pre-installed apps). It's pretty confusing, because with this, Bing Maps is a pure bloatware...
    10-30-11 12:41 PM
    Maybe via Desktop Manager? Haven't looked for PB but I know I can delete apps from my phone.
    10-30-11 12:46 PM
    Maybe via Desktop Manager? Haven't looked for PB but I know I can delete apps from my phone.
    Nope, no luck with Desktop Manager or App Loader...
    10-30-11 01:20 PM
    Looks like you are stuck with it. I agree with you. As a Microsoft fan, I do not like Bing. I especially do not like Microsoft forcing people to use Bing Maps and Bing search. Both of these, imo, are far inferior to their Google couterparts.

I really wish that Microsoft would just admit that they cannot beat everybody at every product and just give up on Bing. It's good money after bad.

I am very sorry that you could not remove Bing. It is one more, albeit small, negative for the PlayBook which I have still not bought.
    10-30-11 01:38 PM
    I think we need to remove Bing for OS 2.0
    Makes sense?
    anon(3641385) likes this.
    10-30-11 05:10 PM
    I think we need to remove Bing for OS 2.0
    Makes sense?
    For sure, those who like and want Bing can select it and download it. Those who do not can use any other product they want that runs on the PlayBook.
    10-30-11 05:15 PM
    If we didn't know better you'd think that the pb was offered by Verizon where you are really stuck with bing!
    10-30-11 05:33 PM
    Hi foks!

Is there any way to delete Bing Maps from my PlayBook? It's pretty useless here in Europe, so now it's just a waste of storage capacity.
    it's pretty useless in Canada too. Hasn't worked for me since Blackberry Playbook day 1
    10-31-11 12:17 AM
    Hi Renwick,
    I'm going to Europe in April... can you expand a bit more on the "useless" issue? Is it Bing or Playbook? Many thanks.
    01-02-12 07:26 PM
    It's definitely the Bing Maps. Funny I had simply ignored this app and had no idea that one couldn't delete it! Now the fact that I can't delete it bugs me! LOL

However the Playbook is anything but useless!
    01-02-12 07:39 PM
    Is it Verizon or RIM?

On my Verizon BB 8530, Bing is the only possible Default Search Provider---so when I couldn't delete Bing Maps from my PB---and hearing that OS2 will prohibit any android interface with Google Maps---I just figured RIM had made yet another exclusive deal with the Microsoft devil.
    01-02-12 08:31 PM
    Guys, I did delete it. Unfortunately, don't remember how. I'm pretty sure it was just by holding it and dragging it to the trash can. I don't recall doing anything different.
    01-02-12 09:21 PM
    Is it Verizon or RIM?

On my Verizon BB 8530, Bing is the only possible Default Search Provider---so when I couldn't delete Bing Maps from my PB---and hearing that OS2 will prohibit any android interface with Google Maps---I just figured RIM had made yet another exclusive deal with the Microsoft devil.
    I think I read that Verizon got a cool 3/4 of a BILLION, yes with a B for making Bing the default on their phones. Actually, I think you can change it to wiki or dictionary.com but NOT google.
    01-02-12 09:26 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD