hey everyone,
    I wanted to know if there is a different in data amount consumption between browsing the net via BB's data plan over Bridge vs browsing the net via BB's Hotspot.

This is strictly just browsing the internet using the PlayBook. Not opening messages, BB World or downloading anything on the PlayBook.

Thanks
    05-27-13 11:09 AM
    hey everyone,
    I wanted to know if there is a different in data amount consumption between browsing the net via BB's data plan over Bridge vs browsing the net via BB's Hotspot.

This is strictly just browsing the internet using the PlayBook. Not opening messages, BB World or downloading anything on the PlayBook.

Thanks
    Not knowing where in the world you are all I can say is in the UK the normal bb10 contract comes with 2Gb of data. Doing what you state you need that will be more than ample. The main problem you will have will be battery life. My Z10 has less of a battery life than my solar powered garden lights.
    05-27-13 11:22 AM
    Not knowing where in the world you are all I can say is in the UK the normal bb10 contract comes with 2Gb of data. Doing what you state you need that will be more than ample. The main problem you will have will be battery life. My Z10 has less of a battery life than my solar powered garden lights.
    I am in Ontario Canada. I got a 5GB data plan that I allows tethering and the use of my BB as a wifi hot spot.
    05-27-13 04:25 PM
    I am in Ontario Canada. I got a 5GB data plan that I allows tethering and the use of my BB as a wifi hot spot.
    In that case do whatever you want to as unless you download films one after the other you have another data to sell some to a friend. UK is normally 500Mb, 1Gb, 2Gb or Unlimited.
    05-27-13 04:46 PM
    In that case do whatever you want to as unless you download films one after the other you have another data to sell some to a friend. UK is normally 500Mb, 1Gb, 2Gb or Unlimited.
    So let's say I visit crackberry.com on my playbook browser using bluetooth bridge and open 5 forums. Then close and re-visit crackberry.com on my playbook browser using wifi hotspot on my blackberry and open the same forums.

Is the amount of data used the same? Or does wifi hot spot use up more data or vice versa.

I am not looking to download/stream movies, play online games or do anything data hungry.

Thanks
    05-27-13 07:46 PM
    So let's say I visit crackberry.com on my playbook browser using bluetooth bridge and open 5 forums. Then close and re-visit crackberry.com on my playbook browser using wifi hotspot on my blackberry and open the same forums.

Is the amount of data used the same? Or does wifi hot spot use up more data or vice versa.

I am not looking to download/stream movies, play online games or do anything data hungry.

Thanks
    if you have access to your usage, (i have an app on my phone from Sprint that gives instant usage details, i.e. anytime minutes/night, weekend minutes, data, texts, etc), just do some simple math,,, keep it simple, i wouldn't use you forums example 'cuz if other people have responded, there will be a difference in the data used to open the page,,, use something static, like a webpage from your favorites, & try to keep the time open close,,, look @ your current data usage, jot down the #, after looking @ the page in bridge, write it down again,,, subtract smaller from larger=bridge use for that page,,, now do the same for hotspot, only the starting # will be the one you noted AFTER bridge page visit...
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-27-13 07:57 PM
    I always wondered the same, I think it is a question of battery consumption more than data. I would guess that the hot spot uses more juice.

Posted via CB10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-27-13 08:03 PM
    This.question was more or less discussed here: http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...otspot-792300/
    05-27-13 10:11 PM
    It may also depend on which phone you have. OS7 and earlier use BIS, I THINK, when browsing and so data might be compressed. I believe BIS is gone in bb10 devices, so more data? Hotspot might skip bis in both cases - more data????????????????????

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    sad_old_man and kbz1960 like this.
    05-27-13 10:45 PM
    It may also depend on which phone you have. OS7 and earlier use BIS, I THINK, when browsing and so data might be compressed. I believe BIS is gone in bb10 devices, so more data? Hotspot might skip bis in both cases - more data????????????????????

Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Exactly correct F2. With my 9860 and bb add on from the carrier, (bis to you and i) I found it very difficult to get above 200Mb with very heavy usage. The bb add on is not available for the Z10 so hence they have to give you a data contract instead, typically 2GB in the UK.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-28-13 07:46 AM
    OP I don't think it makes any difference unless as they say you're using a BIS BBRY which then bridge should use less.

I do mostly browsing over bridge on my BIS BBRY around 5 to 6 hours a day 5 days a week and my average use is just under 2gb a month. I have no idea what that would be over wifi without BIS or bridged to a non BIS BBRY.
    FF22 likes this.
    05-28-13 08:00 AM
    I always wondered the same, I think it is a question of battery consumption more than data. I would guess that the hot spot uses more juice.

Posted via CB10
    A ton more juice. In fact, look at your avatar -- you are the hotspot and the coconut is the BB.
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-28-13 09:54 AM
    A ton more juice. In fact, look at your avatar -- you are the hotspot and the coconut is the BB.
    Pssssssttt the battery on the Z10 is about a quarter of the size of the coconut! Think more along the lines of four AA batteries with not as much power!
    05-28-13 10:42 AM
    Lol. Good example.

Posted via CB10
    sad_old_man likes this.
    05-30-13 10:55 AM
    Lol. Good example.

Posted via CB10
    Pssst swop you a pasty for a coconut?
    05-30-13 11:06 AM