Hi there - I love my PB but the lack of decent, usable apps is somewhat irritating. Whilst I know people like games, I'm afraid I don't want games, I couldn't care less about Angry Birds, Cut the Rope, driving games, shoot-em-ups, fart sounds and bubble-wrap poppers. I don't want to sideload, mess about, root or Dingleberry my PB. I'm happy to click on an app, pay for it, install it and make use of it.

However, I would like to check the UK train times (live info), I would like bus times for my local area, I would like the local roads live updates etc, etc, etc. Put simply, some useful, useable apps would make the PB the tablet experience it should/could be.

Any suggestions for useful apps would be appreciated.

Remember - I love my PB ...... just want to make the most of a superb device.
    02-26-12 04:52 AM
    your best bet would be to bookmark webpages which provide such services. I guess they run like apps since all it takes is a click. and maybe an additional one to open the browser.
    fbloise likes this.
    02-26-12 05:05 AM
    I have been bookmarking the pages I use to the homescreen instead. It's not a good solution, but it kind of works. I then cycle through all the tabs in the browser to keep up.
    02-26-12 05:43 AM
    There is an app called Journey Pro which shows the tube map, line statuses, journey planner and live departure times

I am personally trying to find one similar for buses but cannot

There are a few good ones for Android but cannot find the .apk files so that I can convert them and side-load
    02-26-12 06:02 AM
    I live in NYC, there is a mass transit app, its OK, but could be better. Poynt is a good app that just tells you about everything around you that has also been around on every smartphone and tablet for awhile now.

I like the Press Reader app, it allows to read newspapers from every country all around the world. It even gives the option whether to read it as it looks as a newspaper with pictures and the format or just as the article centered like a word file.

Vevo is good app if you want to watch music videos since MTV stopped being MTV over a decade ago. Navita translator is good for translating in different languages, I know when I visit Europe, from country to country it can be a bit overwhelming with all the different languages. Yea, many people speak English, but still.
    02-26-12 06:11 AM
    Yes an app for buses would be great. I have currently got a link to the tfl site on my home screen. Works ok on the 9900 too.
    02-26-12 06:27 AM
    Thanks for the useful replies - appreciated. I don't live in London so Tube Map and TfL info is not much use for my circumstances.

My frustration has grown out of having a 'play' with a friend's iPad. I certainly don't want to start (yet another!!) PB V iPad debate but it struck me how 'mature' the apps were on the iPad, and that there is a vast range of useful ones.

I know the PB is technically a superior machine to the iPad ....... but he lack of useful apps is beginning to grate.

Again - thank you for your comments.
    emtunc likes this.
    02-26-12 06:44 AM
    Do remember... There a couple of ways to get the apps you may want... Contact the company you want an app from and make it clear for you at least there is a market for it... iF people just expect the app to magically appear .... ask yourself.... if you have such a small user base how economically is it to make one... or sell more Playbooks....

It might be an idea not to use such inflamitory language... Maybe you do find not decent apps for the playbook... but remember it is subjective.... I find lots of apps that to me are decent...... remember we all live in a Large World with differeing opinions... but they are only opininon..... not fact....
    02-26-12 06:48 AM
    Thanks for the useful replies - appreciated. I don't live in London so Tube Map and TfL info is not much use for my circumstances.

My frustration has grown out of having a 'play' with a friend's iPad. I certainly don't want to start (yet another!!) PB V iPad debate but it struck me how 'mature' the apps were on the iPad, and that there is a vast range of useful ones.

I know the PB is technically a superior machine to the iPad ....... but he lack of useful apps is beginning to grate.

I feel you. Slowly but surely my friend - patience is a virtue
    02-26-12 06:54 AM
    London Bus checker is a great app for Android, maybe FatAttitude might port the android version for playbook if We all ask.

Bus Checker

I use it in my iphone and is hands down the best bus times checker for any1 living in London.
    02-26-12 07:03 AM
    02-26-12 07:06 AM

I hear ya, I'm an Internet guy, more than an app guy myself. That's the main reason the PlayBook is my device of choice.
    2 Questions.
    What is it you are looking for in an app?
    Why did you believe the PlayBook was going to work for you in the begining?
    Last edited by Dapper37; 02-26-12 at 08:32 AM.
    02-26-12 07:07 AM
    I'm guessing your local bus company has made an app for iPad/Android, well that's their decision, nothing to do with RIM...however, my local bus company does text/email updates, so that might be the way to go.

I can also get local bus company updates on Twitter, should I be inclined, and they supply PDF versions of all the timetables, so I could have those on my playbook.

If it's a massive library of apps you want, the Playbook was never going to be the one for you. I'm happier using the internet.
    Last edited by Bluemoonjules; 02-26-12 at 08:01 AM.
    02-26-12 07:48 AM
    Poynt seems to be useful for local info....
    02-26-12 07:56 AM
    This thread begs the question Why did you purchase the Playbook in the first place?

You may not have been aware of what apps were/are available for PB but now that you know that iPad has what you're looking for, why not sell the PB and use the money towards getting an iPad?

Many of us use very functional, non-gaming apps every day but I confess I have no idea what is available in the UK. I'm in rural Canada with little access to even trains, si it's not something that's important to me personally.

Good luck!
    02-26-12 09:17 AM
    I bought/downloaded London Bus Live and it seems to be totally useless. Simply won't work. I concur with the view Blackberry seem more interested in promoting childish games to be able to say how many apps they have rather than be pushing for useful apps. All very well working around the problem using the browser but not a professional approach by BB. Pull your finger out BB and cater for mature users or we will all decide you really have failed us and be forced to move elswhere. How sad they have lost the UK GCHQ endorsement - that's going to cost them hard if they don't sort it fast.
    03-20-13 06:17 PM
    Driving me nuts, Pearl 3G and PB are a very app restricted combo, loads of apps are not available for either....
    03-20-13 08:27 PM
    Just sideload some Android apps if the app world isn't to your liking. Blackberry Playbook and BB10 Android Apps | Android APPS - BB10 Apps & Playbook Apps
    If you can turn on a computer, you can figure out how to do it.
    03-21-13 12:29 AM
    How sad they have lost the UK GCHQ endorsement - that's going to cost them hard if they don't sort it fast.
    Not true. The Guardian started that little rumour, and had to publish a retraction same day. The security analysis on the Z10 hasn't been completed yet. That's all. Here's the official word:

"Discussions with BlackBerry are ongoing about the use of the BlackBerry 10 platform in government. We have not yet performed an evaluation of the security of that platform, but we expect to be issuing Platform Guidance in the summer. This will cover a number of platforms including Blackberry 10 (and the use of 'Balance')," a government spokesperson said in an emailed statement.
    "We have a long standing security partnership with BlackBerry and this gives us confidence that the BlackBerry 10 platform is likely to represent a viable solution for UK Government," the GCHQ added.

Read more: http://www.itproportal.com/2013/03/2...#ixzz2O9VUd3Lq

Posted via CB10
    03-21-13 01:16 AM
    Just sideload some Android apps if the app world isn't to your liking. Blackberry Playbook and BB10 Android Apps | Android APPS - BB10 Apps & Playbook Apps
    If you can turn on a computer, you can figure out how to do it.
    I've no computer or wifi, im at the mercy of BB. A OS system dependent on other software and hardware when I have a BB and PB is just commercial suicide.
    03-21-13 03:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD