strange that he would do that.
    01-18-12 04:09 PM
    CTR is probably in the top 5 all time popular tablet games, and I would think the CEO has a better gauge than the average bb pb fanboi to know if the playbook will be a success or not....and so far it can't even compete with the crappy kindle fire even at the sam pricepoint.
    Entirely depends on what you mean by success.

In my opinion now, I think the PlayBook would be a success for RIM if RIM were able to get 30% to 40% of the enterprise tablet market and 5% of the retail tablet market two years from now, even if the PlayBook were sold at cost. Because even at cost, RIM would make some money on the PlayBook through BES/Mobile Fusion licenses and app & accessory sales. The main success would be getting the PlayBook into enterprises and protecting part of its phone installations there

On the other hand, a 5% share of the general tablet market would not look like a success to a game manufacturer.

His company, as well as other software companies, may be trying out PlayBook development in order to prepare for BB10 phones, not because they think the PlayBook itself will be a great retail success.
    Last edited by VerryBestr; 01-18-12 at 04:21 PM.
    01-18-12 04:16 PM

In my opinion now, I think the PlayBook would be a success for RIM if RIM were able to get 30% to 40% of the enterprise tablet market and 5% of the retail tablet market two years from now, even if the PlayBook were sold at cost. Because even at cost, RIM would make some money on the PlayBook through BES/Mobile Fusion licenses and app & accessory sales. The main success would be getting the PlayBook into enterprises and protecting part of its phone installations there

On the other hand, a 5% share of the general tablet market would not look like a success to a game manufacturer.

His company, as well as other software companies, may be trying out PlayBook development in order to prepare for BB10 phones, not because they think the PlayBook itself will be a great retail success.
    How does sales of current PB device to enterprise market bring BES/Mobile fusion license revenue to RIM? Are you talking about future PB designs which includes 3G/LTE access?

I doubt PB could remain successful selling at cost for several years. 30-40% of enterprise market is a little too optimistic view, considering they need to climb up to get to that level, not merely maintaining currently market share.
    01-18-12 05:13 PM

In my opinion now, I think the PlayBook would be a success for RIM if RIM were able to get 30% to 40% of the enterprise tablet market and 5% of the retail tablet market two years from now, even if the PlayBook were sold at cost.
    There have been roughly 1 million PlayBooks sold despite 75 million BB subscribers. RIM would love to reach 5% of the BB subscriber market, much less the overall market.
    01-18-12 05:20 PM
    Everyone has to realize that RIM is moving everything to QNX. This means that if a game dev makes a game for QNX they are targeting every single RIM device. The number of users will go up once BB10 phones are here and then we will likely see an influx of much better apps.

This is my hope and also what I genuinly think will happen. It will take time to grow but its the smaller developers that kick start a niche platform. The larger developers often times don't bother. I like that
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-18-12 05:33 PM
    Who gives a flying cr*p what a CEO says(see jim and mike about leapfrogging the competition or any other a*sanine thing they have said recently). Its a fun game so I bought it, same as any other app I deem that's worth the money.
    01-18-12 05:53 PM
    CEOs say dumb $hit all the time nothing to see here, unless they are creating the native email for OS2! Which they aren't!
    I think this just highlights the risks involved with having only a single CEO.
    blue-b and CDM76 like this.
    01-18-12 07:53 PM
    I think this just highlights the risks involved with having only a single CEO.
    I'm not sure if this was meant to be funny but I thought it was hilarious.
    01-18-12 11:15 PM
83 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD