I lost my PlayBook for a couple of months and found it trapped between my boxspring and bedframe while we were moving a few days ago. The screen now has a crack through it as a result of being pinched there. Everything works fine, so it seems the LCD and digitizer are okay. Do I just need to replace the glass and bezel? Just the glass? Where would I find the right part? I see lots of tutorials on tearing it down and replacing the parts, I am just a bit confused as to what part I actually need to replace.
    08-03-13 12:04 PM
    you can get the screen/digitzer, unit on ebay should fix you up
    08-03-13 12:18 PM
    I guess I'd ask can you live with the crack? If on the surface, a screen protector could smooth it out. The crack might "vanish" after you get use to it.
    08-03-13 12:44 PM
    There are vendors online that sell the digitizer, which is what you need, but they average $40+ for OEM units. It's a simpler and quicker job to replace the digitizer and the magnesium frame as a unit because the digitizer is glued to the frame with double-stick tape and a bit of a challenge for some to remove it and glue it back on. Digitizer and frame as a unit are selling new for around $60 to $100. As suggested, you can usually find a digitizer and frame as a unit on ebay removed from another PB for around $30-$40. Also get one of the cell phone tool kits, around $6, which will help prevent damaging the PB when disassembling it..
    Last edited by rotorwrench; 08-04-13 at 05:31 PM.
    08-04-13 10:35 AM
    With Playbook prices dropping is it getting to the stage it might be as cheap to get a used working version and sell the damaged one for spares????
    08-04-13 11:28 AM
    I lost my PlayBook for a couple of months and found it trapped between my boxspring and bedframe while we were moving a few days ago. The screen now has a crack through it as a result of being pinched there. Everything works fine, so it seems the LCD and digitizer are okay. Do I just need to replace the glass and bezel? Just the glass? Where would I find the right part? I see lots of tutorials on tearing it down and replacing the parts, I am just a bit confused as to what part I actually need to replace.
    Replacement LCD Glass Digitizer Touch Screen W Tools FOR Blackberry Playbook NEW | eBay
    08-04-13 05:02 PM
    I forgot to remind you OP, be sure and verify the parts you get are OEM parts and not some cheap knockoffs. I've purchased two digitizers with frames attached removed from parted out PBs on eBay that were as nice a condition as the new ones I've purchased, at half the price. Remember, if you buy the digitizer only, be patient, as the separation from the frame is a little tedious on some PBs but it will separate with use of a hot rag or a very concentrated but low heat source.
    08-04-13 05:20 PM
    How bad is the crack and how long is it? Guess there is no chance of sealing it off.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using CB Forums mobile app
    08-04-13 06:54 PM