....One said something like "that thing looks great its the perfect size". I then told him it was a blackberry and he proceeded to tell me he was actually in a rush to a business meeting and didnt have time to look at it anymore.
    That's unfortunate. Marketing and brand awareness really are the key here. Many people see RIM as a dying company so there's a negative stigma attached to them right now, I'm hoping they can bounce back the way Apple did. (Realistically in opinion and bigger sales, not stock which is nearly unmatchable).

I do think at the price it was released at it was a failure though, I only bought mine recently when RIM was losing money on them and stores were clearing out stock. For the current price with the hardware you get it's amazing, but it's too late to compete with the other tablets now (unless they try again with a new model). After all of the updates it turned into a really solid tablet and I'm looking forward to BB10. Having said that, the price of the PB now compared to the iPad Mini is a steal, especially considering all it can do.
    12-04-12 09:23 AM
    I also have my PB with me most of the time. And when using it in Starbucks and elsewhere, there are lots of questions and glances. I always take a moment to point out it is a blackberry and mention a couple of the things it does so well, like the browser, the hdmi output, the quick multi-tasking with the gestures. Most people are genuinely impressed and quite a few have said they are thinking of getting one.

But as others have pointed out above, word of mouth can only go so far. RIM must pull out all the stops for their BB10 marketing program. I just hope they avoid the dorky style of ads from their past... who remembers the spinning teacups with men in suits in them???

I remember this very cool ad for the iPad which showed a newspaper page in portrait mode, featuring a video embedded on the page with the space shuttle lifting off, while the deep voice-over narrator grandly intones "today we read the news like this...". What really irked me was that the PB could view video on any newspaper website like nytimes.com and globeandmail.com with no problem from PB OS version 1.0, AND the iPad actually couldn't because of flash. So what the ad was actually showing was an app. I'm not claiming false advertising... that's not my point. I'm saying that is an example of brilliant marketing. RIM needs to poach some of your those guys!
    12-04-12 11:21 AM
    In MX many people wanted the PB when it first arrived, but the prices were really high, and some people like me and my father bought on US which was a really nice option ... the same is with apple products and others ...

I carry mi PB to office some days and people look at me but no one make the question ... I guess is too obvious because of my BB next to the PB ... But I love she, I do not care what other people say.
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-04-12 04:42 PM
    I live in the U. S and every time someone asks what my tablet is and I say a BlackBerry, they look confused. Every time! No one has heard of it because there was never any marketing for the PlayBook here in the U.S. Even folks at best buy have told me that BlackBerry went Bankrupt.

BlackBerry10 can be awesome but they have to market it. They have too or people will just continue to buy Gs3 and I toys.
    Research In Motion should be marketing BlackBerry OS 10 throughout December and January using an approach oft employed for new movie releases which are a few months away. Create a series of short 30-45 second advertisements for television and YouTube with a compelling story with built-in cliffhangers. People need exposure to product advertising before the idea to buy the product even forms in their minds. CMO Boulben needs to get the marketing team earning their salaries.
    dougs torch and PatrickMJS like this.
    12-04-12 04:54 PM
    The more i read all of these responses, the more pissed off i get at the marketing salary pigs...errr...i mean "team." Especially as a shareholder!
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    12-04-12 10:55 PM
    The more i read all of these responses, the more pissed off i get at the marketing salary pigs...errr...i mean "team." Especially as a shareholder!
    As a RIMM shareholder perhaps it is time to put your thoughts, minus any profanity or juvenile language, into the form of a well-drafted letter to RIM CEO Thorsten Heins and postal mail it to Waterloo, Ontario, Canada. Frank Boulben and his team have been on the payroll for months with nary anything to show for the expense; make no mistake marketing is a cost centre not a profit centre, although when executing properly the marketing team influences sales.
    12-05-12 09:38 AM
31 12