Eons ago in digital time there was the C-64 and then the wondrous Amiga. It had the Atari brilliance of dedicated chips for graphics and IO and an OS with threaded multi-tasking. Full color, great sound, mouse, etc. while the PC was blinking its white cursor at you on its empty black screen waiting for you with that gorgeous IBM keyboard-- waiting, waiting...

The Amiga died. It had no major software, except Word Perfect. It had no identity. It could have had Lotus 1-2-3 but Commodore would not send Lotus the 50 computers and the million dollars Lotus demanded (I got this from a friend who worked at Lotus). So the Amiga was sold as a technological wonder, which it was, with a picture on the box of a child using it. It seems that management went after the home market and ONLY that market, insofar as it did any marketing at all.

When Commodore died, it was acquired by Gateway, and the faithful cheered. But nothing came of that and eventually a company called Amiga One emerged, promising a new birth of the Amiga using, ready?, a fantastic OS called QNX. Yes, for a year or longer the Amiga faithful (including yours truly) waited with hope for a change in the fortunes of the beloved Amiga. QNX sounded awesome. But naught came of that. The Amiga insiders were too busy destroying each other in court.

Then came the Playbook. From my perspective it was great: a direct, sorta, connection to the Amiga, via QNX. (I know, I know. But this is Amiga spirit we are talking here.) Moreover, one could have great hardware and a great user experience once again (video, sound, etc.) and real multi-tasking, and--yes--an uncomprehending press that would trounce the device relentlessly, and the bitter experience of watching the taunters from the dark side increase and prosper.

I did not anticipate getting a parent company similar to Commodore. Commodore went through management shake-ups, too. (When Apple got a Coke exec, they turned to Pepsi, and got someone they thought to be rid of rather soon, and rightly, at a cost of nearly all their treasure. Not good.) They could never gain shelf space and there was no robust online shopping then. They did not advertise effectively. They did have a cult following.

The general impression is of being between a rock and a hard place while spiraling down...

Broken promises ("You will be able to use Kindle" but but but me no buts) litter the way...

Update: I wrote this before I knew that RIM was not going to ban sideloading and remove what I use the PB for a lot: Kindle. I was in a glum mood... And the idea that the PC sold because it was open is an old one and still not convincing. I think it was IBM inertia. Ipad has it now, but who knows the future....
    Last edited by jventola; 04-11-12 at 05:55 PM. Reason: update
    kob1 likes this.
    04-11-12 03:46 PM
    Eons ago in digital time there was the C-64 and then the wondrous Amiga. It had the Atari brilliance of dedicated chips for graphics and IO and an OS with threaded multi-tasking. Full color, great sound, mouse, etc. while the PC was blinking its white cursor at you on its empty black screen waiting for you with that gorgeous IBM keyboard-- waiting, waiting...

The Amiga died. It had no major software, except Word Perfect. It had no identity. It could have had Lotus 1-2-3 but Commodore would not send Lotus the 50 computers and the million dollars Lotus demanded (I got this from a friend who worked at Lotus). So the Amiga was sold as a technological wonder, which it was, with a picture on the box of a child using it. It seems that management went after the home market and ONLY that market, insofar as it did any marketing at all.

When Commodore died, it was acquired by Gateway, and the faithful cheered. But nothing came of that and eventually a company called Amiga One emerged, promising a new birth of the Amiga using, ready?, a fantastic OS called QNX. Yes, for a year or longer the Amiga faithful (including yours truly) waited with hope for a change in the fortunes of the beloved Amiga. QNX sounded awesome. But naught came of that. The Amiga insiders were too busy destroying each other in court.

Then came the Playbook. From my perspective it was great: a direct, sorta, connection to the Amiga, via QNX. (I know, I know. But this is Amiga spirit we are talking here.) Moreover, one could have great hardware and a great user experience once again (video, sound, etc.) and real multi-tasking, and--yes--an uncomprehending press that would trounce the device relentlessly, and the bitter experience of watching the taunters from the dark side increase and prosper.

I did not anticipate getting a parent company similar to Commodore. Commodore went through management shake-ups, too. (When Apple got a Coke exec, they turned to Pepsi, and got someone they thought to be rid of rather soon, and rightly, at a cost of nearly all their treasure. Not good.) They could never gain shelf space and there was no robust online shopping then. They did not advertise effectively. They did have a cult following.

The general impression is of being between a rock and a hard place while spiraling down...

Broken promises ("You will be able to use Kindle" but but but me no buts) litter the way...
    bad comparison. atari and commodore got killed by pc because they were closed down systems. pc were sold barebone, for less money and with many more options. You could do whatever you want with it [actually still can]. there is no correlation between the two.
    04-11-12 03:59 PM
    Let's hope Rim can Rock This! ;-)

We have Thor!!! Nuff said.
    04-11-12 04:09 PM
    Few things... First is that Amiga ditched QNX in favor of something different. BlackBerry has bought QNX outright and has started utilizing the OS in the PlayBook and as a foundation for OS 10. They are not looking at other options and in fact have added their own BB OS developers to the QNX team and even bought other companies to compliment the QNX team. QNX is the new BlackBerry OS. At this time PlayBook has sold over 500,000 units and still going strong. As of Q4 they sold 11.1 million units between phones and tablets all this while continuing development of OS 10. Subscriber base grew by 2 million with over 77 million subscribers (information from Crackberry). It appears they are growing outside the USA. This is hardly AmigaQNX. It should also be noted that Apple, now trading at over $600 a share, once came close to bankruptcy and has obviously thru a change in product strategy seen a drastic increase of customers.
    04-11-12 04:39 PM
    bad comparison. atari and commodore got killed by pc because they were closed down systems. pc were sold barebone, for less money and with many more options. You could do whatever you want with it [actually still can]. there is no correlation between the two.
    This is and app availability is why Windows pc's sold so much better than anything else including Mac. Try finding good games for older Macs...
    04-11-12 04:43 PM
    This is and app availability is why Windows pc's sold so much better than anything else including Mac. Try finding good games for older Macs...
    Tell me about it; do you know what I have to go through just to sign up on to this forum; oh, I'm using an Apple IIc with the separate matching 1200 baud modem with a Bell rotary dial phone.
    04-11-12 05:09 PM
    Tell me about it; do you know what I have to go through just to sign up on to this forum; oh, I'm using an Apple IIc with the separate matching 1200 baud modem with a Bell rotary dial phone.
    I loved the original Mac, but, lack of games killed it for me.
    04-11-12 05:13 PM
    I have a Remington manual typewriter and a flock of carrier pigeons available if you would like to upgrade. On second thought the manual typewriter and carrier pigeons are too much of an upgrade for you to handle.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    04-11-12 05:40 PM
    Eons ago...
    Eons ago, QNX was used in Canadian high schools PC's in the mid 80's --- QNX was smart and got out of the PC market long ago.

Amiga went through a million bankruptcies --- and all people got was just a name. I could have bought the company for $10 for the name Amiga. It would be stupid for you to be faithful to a company that has zero assets. That Amiga with zero asset licensed QNX kernel to make a PC --- but didn't even have the money to pay QNX.
    04-11-12 05:53 PM
    Thanks for the trip down memory lane for those of us who lived that era!
    04-11-12 06:26 PM
    I thought I was the crazy one that thought about RIM and Commodore Amiga having similarities. Yes both did touch QNX in some form, where the other tried to take it, the other succeeded with it. I'm a new Blackberry user and I used to be an Amiga user many years back until I left the scene.

If you look at the UI of the Blackberry Playbook or even the current OS7, the icon grid is incased in a window which you can expand. Amiga OS also had this look, a desktop which is really a Windowed UI against a larger desktop.
    Very similar. Both RIM and Amiga had this multitasking kernel.

When I saw the Z10 Super Bowl commercial, it brought back memories of the old Amiga TV Spots showing technical capabilities of hardware and software. Both companies later on were never popular in US, but were more popular in Brazil, UK, and other parts of globe.

I'm getting a Playbook soon, If I don't get an unlocked Z10 (I doubt the US will sell unlocked Z10s) My local electronics store don't seem to carry a Z10 in Staten Island NY. Most NYers use iPhone here. To me, I've never touched a Z10. The Playbook is the closest I will get to a QNX mobile device that the Amiga user had only dreamed of. I always wanted an Amiga like Mobile device, Blackberry is closest to that feeling esp. QNX.
    03-25-13 10:02 PM
    Let's hope Rim can Rock This! ;-)

We have Thor!!! Nuff said.
    Oh yeah a CEO who takes BB core assets BIS and security and gives a touchscreen phone and one with a keyboard, QNX was a building block and now the two bricks underneath are removed....

Instead of appeasing carriers over RIM access server costs, they should overhaul them (if opera can do.compression fast why can't BB?) and invest in speed, speed, security and compression no other touchscreen mobile gives. Fast international secure Internet worldwide and mobile, It's a marketing and consumers dream. Easily double the BB fee or more. Run the company as a product and Internet service provider, you even wholesale the Internet service provider for countries and regions or international subscriptions.

Of course BB could just carry on dumping is core assets instead of building them until Apple, Microsoft etc buy the assets from the administrator in a few years
    Last edited by Orange UK; 03-26-13 at 12:34 PM.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    03-26-13 12:21 PM
    Oh yeah a CEO who takes BB core assets BIS and security and gives a touchscreen phone and one with a keyboard, QNX was a building block and now the two bricks underneath are removed....

Instead of appeasing carriers over RIM access server costs, they should overhaul them (if opera can do.compression fast why can't BB?) and invest in speed, speed, security and compression no other touchscreen mobile gives. Fast international secure Internet worldwide and mobile, It's a marketing and consumers dream. Easily double the BB fee or more. Run the company as a product and Internet service provider, you even wholesale the Internet service provider for countries and regions or international subscriptions.

Of course BB could just carry on dumping is core assets instead of building them until Apple, Microsoft etc buy the assets from the administrator in a few years
    WOW!!!!!! Brother, wow is all I can say! You are far more intelligent than I look!
    03-26-13 02:30 PM
    I`ve been thinking the same for a while, new to Playbook, new nothing about Blackberry fan base before this. The RIM / Amiga comparisons ring true Amiga was a pioneer in computing, but rested on its laurels not investing in research in motion...pun.
    Windows PC attack of the clones dominated offices / colleges, Uni`s, and took over the home when you could use PC`s to play games. Commodore/Amiga through dreadful marketing/dated models ran out of money, went bankrupt, though the Amiga fan base through internet sites/conventions bigged up a platform which was dead and buried. Wanabee owners bought the Amiga name numerous times, but re-launches of the name crashed due to no serious financial backing. Licensing rights means Amiga games, Commodore USA LLC carries on as a cottage industry. Thats the Amiga story.

Apple does not crush Blackberry, while it fights for dominance with Windows, Android, as it is know one size fits all does not apply. People want different mobile computing experiences. Thornston and his team managed to get Blackberry 10/hardware on the market in the nick of time while blackberry still has coppers in the bank to sell it to the world, not just Canada.
    03-26-13 05:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD