I am a total newbie with developing. I actually haven't even started my classes for Java yet. I played with Visual Basic when I was 12 long ago. I am wondering will I need to learn a totally new programming language in the future? Or will all current developers still be able to use Java?
    09-29-10 08:48 PM
    there will ALWAYS be new languages to learn. that's the nature of the beast. the one thing you can count on is CHANGE.

Don't be like Garth in Wayne's World. LOL! ("We FEAR change!!!")
    09-29-10 08:51 PM
    Java is a great learning language, a horrible development language.

I really suggest you look at learning other languages right out of the shoot,

There are new languages developed every year, some grow, others just seem to vanish, you'll always want to familiarize your self with that is popular
    09-29-10 08:59 PM
    Java is only good for one thing... drinking... or eating if turned into ice cream.
    09-29-10 09:14 PM
    I am a total newbie with developing. I actually haven't even started my classes for Java yet. I played with Visual Basic when I was 12 long ago. I am wondering will I need to learn a totally new programming language in the future? Or will all current developers still be able to use Java?
    As others have said, you'll always be learning new languages. Expect to learn a new one at least every 2-3 years as long as you're actively developing. The important thing is, almost every programming language is built in similar concepts. They have slightly different syntax, rules about what's an object, etc. but fundamentally they use the same structures. Java is a great language, certainly a good candidate to learn first. I'd then try to learn a language without C-based syntax, just so you can get a feel for what else is out there. I'd recommend Python, but really what language isn't important. Once you see what's similar and what's different between those two, new languages will be easy.

The only time you'll see things that are radically different is if you look into the functional languages: Scheme, Lisp, etc. You're unlikely to ever encounter them outside of academia or specialized applications though.

To answer your question though. Though main languages for the PlayBook will be HTML/JavaScript development with WebWorks, and C/C++ development with the QNX native development platform.
    09-30-10 12:17 AM
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I have an idea what to do. I'll have to see what else is offered at my school. I know there is a C++ class, not sure about other classes at the moment. Good thing I have a class today so I can find out.

Thanks
    Last edited by Tsudeily; 09-30-10 at 05:44 AM.
    09-30-10 05:25 AM
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I have an idea what to do. I'll have to see what else is offered at my school. I know there is a C++ class, not sure about other classes at the moment. Good thing I have a class today so I can find out.

Thanks

Start looking for independent language learning

Go learn yourself a serverside mark up language like PHP or ASP, or Ruby on RAILS

learn C/C++ , Objective C

You'll find many tutorials, if you stick to Oo languages at first it will even help you with your Java classwork
    09-30-10 05:48 AM
    I found it tough to learn C/C++ kinda starting to get the hang of it though, any tips to learn more efficiently? expert Dave any ideas? :P
    09-30-10 08:41 AM
    Your Java course will tell you everything you need to know about developing software solutions. Once you learn how to do that, learning any other object oriented language is easy. The only thing to 'learn' when moving on to another language are the syntax and minor rules about what you can and can't do in that environment.
    09-30-10 08:48 AM
    Java is a great learning language, a horrible development language.

I really suggest you look at learning other languages right out of the shoot,
    It's a matter of using the right tool for the job. If you want to build an enterprise web application, the JEE offerings are by far the best. It's hard to top the JSF/Spring/Hibernate stack. On the other hand, it may not be the best option for a real-time OS.
    09-30-10 09:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD