I don't know about you guys, but when transferring music onto my Playbook a few days back I notice that the transfer speed was remarkably slow.

over USB it was hovering around 4MB/second and over Wi-Fi around 1-2MB/second (and that's with me being within 5ft of the router and PC i was transferring from)

What kind of speeds are you getting from both USB and Wi-Fi?

Generally on any other device... even my 9780 it will transfer at around 30MB/sec which is WAY more reasonable...
    04-23-11 01:05 PM
    Here's what gets me about the transfer speed... (Mine are slowish as well) When doing a backup from DM, it can move about 2GB of data VERY quickly, like just a few minutes. But when moving files to it over its network share it's SLOW, I'm guessing it's an issue with samba that is on the playbook or its configuration.

I have noticed it pulls files much faster from the web browser. I have my home server setup with a HTTP server for file browsing so I can pull files down to my 9700 or any other device. When using this method with the PB I can pull a 400MB file down in just a minute or two.
    04-23-11 01:11 PM
    I haven't actually used usb yet, wifi is just too convenient.

I am seeing speeds of around 4-5MB/sec on wifi, but if I do multiple copies at the same time the total speed tends to be quite a bit higher than that so maybe there is some configuration issues going on there.
    04-23-11 01:41 PM
    Mine maxes out on 802.11n 3MB/s, I am not mad about it or anything, most likely because it copies the files or multiple files while I am away and doing other things on the PB, I don't have to wait for it to finish since it is all on WiFi and no cables.
    04-23-11 01:44 PM
    Mine maxes out on 802.11n 3MB/s, I am not mad about it or anything, most likely because it copies the files or multiple files while I am away and doing other things on the PB, I don't have to wait for it to finish since it is all on WiFi and no cables.
    That is definitely a crucial difference, the device is still perfectly usable while you are loading it up with content and it still manages to copy stuff faster than my ipad when loading 3rd party content via itunes.
    04-23-11 01:50 PM
    I am getting about 2 mb on wifi transfering music. Its so easy It works well for me. I had no trouble setting it up.
    04-23-11 02:04 PM
    I only tried usb and it was around 3mb/s. I was pretty shocked how slow it was.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-11 02:50 PM
    3mb is not slow, but would be nice if it was faster.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-23-11 03:41 PM
    i get around 5-7 MB/s over USB and 1-2 MB/s over wifi N.
    i am kinda of dissapointed in these slow speeds. its gonna take me a while to transfer enough stuff to fill these 64GBs.
    i really hope they at least increase the wifi transfer speeds.
    04-23-11 05:18 PM
    1.5-1.8 for 1.4 gigs of acc on wifi coming of an old external usb drive that will do about 28-30 over usb might even be 1.X standard can't remember
    04-23-11 05:51 PM
    I think I have a problem Im getting 142KB/sec when loading a 1.2gb video. Its stupid slow. I would love 3mb/sec.

Still cant get usb to work on my win 7 laptop and wifi is beyond slow.

I finally got the USB connection working thanks to the suggestions in this thread http://forums.crackberry.com/f222/pl...ilable-607780/

It was a windows setting that was causing the problem. Now I get 6-7mb via usb and 1mb on wifi
    Last edited by teamfoster03; 04-24-11 at 01:06 AM. Reason: UPDATE
    04-23-11 06:44 PM
    I posted in another thread about this, but the flash filesystem appears to be limited to around 6MB/sec (hardware limitation).
    I've been seeing wifi transfer speeds in the 1-2MB/sec range. The bottleneck appears the be in the network-to-filesystem stack, as I was getting 7MB/sec throughput on speedtest.net in the browser.

The good news is that this should simply be a matter of tuning the stack and then we'll be seeing faster wi-fi file transfers.
    Last edited by JustAnotherBeerbot; 04-24-11 at 12:29 AM. Reason: additional comment...
    04-24-11 12:28 AM
    As i understand, file sharing have to use a way which windows and unix (mac and linux) can both support, there's only one option as far as i know: using SMB to share. That's why it not fast.
    i have an Apple router at home with shared harddrive, transfer speed also very slow, for the same reason.
    in the future if something such as ftp or ssh can be supported, then you'll get a better speed.
    04-24-11 12:45 AM
    I haven't actually used usb yet, wifi is just too convenient.

I am seeing speeds of around 4-5MB/sec on wifi, but if I do multiple copies at the same time the total speed tends to be quite a bit higher than that so maybe there is some configuration issues going on there.
    That's the best transfer speed I've heard of so far. What brand of router are you using and what wifi protection standard is it using? (WEP/WPA/WPA, etc.)
    12-06-12 10:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD