I like to browse amazon, newegg, tigerdirect and other online electronics stores to keep up with prices and see new devices that don't get prime-time media coverage.

Now that the fire hd has been on the market for about two weeks I went to amazon to see what people are saying and read some feedback.

I was shocked
    to see that only 45% have given the Fire HD a 5 star review and 34% had given a rating of 3 stars or less.

Many reviewers are saying that the original kindle fire was better.

Now for the the PlayBooks ratings

52% of the PlayBook reviewers on Amazon gave a 5 star review and only 26% had given a rating of 3 stars or less for the PlayBook.

So Amazon buyer's think the PlayBook is better than Amazons self proclaimed "New Normal" Kindle Fire HD.

David defeats Goliath again.

09-22-12 09:49 AM
    Hmm, that's great and all but is the population specified . I mean percentage is useless if the number of people isn't taken into account
    09-22-12 10:08 AM
    It's a percentage, it's very relevant.

If this helps.....
    428 reviewers for Fire HD
    662 reviewers for PlayBook

09-22-12 10:16 AM
    The Playbook, though getting long in the tooth, is some really terrific hardware. OS 2.1 is very good, while incomplete. If the software were there to match, RIM would have a real winner.
    09-22-12 10:19 AM
    I should post a video review of the PlayBook on Amazon.com...

Actually... We all could. We do own the device right? Isn't that what they want? 1st hand opinions?

I'll do it as soon as I can find a camera that can do 720p.
    09-22-12 02:37 PM
    I should post a video review of the PlayBook on Amazon.com...

Actually... We all could. We do own the device right? Isn't that what they want? 1st hand opinions?

I'll do it as soon as I can find a camera that can do 720p.

Another PlayBook will do 720p

Just sayin'
    09-22-12 04:10 PM
    Put it to a mirror and record away.
    09-22-12 05:53 PM
    Interesting stat, for sure. Problem being that Amazon reviews don't pay the bills.
    09-22-12 06:14 PM
    RIM hasn't been counting on the PB being a source of profits for a long time. They're just using it as a lead up to BB10.
    Ishaq786 likes this.
    09-22-12 06:18 PM
    Another PlayBook will do 720p

Just sayin'
    Another PB will also do 1080p. I'll PM my shipping address and you buy me a 64gb one.

Just saying?
    09-22-12 06:24 PM
    RIM hasn't been counting on the PB being a source of profits for a long time. They're just using it as a lead up to BB10.
    Sounds great, and it is a worthy goal, but the gap between releases negates that. People are too fickle to keep focused on stuff for too long.

Still, it's a stat worth repeating though. Shows folks tend to like the device at the prices purchased.
    09-22-12 06:24 PM
    Good news like that makes me want to Fanboy a little.
    diegonei likes this.
    09-22-12 06:30 PM
    Here is my previous attempt, and why a 720p capable camera would be nice.

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGoBZ6eR8VY&feature=plcp[/YT]

My 9780 can only do so much...
    Last edited by diegonei; 09-22-12 at 06:39 PM.
    twstd.reality and Mr.Monty like this.
    09-22-12 06:35 PM
    ^^ you know you can switch apps by just doing a bezel swipe right? Might be worthwhile to show that you don't always need to go back to the home screen. good job nonetheless!
    diegonei likes this.
    09-22-12 07:05 PM
    ^^ you know you can switch apps by just doing a bezel swipe right? Might be worthwhile to show that you don't always need to go back to the home screen. good job nonetheless!
    Watch till the end, shall we? You'll see just that.

I did the swipe up so people could see which app I was leaving/moving to and that there was always something playing (1st the video, the the video store and finally the podcast) no matter what I was doing.

EDIT: Install fact, side swipe is done at 2:00.
    Last edited by diegonei; 09-22-12 at 07:35 PM.
    09-22-12 07:07 PM

I did the swipe up so people could see which app I was leaving/moving to and that there was always something playing (1st the video, the the video store and finally the podcast) no matter what I was doing.
    Glad to see people in Brazil like the cranberries LOL. See I watched it to the end
    09-22-12 07:13 PM
    Hmm, that's great and all but is the population specified . I mean percentage is useless if the number of people isn't taken into account
    You obviously aren't a statistician.

As long as the number sampled is statistically significant the percentages apply.

Nice try though.
    09-22-12 07:22 PM

As long as the number sampled is statistically significant the percentages apply.

Nice try though.
    Right on.

Moreover, we know only a fraction of the consumers that own a device bother to share their opinion, so it is safe to say most PlayBook users are happy campers.

CB may not give that impression because most of the time, people come here looking for help.
    09-22-12 07:33 PM
    So what's the point of this exactly?

My Playbook is a steaming pile. I would hardly consider this a victory for the Playbook. But I guess you guys would take any bone being thrown around here, especially of late.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    09-22-12 07:46 PM

My Playbook is a steaming pile. I would hardly consider this a victory for the Playbook. But I guess you guys would take any bone being thrown around here, especially of late.

No more than naysayers will take any opportunities to badmouth the device.
    09-22-12 09:02 PM

EDIT: Install fact, side swipe is done at 2:00.

ahhhh i see you've thought of everything!
    09-22-12 09:07 PM

I'll take it off your hands for a steaming pile. I'll even pay for shipping.
    diegonei and bungaboy like this.
    09-22-12 09:09 PM

Nice try though.
    As a statistician you probably also know the importance of a random sampling of a population.
    09-22-12 09:51 PM
    It's a percentage, it's very relevant.

If this helps.....
    428 reviewers for Fire HD
    662 reviewers for PlayBook

But keep in mind pb has 662 reviews in 1.5 yrs and hd has 428 reviews in 1.5 month?

Besides, I would define "victory" as sale volume and profit, not review.
    Last edited by smartie88; 09-22-12 at 10:06 PM.
    09-22-12 10:01 PM
    But keep in mind pb has 662 reviews in 1.5 yrs and hd has 428 reviews in 1.5 month?

Besides, I would define "victory" as sale volume and profit, not review.
    I thought the OP's point was customer satisfaction, not device sell through... But I see your point.

Say, come back in 6 months and let's see if that number is six times bigger.

Anyway, it is a victory.BlackBerry devices have been criticized by being out of touch with consumers needs. Positive reviews show RIM can in fact deliver a good user experience. Not that I ever complained about my 9780 on that. Better hardware and apps would have done it for me.
    Last edited by diegonei; 09-23-12 at 09:57 AM.
    09-22-12 10:08 PM
32 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD