Several nights ago after many long years of service, my PlayBook was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Left on the couch by my son, he had moved on to his 3DS which he decided also needed to be thrown on the couch. Unfortunately the only hard part on the Nintendos "Nerf" case made contact on the upper left corner in the screen. The impact spot it self is very small but sent a large crack across the center, which doesn't bother me as it is barley visible. However I did lose touch functionality. (Which is frustrating because I've seen far worse damage on other PlayBooks and the touch still works)As far as I can tell the LCD is fine, it is only the glass that is damaged. I'm willing to do the work myself, but is it worth fixing? To further complicate things my USB failed a while ago and I have no way to recover my files! Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

Posted via CB10
    07-31-14 11:26 PM
    I don't know if it's worth fixing. Depends on the price of the parts needed. New or used playbooks are selling for quite cheap...if you still want one that might be the way to go
    08-01-14 08:57 AM
    Copy all your docs, music, images, and all whatever you want to keep over wifi to your pc (not hard).

As to the screen replacement, if you are patient detail oriented you can do it, videos all over you tube. cost not bad.

But there are some refurbs and still a few new units avail CHEAP out there. Might just be easier to copy your files over to a "new" replacement unit, and use the "hobbled" unit as a high end bedside alarm clock and picture frame.

c
    08-01-14 02:12 PM
    Copy all your docs, music, images, and all whatever you want to keep over wifi to your pc (not hard).
    Only possible if wifi file sharing is turned on in settings, which may not be the case here.
    08-01-14 02:58 PM
    Thank for the advice everyone. Unfortunately I can't get my PlayBook to show up via wifi, which is strange because I remember when I first got my PlayBook it would only transfer over wifi even when plugged into USB. Of course I don't remember exactly how I turned it off. Perhaps since I have nothing to loose at this point I should try and get the USB port working. Any tips on how to get that going without ripping it apart?

Posted via CB10
    08-04-14 01:37 PM
    Thank for the advice everyone. Unfortunately I can't get my PlayBook to show up via wifi, which is strange because I remember when I first got my PlayBook it would only transfer over wifi even when plugged into USB. Of course I don't remember exactly how I turned it off. Perhaps since I have nothing to loose at this point I should try and get the USB port working. Any tips on how to get that going without ripping it apart?

Posted via CB10
    I assume this is straightforward: just plug PB in your PC/laptop, download BB device manager and drivers, and once you see your PB as connected device, copy and paste necessary files to PC/laptop.
    By the way, there are Playbook screens on Ebay. But replacement work might be more expensive than the screen...
    08-04-14 01:50 PM