I purchased a 16GB PlayBook back on launch day. I also purchased Future Shop's extended warranty, Product Service Plan, which turns out I did end up needing it.

Sometime back in November, the camera stopped working with the typical 4003 error. Well, my 1 year warranty with RIM has long since passed, so I dropped it off to Future Shop again on December 30, 2012 to take advantage of their service.

I received a call back from the store today. It requires parts to fix, and the parts are not available. The PlayBook has now been shipped back to the store in its original state. Normally, they would replace it with a new one off the shelf, but they sold out before Christmas, and the product is now discontinued and they will not be getting more.

I was given the following options from their customer service: 1. Take it back as-is with the broken camera. 2. In-store credit toward the purchase of any other in stock tablet, or 3. refund. The store rep didn't say how much would be refunded, whether it would be the price paid, current price or something in between.

So, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I would rather like to keep a PlayBook, but don't really want to go shop for a used one. What other options do I have?
    01-16-13 03:52 PM
    Ask for a refund on service plan too. Refund, buy one on craigslist.
    01-16-13 03:57 PM
    I take the playbook back and tell future shop to refund you the useless extended warranty cost. Then send the unit to RIM as camera failures have been fixed by them out of warranty.

Good luck.
    01-16-13 03:57 PM
    I was under the impression that they had to repair or replace with an equivalent or better model (ie 32gb). I can't believe they haven't offered you that anyway.
    01-16-13 05:18 PM
    Isn't the 4003 camera error a software issue? I have the same problem, but only with the front facing camera.
    01-16-13 05:58 PM
    There are a number of Playbook's with front camera issues. Call RIM and RMA it. Because it is a known issue they may repair it even if outside warranty. If there is a cost, ask Futureshop to pay for the repair under the PSP.
    jesse_h and meetc like this.
    01-16-13 06:08 PM
    Ask for a refund on service plan too. Refund, buy one on craigslist.
    I'd rather not buy a used one for fear of the same issue happening again.
    I was under the impression that they had to repair or replace with an equivalent or better model (ie 32gb). I can't believe they haven't offered you that anyway.
    I asked. They discontinued ALL versions of the PlayBook. The 16GB was last year at some point, 32 and 64 were just recent. They offered a refund credit to purchase any other in stock tablet.
    Isn't the 4003 camera error a software issue? I have the same problem, but only with the front facing camera.
    Wouldn't need parts for a software issue. I've tried a fresh reload of the OS a few times with no results. Both the front and rear cameras are busted on mine.
    If there is a cost, ask Futureshop to pay for the repair under the PSP.
    Now there's an idea I like!
    01-16-13 06:29 PM
    Discontinued PlayBook huh? This has me thinking with RIM essentially trying to replace the laptop with BB10 maybe a new PlayBook isn't in the game plan anymore. Why use a tablet when you can dock your phone to a keyboard and monitor?
    01-16-13 06:48 PM
    Well, just got off the phone with RIM, they gave me a ticket under the 90 day complimentary service even though its almost 2 years old by now. FedEx box is on the way. I'll definitely be giving the futureshop lackeys an earful if they won't refund the extended warranty price.
    01-16-13 07:13 PM