Hi,

Can anyone recommend (from 1st hand experience) a decent video player app (for local files, more than cloudy stuff) for the PlayBook. The killer feature I'm looking for is the ability to remember where it got to in any given movie between plays. The built in player is ok, but I start watching a film, then pause it, and then accidentally or deliberately close the app. Next time I start playing the same film, it starts from the beginning again, and I have to try and get back to wherever I was... (which is annoying!)

Cheers,

Chris.

PS - I'm a bit of a pikey, so if it is a free app, so much the better...
    06-11-13 11:21 AM
    Kalemsoft seems to get lots of positive praise.

Downside appears to be that (I very much suspect depending on what you're playing) you may get less battery life, from reading some comments.

Truth be told, I prefer the stock one - yes, I'd like bookmarks / resume, but it's not a dealbreaker - I either make a mental note, or make sure I watch something completely. Stock video codec support is very good, audio codecs are well handled, too - it's the omission of AC3 audio that seems to get peoples' panties in a wad, and out of ignorance makes them blame the PlayBook's native video support.
    Last edited by Wongsky; 06-11-13 at 11:49 AM.
    Lendo and ChrisMay like this.
    06-11-13 11:37 AM
    Kalemsoft is more pricy than many pb apps but I think it is worth it. It does keep bookmarks and RESUMES. It can play a folder full of videos (like a video playlist). The developer(s) are engaged with the community in their thread in the app subforum.
    06-11-13 11:38 AM
    mVideo Player has an auto resume feature (must be enabled in settings), and a few other features that the stock player lacks. It's android though and must be sideloaded, but it's free. It can also be used for streaming cloudy stuff, plus streaming over LAN.
    ChrisMay likes this.
    06-11-13 12:12 PM
    mVideo Player has an auto resume feature (must be enabled in settings), and a few other features that the stock player lacks. It's android though and must be sideloaded, but it's free. It can also be used for streaming cloudy stuff, plus streaming over LAN.
    mVideo Player downloaded and sideloaded... Perfect. Just what I wanted. Thanks very much...
    Remembers my position, which is what I great. I also like the screen swipey finger scan feature.

Kalemsoft Media Player looks good, but I don't watch videos much, so not sure if I want to pay (though I suppose it is only a few quid...) I'll see.
    06-11-13 01:12 PM
    +1 for kalmsoft
    06-11-13 01:50 PM
    I like Kalemsoft as well, and kudos to them for recently providing an update for the PB (I figured app support had shifted to BB10 and the PB software was orphaned).
    FF22 and Lendo like this.
    06-11-13 01:55 PM
    I also think Kalemsoft media player is an excellent choice. I use it regularly and it remembers where you leave off. It has the added benefit of being able to access DLNA services on your local wifi network. As a media player you can also view photos as slide shows and listen to music files as well.
    Lendo likes this.
    06-12-13 10:45 PM
    I've got Kalemsoft on my Z10 and PB.
    06-12-13 10:49 PM
    Are you sure about that bit? I have not had time to have an indepth look, but I can't see any obvious way of accessing files outside of the Playbook's file system...?
    06-13-13 09:02 AM
    Are you sure about that bit? I have not had time to have an indepth look, but I can't see any obvious way of accessing files outside of the Playbook's file system...?
    Yes, but indirectly. If you have installed on your PB any android apps that can access Cloud services or LAN devices such as Ghost Commander (LAN only), ES File Explorer (LAN and Cloud), X-Plore (LAN and Cloud), and others, mVideo Player will appear as an option for streaming video from these sources. You must do so though one of these other apps. So, for example, if you have Ghost Commander, open Ghost, access your PC through its Windows share function, then navigate to a video file, tap it, and a dialogue will appear asking which player you want to use to stream the vid. mVideo Player will be on that list.
    ChrisMay likes this.
    06-13-13 12:33 PM
    Yes, but indirectly. If you have installed on your PB any android apps that can access Cloud services or LAN devices such as Ghost Commander (LAN only), ES File Explorer (LAN and Cloud), X-Plore (LAN and Cloud), and others, mVideo Player will appear as an option for streaming video from these sources. You must do so though one of these other apps. So, for example, if you have Ghost Commander, open Ghost, access your PC through its Windows share function, then navigate to a video file, tap it, and a dialogue will appear asking which player you want to use to stream the vid. mVideo Player will be on that list.
    It is amazing that Android apps and sideloaded apps have more smarts than Native pb apps. They can allow one to use non-native alternates to open docs and files.
    SifJar likes this.
    06-13-13 02:31 PM