I was just reading this article and dont understand why the CEO of Zeptolab, the maker of Cut the Rope, would say what he said about a device his company is making money off of.

This is what he said:

But don’t make this about how nice RIM (NSDQ: RIMM) products are: I don’t have many hopes for the PlayBook, but there are some who are choosing it and we will deliver the game to them.

I apologize...Here is the link.
    http://paidcontent.org/article/419-s...zeptolabs-ceo/
    Last edited by Zetti; 01-16-12 at 07:26 PM.
    dan-mark likes this.
    01-16-12 07:13 PM
    Wow. That's pretty lame.
    01-16-12 07:17 PM
    Where did you read that?

That can be interpreted as: He doesn't think the PlayBook will succeed but he and his team will still bring their products to the tablet as long as people buy the PlayBook.
    01-16-12 07:21 PM
    If he said that he's an and I'll regret having purchased his game.

+1 for wanting to see the article before I fly off the handle. I know these pen15es will eat their words but it still angers me how they downplay what's awesome and propagate the anti-hype.
    01-16-12 07:26 PM
    Had to do a bit of a search to find the article:

Sweet Success For Cut The Rope: An Interview With ZeptoLab’s CEO | mocoNews

Difficult to parse that comment. Sounds as if he likes the PB as a piece of hardware but doesn't think it has a great future, nonetheless will bring the game to it. I imagine he knows his market.
    Richdog- and Anatomy like this.
    01-16-12 07:29 PM
    His comment was spot on. He has no faith with playbook being a success, but he didn't mind bring it to playbook. The cost to port the game is low and he can afford to do it even it doesn't sell very well.
    01-16-12 07:42 PM
    His comment was spot on. He has no faith with playbook being a success, but he didn't mind bring it to playbook. The cost to port the game is low and he can afford to do it even it doesn't sell very well.
    But why would you even say anything at all. Why would you insult one of your customer bases. Just not an intelligent statement.
    flash24, menaknow, CDM76 and 3 others like this.
    01-16-12 08:01 PM
    Now regret purchasing the game in the first place!
    CDM76, bbfan1040 and recompile like this.
    01-16-12 08:03 PM
    But why would you even say anything at all. Why would you insult one of your customer bases. Just not an intelligent statement.
    I agree. It was an odd thing to say and really won't help him at all. Why even comment?
    Willard814 likes this.
    01-16-12 08:07 PM
    Glad i waited to purchase his game. I wouldn't want to taint his pockets with my playbook stash. ROPE CUT!!!
    01-16-12 08:15 PM
    if u broguht this game u should write this in the reviews and put 1 or 0 stars!
    maddie1128 and Willard814 like this.
    01-16-12 08:23 PM
    Why is it an insult? As I read it Lyalin is stating his opinion that he doesn't think the PB will be a platform on which his game will make much money. He probably has a better idea than you or I.

Some context: the lead up paragraph was about how they had some delay with certain platforms in order to make sure it worked with various devices.

We are bringing it to other platforms, because when you have an entertainment platform you have to invest in all platforms. It will be coming to both Windows Phone and Symbian soon: we actually started working on Symbian a while ago but there are a lot of device models so we need to make sure we can deliver it to everyone—similar to Android, which we wanted to release in the spring but had to wait until the summer to make sure it worked properly everywhere.
    Then came the quote in question, in its proper context.

PlayBook was different: it is a powerful machine and we could have it done in short order. Some platforms, like Kindle Fire and iOS, you start things and it just works, PlayBook is kind of similar. But don’t make this about how nice RIM (NSDQ: RIMM) products are: I don’t have many hopes for the PlayBook, but there are some who are choosing it and we will deliver the game to them.
    Ergo: PB is pretty easy to develop for but we didn't until now because the customer base isn't there for top priority and the high quality of RIM's models is irrelevant because of the lack of customer base.

As for people boycotting the game because of the "insult" – good heavens. Not to mention it only serves to prove Lyalin correct.
    Last edited by TGR1; 01-16-12 at 08:28 PM.
    01-16-12 08:25 PM
    "I don't have many hopes for our game being a big source of income in the BB platform, however some people are choosing this platform so we will deliver the game for them." My take anyway...
    anon(3460513) likes this.
    01-16-12 08:37 PM
    Not buying the app just hurts the bigger picture. If you don't like the game, don't buy it. But if you're trying to prove a point about what he said, not buying the game won't say anything to him. Send him an email or comment on the article that is linked above. That's a more direct way to show your dissatisfaction with what he said.

Low sales of popular games = fewer apps and games will be ported over.

The same goes for buying the game and leaving a negative review, solely based on his comment. No one spends time going through hundreds of reviews and reading them. They look at the number of stars and either buy the game/app or move on. Lowering the rating of a well done game to punish a developer for a comment he made that you may or may not be interpreting correctly will only punish the PlayBook community.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with what he said. It's his opinion, and we're all entitled to them.
    01-16-12 08:45 PM
    he doesn't have great things to say about android either. I bought the game and it is lots of fun..
    I don't agree with how it was presented on RIMs prospects, but he is right in the fact that pb base is smaller then the ios base. (but it is changing)

This is a game the people want and ios apps are pretty simple to convert as what he says. So when bb10 comes the base would grow that much more.

This only means growing interest in the bb platform from developers. Another ios developer that could not resist.
    bbfan1040 and pmccartney like this.
    01-16-12 08:47 PM
    Not buying the app just hurts the bigger picture. If you don't like the game, don't buy it. But if you're trying to prove a point about what he said, not buying the game won't say anything to him. Send him an email or comment on the article that is linked above. That's a more direct way to show your dissatisfaction with what he said.

The same goes for buying the game and leaving a negative review, solely based on his comment. No one spends time going through hundreds of reviews and reading them. They look at the number of stars and either buy the game/app or move on. Lowering the rating of a well done game to punish a developer for a comment he made that you may or may not be interpreting correctly will only punish the PlayBook community.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with what he said. It's his opinion, and we're all entitled to them.
    stop making good sense! lmao
    Michelle Haag likes this.
    01-16-12 08:57 PM
    He's entitled to his opinions, but at least they STILL produced the game for the PB. I could understand the outrage and boycotting if he said "We won't bother with it because of my opinion that it will fail." There are plenty of companies with that attitude that deserve the anger...
    CDM76 likes this.
    01-16-12 09:00 PM
    Insult? For real?

Some of y'all really, really take on the personas of your devices, don't you?

Wow.

Mobile post via Tapatalk
    01-16-12 09:02 PM
    Why boycott the game if you like it? PB needs unity. The way to prove people wrong and show developers PB and BB has a future is to continue to buy their products if you like their products. Let number speaks for itself. I don't blame developers for casting doubts on PB. They need to prioritize their resource allocation..if they make money they will change their attitude towards PB.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9810 using Tapatalk
    01-16-12 09:06 PM
    To OP I don't think it is a shot. He says it is pretty much as easy as iOS and Kindle to port. He a business man and allocated resources to where he thought it served him best. This eventually brought Om Nom to the PB platform. The cheques from RIMs App World will determine if he brings more app development to PB. If he makes more $ on PB app world than say on android market which platform do you think gets first attention for the next project?
    lotuslanderz likes this.
    01-16-12 09:50 PM
    Now regret purchasing the game in the first place!
    Why, so his words can become a self-fulfilling prophecy and he can point to the outcome and say "see? I told you so."

If the game's good, just buy it and enjoy it. Spread the word. Make him eat his... which I'm sure, if it makes him a bunch of money, he'll gladly do.
    01-16-12 09:54 PM
    Money is money. If the the CEO makes money then he is happy. He does not say the PB is bad, just he does not see a FAST financial opportunity likely due to slow to develop sales. However, he did decide to make an investment in the PB and he is afraid to be out smarted by his competitors. Money is money.

PlayBook was different: it is a powerful machine and we could have it done in short order. Some platforms, like Kindle Fire and iOS, you start things and it just works, PlayBook is kind of similar. . . . I don’t have many hopes (Does he mean a financial return on HIS investment?) for the PlayBook, but there are some who are choosing it and we will deliver the game to them.
    Last edited by mandony; 01-16-12 at 10:08 PM.
    01-16-12 10:00 PM
    Well as a PlayBook owner and I love it. I dont think that he really said anything that out of line....the fact that RIM is currently on a 3 month fire sale and put a half a billion dollar loss on the books to do it shows that the device was having some problems. The PlayBook is not as toyish as the ipad or android tablet is basically all that he was trying to say. Ive never heard of this lame game and will certainly never be purchasing it.
    01-16-12 10:15 PM

Agreed with the above.

I understand everyone, as they believe he could have handled it his comment better. CEO themselves never shoot themselves in the foot by alienating a target audience. RIM themselves are living proof of assuming the iPhone is just a toy. Well fast forward to the future and I don't really have to explain anything.

This CEO might wake up in the future and see alot of his sales coming from the Playbook, (also might have something to do with the fact that there is no free version and it is 2.99 instead of a 1.99 price tag... but I digress).

A boycott in purchases will do nothing more than tell developers this is not a target audience that they can make money with...

However I will be sending him an email to state that I am disappointed in his comments and will instead be using his FREE HTML5 version instead of purchasing his application...

(YEAH YEAH I know I contradicted myself, but reality is... I actually won't play the game... Bought angry birds to support RIO and I still have to play the game for more than 5 minutes ).
    Last edited by menaknow; 01-16-12 at 10:25 PM.
    01-16-12 10:22 PM
    good grief, some CEO's should keep their mouth's shut, we all know one very well now we know another. Funny way to market your product, buy our game oh by the way your tablet will fail.
    01-16-12 10:24 PM
83 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD