What good things have you done today with your Playbook, and what great secrets have you uncovered not mentioned before about the Playbook and its many hidden talents?

Of course, you may report new accessories or apps you just purchased, and/or post a pic or videos you shot recently.

Praise be to BB9700CA for the inspiration.
    Last edited by alnamvet68; 01-08-12 at 06:45 AM.
    jafobabe, Toodeurep and Megacharge like this.
    01-08-12 05:33 AM
    during the week its used alot for work. 0400 i wake up and get the coffee going, and turn on the bridge. i answer any e mails i might have, and then browse crackberry and bb news. i sometimes roll through my twitter account on blackbird.
    then off to work and get daily status, and start taking daily log of notes with notesmartly. and check on the calendar for the day. After i double check my workout session on the calendar(which is what i use as a workout journal) and I leave the pb at the office during PT, and dont see it again until 0900.
    When i return its more notes at all the meetings either 1sg has, or i hold with my platoon. using the bridge all day i answer emails, i receive and edit memos, manifests, and view brief slides for training events coming up. notesmartly has help with keeping track of everything that happens during the day for future reference, and having the voice and picture attaching capability is outstanding.
    the biggest items used for me during the week are bridge, notesmartly, memopad, calendar and tasks, and docs to go.
    on the weekend i use it to get my blog started, e-mails, blackbird, and internet surfing of news sites
    01-08-12 10:50 AM
    I discovered "SimpleBrowser +" and the fact that I can have multiple instances of live tabs (and even view them) running simultaneously - quite amazing.

You can actually, for example have multiple instances of youtube open and view/hear them at the same time - plus, beats the stock browser in the way it manages tabs and bookmarks.
    VERY NICE. - Done by an active Crackberry member - Hatax.

Maybe I'm late to the show on this - but I had been using the free simplebrowser and meanwhile in the background Hatax has been making big improvements to the paid app - "Simplebrowser +" with a new release in the works in app world - coming soon.

Absolutely must have app for playbook.
    jafobabe and kbz1960 like this.
    01-08-12 10:56 AM
    Also, I got one more rung up on the lampost in Machinarium
    and opened a bottle of vintage champagne when Playbook tied for first place here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1416406

(PS keep voting I have one more bottle left - registering is painless - DO IT!)
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-08-12 at 11:13 AM.
    Megacharge and alnamvet68 like this.
    01-08-12 11:10 AM
    Just purchased the SimpleBrowser+. Thanks 93117 for the headsup, and a BIG thanks to Hatax!

Today is Sunday, so only using the PB for games, surfing and watching movies from Amazon Prime, while doing the normal PC backups for the 2 laptops.

I hope I will be able to use the PB more for work, at a later date.
    Last edited by jafobabe; 01-08-12 at 11:32 AM.
    alnamvet68 likes this.
    01-08-12 11:30 AM
    Just purchased the SimpleBrowser+. Thanks 93117 for the headsup, and a BIG thanks to Hatax!

Today is Sunday, so only using the PB for games, surfing and watching movies from Amazon Prime, while doing the normal PC backups for the 2 laptops.

I hope I will be able to use the PB more for work, at a later date.
    2 laptops 2 playbooks?

Do you have a split personality? Thought you said you only had one brain cell, Jafo?
    jafobabe, kbz1960 and BERaddict like this.
    01-08-12 01:11 PM
    2 laptops 2 playbooks?

Do you have a split personality? Thought you only had one brain cell, Jafo?
    LOL... ummmm NO... and only have HALF of One braincell... why do you think I have to run with scissors??.. LOL (and I'm stickin to it!) ....

Oh, and I'm on the Prison level/module for Machinarium ..
    Last edited by jafobabe; 01-08-12 at 03:01 PM.
    kbz1960 and alnamvet68 like this.
    01-08-12 01:12 PM
    LOL... ummmm NO... and only have HALF of One braincell... why do you think I have to run with scissors??.. LOL (and I'm stickin to it!) ....

Oh, and I'm on the Prison module for Machinarium ..
    That explains it -each of your 2 personalities is only aware of half of your one braincell ...lol
    ok sorry mods this is bordering on PM material for which I got a warning - back to the topic...ummm

Well all I have been doing so far today is monitoring Crackberry with my playbook as I utilize my two desktop monitors for working. - Playbook is a handy and independent third (and fourth) monitor (I have two) , which is GREAT to have for when you need to reboot your desktop or refer to multiple documents simultaneously or multitask.

Yesterday of my life, - I had a client in my office, who wanted me to build a website for her business ( I only do that occasionally) who had sent me some links of her competitors to refer to by email - since my workstation is not really accessible from the small conference table in my office, I use a laptop there.

The laptop is slow (although it is Windows XP and not really that old) ...and was taking forever to wake up and for firefox to open - it was awkward and embarrassing having to fill in the conversation while we waited.

Then a lightbulb when off in my head.. DUH my playbook is sitting right on the table -

Swiped it, brought up my email with bridge, tapped the links and voila- there were the websites that she had sent links to within literally ten seconds- she was startled at how fast it appeared, as we were both in waiting mode... so was I to be honest.

The first question -" is that an ipad??" lol I said, no or you wouldn't be seeing this (FLASH) animation - pointing to the website...(which happened to be extremely important)

Is it any wonder that I love my playbook for .. yes, professional use?
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-08-12 at 01:42 PM.
    Hgouck, jafobabe and BERaddict like this.
    01-08-12 01:37 PM
    I start my day with the PB and a cup of coffee answering emails and reviewing PDF plans of houses I will be working on that day. I pull up my calander and check on what is going on that day. Through SMS Bridge I use the PB bridge to text my guys where they will be working that day. Answer questions about different phases of projects that are going on and send a list of priorities that need to be done to my inside person. It is now 7:00 am.
    Through out the day I am using it to take pictures or videos of things that need a visual record. Using PDF Ultimate i take pictures of signed changes and send them as pdf files to my inside person so she can make instant changes to proposals and contracts so there is no down time. I uses the PB to zoom in on different details of plans so the customer can have a visual of exactly what we are discussing.
    I look up specifications of appliances so there is no confusion of what is going in or how to do it. Then I send the link to my customers email and to my guys so everyone is on the same page.(All through bridge since there is no WiFi on most of my sites). When I am meetings I am able to connect the hdmi to a monitor or TV and present my plans to the client. That way I am not caring around blue prints looking for a place to lay them out. Also, if I do forget a set or there have been changes my inside person emails me the pdf and I am good to go with the updated plans.
    Making changes to my schedule through out my day that updates in the office so everyone knows what is going on.
    When I get home (since there is very little on tv worth watching) i can again connect to the tv through HDMI and watch a movie or using Slacker Radio just relax to some smooth jazz.
    Through out the day I can always slip into CB and check out news or look through the forums. Video chat with my wife and try and keep up with the going ons of my 18 year old.
    That last thing I do is connect it back up to the rapid charger and think back that I used to try and do this on a 2 1/2" by 2 1/2" screen (my BB), trips back and forth to the offices, re scheduling meetings so I would have up to date info and hauling around blue prints that were not accurate.
    I believe it was worth the money I paid for them
    I did forget to mention that I have 4 of my grandchildren living with me 1, 2, 5, and 7 and they all have there favorite games they play from memory to the capitals
    Last edited by Hgouck; 01-08-12 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Just thought of something.
    01-08-12 02:13 PM
    Got Simplebrowser+ today as well. Good stuff.
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-08-12 02:23 PM
    I had a funny thing happen yesterday. My friend knew I had a playbook, and she asked me "is it true the playbook doesn't need battery power?"

I guess she was telling her mom about a new Samsung Galaxy Tab that she just got (local tv company was offering them free when signing up for 3 year cable contract). Anyway, her mom told her about a friend (both in thier 80s) of hers who just got this amazing tablet called a playbook and it didn't need a battery. She had pulled it out of the box, and there was no cables, she was truly amazed.

I haven't heard back yet, but I suspect her needs are simple so probably hasn't drained the battery yet, and when she didn't see a power cable in the packaging (remember it is stored under the plastic packaging that holds the playbook itself), she assumed there was no power requirements! I suggested that she let her mom's friend know this asap, hopefully she hasn't thrown out the box

The playbook is an amazing device, but not yet that amazing! Anyway, a cute story I thought I'd share.
    Last edited by blue-b; 01-08-12 at 03:01 PM.
    01-08-12 02:31 PM
    I used my PB at a church group to show 2 video previews of a new program we are starting at our church.
    Hooked it up to a projector via the HDMI, and had sound hooked up through the headphone jack. Worked like a charm!! And lighter than my laptop!
    alnamvet68 and jafobabe like this.
    01-08-12 04:40 PM
    A cool trick that came in handy on my New Year's Eve bash was to set up a playlist of music videos on YouTube then connect the PB via HDMI to the TV and put it on random. The trick part is that you can edit the playlist from a PC or other computer and it automatically updates on the PB as long as you are logged in to your YouTube account on both.

I think we may have overdone it though, we had it streaming for a good 5 hours and my HDMI port is no longer working but that's a story for a different thread...
    jafobabe, BERaddict and loreburne like this.
    01-08-12 04:50 PM
    On Saturday I watched a number of movies via the Movie Vault application and later listened to streaming audio from a radio station while surfing the web, after walking the dogs. On Sunday, I will continue reading an ebook related to my professional interests probably while listening to some music in the background, and planning my academic and continuing education courses for the next quarter. Of course, using the tablet to read and reply to emails and update my calendar is an every day occurrence.
    jafobabe and alnamvet68 like this.
    01-08-12 04:53 PM
    {{music}}barskin, the sexy super siren of PlayBook Valley was in love with her PlayBook...but, everyone thought it was just for his Bridge. Then, the new guy in town, And Droid, tried to tempt her. "Come to me barskin. Here the call of the native email. Apps, barskin! Netflix!" So she thought about it, and let And show her around. Then, she tried to use her (perfect, beautiful, sexy) fingers to swipe and nothing happened. She tried to close one of these applications, and And laughed! "Ahhhhh hahahahahahaaa! If you want to close an application, my little pretty, you have to....install another application called Task Killer. But that may not be enough, and you will have to install...Advanced Task Killer!"

barskin ran away screaming!!!!! She went back to her beloved PlayBook and she found out the his friend wifi had a long lost twin brother, mifi. barskin happily carried mifi right along with her PlayBook as she waltzed through the highways and byways of PlayBook Valley. "See!" she told everyone, "I don't just love my PlayBook for his Bridge!"

So barskin and her PlayBook had satisfying user interface...bringing us to the climax of our story.
    01-08-12 05:03 PM
    Absolutely the first best post of 2012!!!!!
    01-08-12 05:14 PM
    I had a funny thing happen yesterday. My friend knew I had a playbook, and she asked me "is it true the playbook doesn't need battery power?"

I guess she was telling her mom about a new Samsung Galaxy Tab that she just got (local tv company was offering them free when signing up for 3 year cable contract). Anyway, her mom told her about a friend (both in thier 80s) of hers who just got this amazing tablet called a playbook and it didn't need a battery. She had pulled it out of the box, and there was no cables, she was truly amazed.

I haven't heard back yet, but I suspect her needs are simple so probably hasn't drained the battery yet, and when she didn't see a power cable in the packaging (remember it is stored under the plastic packaging that holds the playbook itself), she assumed there was no power requirements! I suggested that she let her mom's friend know this asap, hopefully she hasn't thrown out the box

The playbook is an amazing device, but not yet that amazing! Anyway, a cute story I thought I'd share.
    I thought it had a wireless battery??
    Well at least the tide has turned and playbook is getting some GOOD false rumors... lol

A cool trick that came in handy on my New Year's Eve bash was to set up a playlist of music videos on YouTube then connect the PB via HDMI to the TV and put it on random. The trick part is that you can edit the playlist from a PC or other computer and it automatically updates on the PB as long as you are logged in to your YouTube account on both.

I think we may have overdone it though, we had it streaming for a good 5 hours and my HDMI port is no longer working but that's a story for a different thread...
    Ouch - are you sure its the HDMI port and not the cable?
    That cable has a lot of torque on it especially when party participants are around.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-08-12 at 05:21 PM.
    01-08-12 05:14 PM
    {{music}}barskin, the sexy super siren of PlayBook Valley was in love with her PlayBook...but, everyone thought it was just for his Bridge. Then, the new guy in town, And Droid, tried to tempt her. "Come to me barskin. Here the call of the native email. Apps, barskin! Netflix!" So she thought about it, and let And show her around. Then, she tried to use her (perfect, beautiful, sexy) fingers to swipe and nothing happened. She tried to close one of these applications, and And laughed! "Ahhhhh hahahahahahaaa! If you want to close an application, my little pretty, you have to....install another application called Task Killer. But that may not be enough, and you will have to install...Advanced Task Killer!"

barskin ran away screaming!!!!! She went back to her beloved PlayBook and she found out the his friend wifi had a long lost twin brother, mifi. barskin happily carried mifi right along with her PlayBook as she waltzed through the highways and byways of PlayBook Valley. "See!" she told everyone, "I don't just love my PlayBook for his Bridge!"

So barskin and her PlayBook had satisfying user interface...bringing us to the climax of our story.
    great story ! That will teach you to stray ha ha ha...
    Now are you sure that wasn't Anne Droid with a mustache?

Careful, looks can be deceiving!!
    01-08-12 05:19 PM
    great story ! That will teach you to stray ha ha ha...
    Now are you sure that wasn't Anne Droid with a mustache?

Careful, looks can be deceiving!!
    Oh, go play with your Amtrak girlfriend, wiseguy!!
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-08-12 05:29 PM
    Oh, go play with your Amtrak girlfriend, wiseguy!!
    Was just teasin...do you really have a mustache? Meant no offense...I liked your story.
    01-08-12 05:33 PM
    Awesome true story barskin!! Love it. Just wish we had a LOL button along with the Like and Thanks buttons!
    Super great read to say the least..
    01-08-12 05:39 PM
    I have my Playbook in my hands lots ... as my participation here confirms. I surf ... look up movie stuff on IMDB (Where have we seen that actor before? That's generally the question that prefaces firing up IMDB) ... and for general stuff like email etc.

On Thursday I used the Playbook to access Youtube so that my 2 year old granddaughter could warch and listen to her latest favourite song, Lady Gaga's Pokerface ... over and over and over and over again! (Her mother's Ipad I couldn't play it ...)

On Friday I was at the office ... alone ... Hubby had taken 3 of the staff to a trade show ... and it was pretty quiet so I listened to live streaming of my favourite talk radio station. Given that the station (Newstalk 1010) is an AM station, it actually comes in better via the internet. The Playbook makes it very handy!

Pretty unexciting I know ... particularly after Barskin's titillating narrative ... but that's the beauty of the Playbook. It does special things and ordinary things ... and it does all of them well.
    01-08-12 05:40 PM
    Was just teasin...do you really have a mustache? Meant no offense...I liked your story.
    Everyone else loves my mustache. Men see me, they gasp, they faint, they're overwhelmed with desire. That's my life; I'm used to it.
    jafobabe likes this.
    01-08-12 05:42 PM
    lol - sorry...maybe I'm not enlightened....a little old fashioned.. I still like mini skirts.
    Last edited by blackjack93117; 01-08-12 at 05:48 PM.
    01-08-12 05:44 PM
    Who is going to wake me up in the morning?
    Who is going to tell me to which client to go?
    Who is going to take notes while I'm at the client?
    Who is going to tell me any (breaking) news?
    Who is going to entertain me while nature calls?
    Who is going to snap a shot when needed?
    Who is going do research on the internet without wifi?
    Who is going to remember the things to do?
    Who is going to remeber your birthday?
    Who is going to chat with you?
    Who is going to check the stocks and currencies?
    Who is going to tell me the weather forcast?
    Who provide me with music?
    Who is having my favorite magazines?
    Who is doing a lot more than listed above?

Well...yes...you could guess it...

MY PLAYBOOK!!!
    01-08-12 06:10 PM
60 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD