I have not used the Playbook's micro usb port since I got the rapid charger, which was before the OS2 upgrade. Today I plugged it into the regular charger (that came with the Playbook) but cannot get any indication that the unit is charging. I tried several different wall outlets, and since it was working fine the last time I used it, there is no reason to think the charger is the problem. Is there a Playbook software switch that I need to reset? Has anyone else experienced a non-functional usb port following the OS2 upgrade? The usb port is not damaged or physically broken as far as I can tell. Any thoughts or suggestions will be appreciated. Thanks,
    Last edited by BBburner; 03-06-12 at 12:30 PM.
    03-06-12 12:25 PM
    Have you tested to see if the charger is broken. I have heard people say flipping the blades down and back up will get it going again. Bad contact inside I guess. You could also try charging via PC to see if it's the port or charger.
    BBburner likes this.
    03-06-12 12:36 PM
    Try a Micro USB cable to a computer. That should separate a charger issue from a port issue.
    BBburner likes this.
    03-06-12 01:01 PM
    I connected the Playbook to the computer by usb cable; no sign of charging. Also did a restart and no sign of charging.
    03-06-12 01:56 PM
    There should be a separate section for all these problems because the majority never experience these alleged hardware and software problems. It has become difficult sifting through troll posts and legitimate posts since the beginning of 2012. Please moderators create a new section for hardware messages, if only to reduce the traffic on the main sections.
    03-06-12 02:17 PM
    AS stupid as this may sound, I want to eliminate the possibility that I am trying to insert the plug upside down. The usb plug could be described as having a flat side, and a curved side. When the Playbook is on is back on a flat surface with the screen facing up, the plug goes in with the flat side up, right?

One more thing, I am not a troll, I have not said anything negative about OS2 or RIM. I was just asking if there is a setting I should change.
    Last edited by BBburner; 03-06-12 at 05:51 PM.
    03-06-12 05:46 PM
    Flat side up is incorrect. Maybe the port is damaged as a result.
    BBburner likes this.
    03-06-12 06:00 PM
    The PLUG is kind of trapezoidal.

-------- (darn forum reformats to the margin)
    /_______\

Just a bit narrower at the top. The port is actually a bit more rectangular (since it can accommodate another type of plug for future use).

Someone did post a thread with good images.

The hdmi port is kind of inverted but less dramtically narrower.
    BBburner likes this.
    03-06-12 06:50 PM
    FWIW, the mini USB plug has a Blackberry logo on one side and the USB logo on the other side. The Blackberry logo goes up.
    BBburner likes this.
    03-06-12 06:56 PM
    Flat side up is incorrect. Maybe the port is damaged as a result.
    Humm, all this time I've been doing it with the flat side down.
    03-06-12 07:07 PM
    Humm, all this time I've been doing it with the flat side down.
    Good work! You have been doing it right all this time.
    03-06-12 07:33 PM
    Good work! You have been doing it right all this time.
    Bah read right past "in" DOH
    03-06-12 07:53 PM
    Geez, I had been trying to insert the usb plug upside down, which had bent the socket pins upward. I used a small flat blade screwdriver to realign the pins and now everything is OK. The regular charger is charging away just fine. I have put little stickers on the top sides of the plugs of all my micro usb cables. What a dumb thing to have done! Thanks for your help guys.
    03-06-12 08:59 PM
    How exactly did you "re align" them? it would be a great help if you could reply on this.
    01-02-13 12:47 AM
    How exactly did you "re align" them? it would be a great help if you could reply on this.
    Using a small flat screwdriver this can be done if no damage has occurred to the contacts of the little black section of the USB port. Just be very careful not to snap anything off. I've salvaged USB ports before doing this as well. Just pry ever so gently and use caution.
    01-02-13 01:06 AM
    Using a small flat screwdriver this can be done if no damage has occurred to the contacts of the little black section of the USB port. Just be very careful not to snap anything off. I've salvaged USB ports before doing this as well. Just pry ever so gently and use caution.
    Before using any METAL parts inside the usb or any port, I'd make sure that the pb is actually fully OFF. But if you can find some of the plastic pry tools people use to take apart cell phones, etc, that might be better to probe around inside the usb port. But as said, whatever, do it GENTLY. The connector is toward the bottom of the port but should not be slanted or bent, it should be level.
    01-02-13 09:49 AM
    Before using any METAL parts inside the usb or any port, I'd make sure that the pb is actually fully OFF. But if you can find some of the plastic pry tools people use to take apart cell phones, etc, that might be better to probe around inside the usb port. But as said, whatever, do it GENTLY. The connector is toward the bottom of the port but should not be slanted or bent, it should be level.
    Very true.

If you don't have any small plastic prying tools the a sturdy guitar pick can be trimmed down to fit the slot too as long as it is rigid enough to pry with. Use a thicker one for best results.
    01-02-13 10:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD