There's a lot of anger at BlackBerry here and everywhere you find Playbook owners over the fact that the company has apparently abandoned Playbook owners and moved on to greater things. I was one of those people who paid full price for the Playbook shortly after its release and kept waiting for that one last update that would make it really sizzle.

So I feel everyone's pain.

However...

I've been shopping around for a tablet to replace my now-useless Playbook (everyone knows that, right?), and I've finally decided that the best tablet on the market for me is...the BlackBerry Playbook. Seriously.

Allow me to explain. I've been using an iPad 3 and a Playbook for about the last year and have concluded that the 7 inch form factor is definitely the one for me. I also prefer the 16X9 aspect ratio.

I'd like to have more utility than the Playbook in the way of app accessibility, but I really don't like the "flow" of iOS (okay, it drives me crazy), plus...aspect ratio. Windows tabs ... meh, except for Windows 8 Pro, which I find very exciting. However, I don't see that working in a 7 inch form factor.

So we're down to the Android tabs. Let's face it, they are all pretty much the same. I could get any of them and finally have Netflix, Hulu Plus, Audible, and Kindle. But...and this goes for all of them...I'd have to either add another device to my wireless plan or put my smartphone into hotspot mode whenever I wanted to use the tablet. Not convenient. I'd lose the ability to open an email on my phone and then send the attachment over to my tablet, a feature of BlackBerry Bridge that I think was a stroke of genius and for which the company gets far too little credit from all the people in the press who like to throw around the term "ecosystem." And if I want to set up my work email account on the tablet, I'd have to lock the entire tablet with a password, and then once the kids unlocked it to start playing games, they would also have access to my work email, contacts, documents, and so on. I honestly don't trust those crumb-grabbers and suspect they'd get me fired if they could.

So, my shopping is done. I'm not going to buy anything. Now, my situation is not everyone's, but it is pretty remarkable that a device I bought 2 years ago is still, for me at least, a better fit for my needs than anything a competitor is offering today. And over those two years, I've gotten a lot of utility out of it. Not as much as I wanted to, but nevertheless a lot.

Given all the anger vented at BlackBerry by so many, including me, over the company's treatment of Playbook owners, I thought I would share this. Take a deep breath.

Haters, the comment area is found below.

Posted via CB10
    08-07-13 09:23 PM
    If the bridge is important to you then you are correct, a BBOS 7 device and PlayBook is a great combo. For me I like a standalone tablet so android tabs work fine and I dont mine hotspot when i need to.
    08-07-13 09:26 PM
    Yes, the Press and Thor both should revisit the PB vis a vis Bridge. Misunderstood, mis-sold and MISSED in bb10 for the phones.
    08-07-13 10:15 PM
    Great post! I don't feel any need to get another tablet as the playbook still serves my needs perfectly. I do miss the fully functional bridge a little (I have a Z10) but other than that I can't see myself with another tab. I have used an ipad for work and hated it. It seemed so counterintuitive after using the playbook.

I hope that Blackberry does continue in the tablet space in some form, or that they at least give us back the bridge. Very underrated feature.
    08-07-13 10:57 PM
    Excellent post OP.

I use my PlayBook every day at work and home, plus it's my alarm clock.

Because it runs flash I can remote into online embedded devices via a secure site and help solve client issues from anywhere there is WiFi access.

Why should I look at another tablet?
    Vorkosigan and MobileZen like this.
    08-08-13 12:12 AM
    I see my next table from PB...... will also be a PB. I'll bring it with me all the times:bus; home, offfice; toilet =))
    I have a PC at home running 24/7 and with Remote Desktop app on PB, I can remote it whenever I want regardless of my PB is tethering with 9900 or connected to wifi or mobile hotspot. I also have Streaming Media sever running at my PC, so, whether i get home, just connect PB to wifi and plug in a headset and enjoy my collection of HD movies or check my workmail pushed on PB. On the way to work, I have tons of media content to kill time downloaded from Youtube through Tubemate app. I just can't imagine myself with any other tablets.
    Above all, so many benefits for so little money. Honestly, BB10 or not on PB now with me is not really important
    Should I buy another 64GB PB in advance cause i'm afraid PB gonna be extinct soon?
    AladarMezga likes this.
    08-08-13 12:46 AM
    I love my Galaxy Tab 3 8.0. This is my first Android device. Makes me realize how my PB is absolute garbage compared to the Tab in terms of performance and utility.

Posted via CB10 on my Black Z10.
    08-08-13 06:47 AM
    There's no need to defend the playbook. Just don't defend the knuckle heads at BB. We know it's a great device that has a much greater potential. That's why we are still here talking about it. It's very difficult to let go of a great device that has so much potential. It's even more heart breaking to see the maker feel so indifferent towards it's own invention.
    08-08-13 06:55 AM
    There's no need to defend the playbook. Just don't defend the knuckle heads at BB. We know it's a great device that has a much greater potential. That's why we are still here talking about it. It's very difficult to let go of a great device that has so much potential. It's even more heart breaking to see the maker feel so indifferent towards it's own invention.
    Ear ear! I concede with you cat?

Posted via CB10
    08-08-13 06:58 AM
    I don't think the PB is " usless", it still functions as what we have at this time, still hits the web, media player, couch cruising, HDMI out port (Only windows tabs have it at this time), BRIDGE< BRIDGE and BRIDGE (with an OS 7 device), still guides me through when I am driving through an area I am not familiar with Navigation) etc. My second PB64 is my media server to my tv and audio system (with a gateweay), work GREAT

It's not usless, just orphaned. I'll run this combo 9850/PB64 until one of them dies, right now rock solid. If they return Bridge to it's former glory with BB10, THEN a Z10 is in my future, otherwise, I just sit back and see what is to come.

Right now I am working on getting the .bar file for the Chromecast plug in to run Amazon Prime from PB to Chromecast/TV. I have the file and going to work on that this weekend, It's close.

I have it running from my PC to the Chromecast (just have to disable Silverlight) and it works great.
    C
    dphjeff, FF22, axllebeer and 2 others like this.
    08-08-13 10:23 AM
    I love my Galaxy Tab 3 8.0. This is my first Android device. Makes me realize how my PB is absolute garbage compared to the Tab in terms of performance and utility.

Posted via CB10 on my Black Z10.
    Well, I used Android since 2010 on 50% of my phones (I always carry two) and some tablets.
    Considered recently to purchase one of new 7-8" devices...Studied specs, played with them in shops, borrowed some from friends for few hours...paid most attention to Samsung's products because I love handwriting. And I'm back to Playbook. I just see no reason to invest in Android until my PB is running well.

P.S. Regarding Tab 3 8.0... Powerful, excellent screen, many media formats supported, average battery, poor speakers. And design is just not for me.
    08-08-13 11:52 AM
    I don't think the PB is " usless", it still functions as what we have at this time, still hits the web, media player, couch cruising, HDMI out port (Only windows tabs have it at this time), BRIDGE< BRIDGE and BRIDGE (with an OS 7 device), still guides me through when I am driving through an area I am not familiar with Navigation) etc. My second PB64 is my media server to my tv and audio system (with a gateweay), work GREAT

It's not usless, just orphaned. I'll run this combo 9850/PB64 until one of them dies, right now rock solid. If they return Bridge to it's former glory with BB10, THEN a Z10 is in my future, otherwise, I just sit back and see what is to come.

Right now I am working on getting the .bar file for the Chromecast plug in to run Amazon Prime from PB to Chromecast/TV. I have the file and going to work on that this weekend, It's close.

I have it running from my PC to the Chromecast (just have to disable Silverlight) and it works great.
    C
    I'll be doing just that when my Chromecast is parolled by Customs and allowed to carry on it's merry way to the post man. (Thanks again Carl).

In the meantime, I bought my playbooks a new stable mate, (that's a motorcyling term) and can't wait to use it with both the playbook and the chromecast. Outdoor theater by the pool.

Compact 85-Lumen Pocket Projector Lets You Take the Big Screen with You
    08-08-13 12:01 PM
    I hope that Blackberry does continue in the tablet space in some form, or that they at least give us back the bridge. Very underrated feature.
    For my specific use-case BlackBerry Bridge was the single most important feature of the BlackBerry PlayBook and the previous generation of BlackBerry smartphones (BBOS 5/6/7). Thorsten made a fatal error by failing to implement full functionality of BlackBerry Bridge for BlackBerry 10 smartphones when paired with a BlackBerry PlayBook (OS 2).
    dphjeff, jonce2012, fanisk and 2 others like this.
    08-08-13 10:05 PM
    I'll be doing just that when my Chromecast is parolled by Customs and allowed to carry on it's merry way to the post man. (Thanks again Carl).

In the meantime, I bought my playbooks a new stable mate, (that's a motorcyling term) and can't wait to use it with both the playbook and the chromecast. Outdoor theater by the pool.

Compact 85-Lumen Pocket Projector Lets You Take the Big Screen with You
    That unit looks trick. (an "old" motorcycling/dirtbiking term). Might have to put that on my "May need" list.

But I have to get what I have working first. I go home this day, and play tomorrow with this thing they call a Chromecast...........

Works with Amazon Prime (must disable Silverlight YAY!), and going to try to sideload the Chromcast app to PB and will let all of you know how it goes....
    sad_old_man likes this.
    08-09-13 08:34 AM
    I bought my playbook about a year ago and still use it daily my only problem is with the browser it is frustrating to click on a link and nothing happens its like working in the background never had any other problem except a few browser crashes avery now and then I have the PS and NDS installed and work fine I play tekken and street fighter, my favorite game is modern combat and play it everytime I get a chance. My next tablet will be...don't know yet...one that fits my purpose I guess.
    08-09-13 12:02 PM
    Very well said. We are not HATERS, infact we are PlayBook lovers. We know it has great potential that is why we are pissed of with BlackBerry on their lies. Playbook can't run BB10 because of h/w limitations is the worst lie ever! BB will learn lesson in a hard way for pissing of loyal users.

WeAreNotAlone and qwerty4ever like this.
    08-09-13 12:11 PM
    I too still enjoy my PB since the day I bought it home, of course like many others I do miss the full functionality of the bridge but it still works with my Z10 for things like the Web and accessing documents. It kinda upsets me lately I have noticed since BB pretty much dished the PB and every time I turn around I see ads with Samsung phone and tablet paired. Like they are saying come on over we will take better care of you. But I have stayed strong and don't feel the need for anything different than my PB/Z10 combo. Other than the thought of adding a Win8 tablet to match my desktop and laptop I will hold on to my PB until the day it no longer functions. I am on the road alot and the both are always by my side, I take my laptop out on occasion to update and wipe the dust off :-)
    Carl Estes likes this.
    08-09-13 02:33 PM
    That unit looks trick. (an "old" motorcycling/dirtbiking term). Might have to put that on my "May need" list.

But I have to get what I have working first. I go home this day, and play tomorrow with this thing they call a Chromecast...........

Works with Amazon Prime (must disable Silverlight YAY!), and going to try to sideload the Chromcast app to PB and will let all of you know how it goes....
    Dont let the baby tempt you to the dark side! Hes trying to get you off topic!
    Cynycl and Carl Estes like this.
    08-09-13 03:08 PM
    Anybody that smokes a stogie can't be all that bad.............Now, if he enjoys a couple fingers of single malt,

I didn't supply it to the kid..............

C
    Cynycl likes this.
    08-09-13 03:25 PM
    the part that always strikes me with the playbook, and the bridge, is how the original vision was lost. I thought it was to have access to your phone's data without actually storing it on the device. This was the USP of the playbook, and somewhere along the line, someone decided that it wasn't necessary to carry forward this excellent feature into the BB10 series. Its as if they completely missed the point of what made the bridge great, and just thought 'oh well we have those apps now so who needs it'. Dumb. My Q10 is in for a repair for the next 2 weeks, and I'm back to my old bb9900, and it has had me drag out my playbook and enjoy the benefit of the bridge while my phone is upstairs charging and I don't have to miss all my text messages and BBM's. That is what we need back really. Access to the phone's internet connection is largely pointless as it is limited access anyway - the hotspot has full tcp access and is far superior. Access to the files in the memory or sd card is about all that makes the new v3 bridge tolerable. Such a shame. I have no problem with OS 2.0 in truth, I would just like my bridge restored to its former glory .
    08-09-13 03:26 PM
    I hear that! I would love to switch to BB10, but with a fully functional bridge on OS7 and other great qualities of the PB, I'm content to wait it out as well.

C
    08-09-13 03:38 PM
    a long time ago a developer wrote an alternative bridge program when bridge was broken. Surely this means that somewhere someone must have the ability to do something similar for BB10. A 3rd party app would more than satisfy me in the absence of anything official - I keep this hope in my heart.....
    08-09-13 03:54 PM
    You would know.
    Cynycl likes this.
    08-09-13 06:34 PM
    I'm starting to get the feeling that you all talk about me when I'm passed out.....er I mean napping
    08-09-13 06:58 PM
    Your place in the herd is becoming precarious
    FF22 likes this.
    08-09-13 07:09 PM
37 12