Hey All,

So I hope everybody is enjoying their new PlayBooks! I picked up a new one today and am loving it.

Following up our initial BlackBerry PlayBook Review, I'm working on a followup re-review of the device that I want to put up on the blogs later this week or early next week.

In it, I want to go beyond just my experiences/take on it and include feedback from the community as it's appropriate. With a device like a tablet, how you use it and what your other gadgets are (do you own a laptop too, another tablet, etc.) can impact your take on a new device like the PlayBook, so that's why I want to crowd source on it a bit now that more people have it.

So... if you want to share your thoughts on this thread below, that would be great. To keep it kind of on topic and value added, maybe sticking to a bit of a format as follows will help:

What was your primary reason for choosing the PlayBook?

What are you loving/value most about the PlayBook?

Are there any things you're not liking/wish were different?

What features do you want to see come to the PlayBook asap?

And anything else you think is relevant....

ALSO.... I'm curious to know now that you've owned a PlayBook, what do you think of all those initial reviews... we're they fair? too harsh??

Thanks in advance!!!!
    04-19-11 05:22 PM
    Hate it, haven't even gotten to the OS and I hate it.
    04-19-11 05:23 PM
    I like it so far. No major problems yet. I would like to see autotext working. It would save so much time. That is probably my biggest beef so far.

After that it would be BBM. But i cam wait 2weeks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-11 05:28 PM
    two things i would want
    - have the computer read the playbook as an external drive without installing drivers
    - have video resume from last point in video app
    04-19-11 05:28 PM
    Hate it, haven't even gotten to the OS and I hate it.
    Lol. *sigh* I don't care what YOU think of the PlayBook sooks... you're too tainted. I kid, I kid. Anybody else? No point posting in this thread until you've actually spent some time using the device.

It's ok to not like it though... just need more specifics than that.
    04-19-11 05:29 PM
    I am loving it so far! I waited and got the PB because of how it works with the BB...and the setup went flawlessly for me (including BB Bridge). I am just getting into looking at the apps now, but so far, I am extremely happy with it!
    04-19-11 05:32 PM
    Lol. *sigh* I don't care what YOU think of the PlayBook sooks... you're too tainted. I kid, I kid. Anybody else? No point posting on this thread until you've actually spent some time using the device.

It's ok to not like it though... just need more specifics than that.
    Lol I have had it all day and literally can't get to the OS damn thing just won't boot lol , tried all the fixes and just nothing ... Lol any ideas bro ? You are the BB god
    04-19-11 05:32 PM
    That really sucks. My bad for harping on ya sooks. Take it back to the store...

one point of hope: with my review unit, one morning the battery was dead on it (it had quite a bit of charge when i went to bed but something must have caused it to battery drain - earlier software). The device was DEAD. Wouldn't turn on. I put it on the charger for like 30 minutes, and it was still dead. I called RIM to fly me down a new PlayBook to review. But then, after like 90 minutes on the charger, all of a sudden it came back to life and took a charge again. So it eventually fixed itself and booted normally again. Maybe just plug it in for a while, don't touch it, and hope for the best?

But honestly, you should probably just take it back at this point. Don't waste more time on it.
    jajano and paulvr01 like this.
    04-19-11 05:38 PM
    I agree, no need for constant ******** on the forum. If I was in his place when I open mine tonight, tomorrow it would go back. EXCHANGE IT, just do it man.
    04-19-11 05:40 PM
    Picked it up this morning at 10am when Best Buy opened - I was stoked to be the first customer out the door with it.

I do a majority of my communications on my 9780 so having a bridge feature was my primary reason, thus being able to do all the things I do now but on a 7 inch screen. Everything else was just icing on the cake really - and dont even get me started on that whole at&t scare we had last night/this morning.

So far - The Bridge. The browser is great also, takes a lil bit for it to load up (with flash on) but once that blue line makes it all the way across its all good.
    Not digging the notifications - might be because I'm used to the lil blinking light. But we'll see how I adjust to the corner thing.

Autotext is a must, I have like a whole dictionary that I've made up on my bb. Its really like shorthand - so now on the PB I really need to spell things out. My BB has made me lazy

Would love to see BBM active - but thats not far away (Hopefully)
    0liver and KOOLWATER like this.
    04-19-11 05:41 PM

Fun, and as an extension of my Blackberry Torch (bigger screen, better media capabilities), hopefully Skype, Netflix, and music creation apps are on the way.

Solid build, Blackberry Bridge is awesome!

Regarding the Bridge emails:
    - URLs in email are non-clickable
    - Email attachments do not open
    I'm hoping that these will be fixed in OS updates.

BBM via Bridge, music and video playback via Bridge.

Would be cool to have Facebook and Twitter apps that sync across Bridge, so that I don't have to re-read the same items on my BB or on my PB.

The power button on my 16GB is very flush, not easy to press.

Otherwise, everything else is great so far! Looking forward to some more apps being released...
    Last edited by MusicMtl; 04-19-11 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Sorry, I ignored the format. Here is more details, and correct format
    04-19-11 05:41 PM
    That really sucks. My bad for harping on ya sooks. Take it back to the store...

one point of hope: with my review unit, one morning the battery was dead on it (it had quite a bit of charge when i went to bed but something must have caused it to battery drain - earlier software). The device was DEAD. Wouldn't turn on. I put it on the charger for like 30 minutes, and it was still dead. I called RIM to fly me down a new PlayBook to review. But then, after like 90 minutes on the charger, all of a sudden it came back to life and took a charge again. So it eventually fixed itself and booted normally again. Maybe just plug it in for a while, don't touch it, and hope for the best?

But honestly, you should probably just take it back at this point. Don't waste more time on it.
    Thank I'll try just keeping on the charger more, I would love to take it back but the store is now sold out so I'm stuck til either new shipment or it fixes it self I need to taste the QNX !!
    04-19-11 05:42 PM
    What was your primary reason for choosing the PlayBook? Having worked with the platform for years (BES administrator), I like how they handle data and security. Plus, already having an iPad (and an Archos 101 droid tablet) for some time, I wanted a smaller form factor, and QNX sealed the deal!

What are you loving/value most about the PlayBook? The true "multi-tasking" ability....this thing is a workhorse that won't quit.

Are there any things you're not liking/wish were different? I wish the Bridge functionality was complete (mainly, BBM at launch) , and the GPS does not seem to work, on mine anyway.

What features do you want to see come to the PlayBook asap? BBM standalone, push email client.

And anything else you think is relevant.... The fact that this little 7" tablet has true 1080p HD output and display, and can run many apps at once, not to mention the Bridge function which will save a LOT of money over typical tethering with other devices cannot be overlooked. Lets not forget the QNX OS, which gives the user a rich, true browsing experience on the web! Well done RIM.
    04-19-11 05:43 PM
    I am extremely happy with the current state of things but there is always a scope improvement and I have confidence in RIM.

wish list : auto text/correction, maps software, netflix or that means silverlight support+DRM, access network drives, printing support.
    04-19-11 05:46 PM
    I'm very happy with my Playbook. A few things I'd like to see...BBM and Netflix. Also, I have not been able to get the bridge browser to work. I can sync my messages, calendar and contacts but no browser. I'm still playing and learning, though
    04-19-11 05:46 PM
    -bridge
    -size
    -trust in a quality product name
    -....ITS SO COOL! lol

the fact that this is an excellent "middleground" device between my 9780 and my laptop. Perfect for browsing, quick emails, and quick word processing

i wish the launch went better for others. My first impressions on the launch and usage are all good. i would appreciate better file sharing between my bold and my playbook

bbm
    true file sharing between the playbook and my phone's sd card
    netflix
    AUTOCORRECT!
    (not in any order, just asap!)
    04-19-11 05:47 PM
    Picked it up around 2 today and cannot put it down. I had no issues with setting it up or bridging my BB bold on ATT(thanks to OTA link).

-i have a laptop that i'll use for heavy duty stuff, but will start to transition what I can to the playbook.

- Love bridge browser- ability to get on the net when no wifi is available, hopefully rather than blocking this carriers will change thier policy. Not even sure if they can stop this as it's a bluetooth connection to the phone.

- luv the screen
    -documents to go brought up my resume and it looked perfect!
    -HDMI and bluetooth keyboard and mouse are awesome, i now have a 24 in ch screen and a thin client. (just need citrix reciever)

Need email integration into the apps ASAP
    -Need to be able to embed stuff into documents to go!
    - file bridge more than just word to go apps and .pdf docs...

would like to see DLNA and more apps, more specifcally

netflix, skype, CITRIX RECIEVER, amazon mp3, ability to buy magazines (either through BN store, kobo, anyone), hulu plus (eventually hulu will block it, but works great now) a lot more but of course i can't think of any more
    BTW, Kevin, you've been doing a great job keeping on top of the Playbook launch. Started with the most detailed review out there, then following launch day, and already preparing an updated review... Go Crackberry!
    I really want to participate in this thread, but I probably won't be able to pick one up for myself until next week...
    04-19-11 05:48 PM
    See my answers below:

I'm familiar the Microkernel Architectures and the QNX OS has AMAZING potential. I'm confident that RIM can update it quick and we can watch the platform evolve right in front of our eyes. The full HDMI mirroring and presentation mode were big selling points for me, as well as the second-to-none multitasking capabilities.

The size, the screen. It's perfect.

I wish there were native apps from the get go. Haven't fount anything else to dislike other than the small nuances here and there RIM will need to fix via updates.

I want to point out that this thing NEEDS a file manager/browser. I can't even find one in App World to use in the mean time.

I want to start seeing big name services like Netflix come to the Playbook along with Apps. I want a more fleshed out notification system, Facebook/Twitter that take advantage of the screen and not just throw me into a browser, etc.

Nope.
    Last edited by Kill3r.Conc3ptz; 04-19-11 at 09:27 PM.
    04-19-11 05:48 PM
    I got the Playbook for its size and ability to pair with my BB. Plus I really like BB's products and thought this would be a solid step. I absolutely love it although I've only had it running for a few hours now. The screen is incredible, setup was a breeze and browsing the internet is just plain fun. It really needs to have auto-correct because it's extremely annoying to always have to switch back and forth between screens to add an apostrophe or capitalize for example. I'm also used to the BB typing software and it would be good to blend some of the same elements, like hitting space twice to add a period.
    They really need to get the Bridge thing worked out ASAP. I'm on Verizon and I still can't get the Bridge to download to my phone. Also, would like to see Skype's app soon, or at least something to make use of video chatting which would greatly enhance the experience.
    Overall, I really love the device. The UI is fairly easy to use once you get the hang of it (I've watched so many videos that I was almost an expert right out of the box haha), and it's incredibly smooth. I just feel the software needs to be cleaned up and some more elements added. I'm excited for the future!
    04-19-11 05:49 PM
    Pros: the screen in amazing on it, it looks real, the hardware is top notch, I can open up as many apps as I want, and still no memory warnings, the OS and UI are so stable and fluid, the browser is amazing, its similar to chrome's speeds, the size is perfect, and the camera is very good quality.

Cons: custom wallpapers are extremely zoomed, the GPS isn't activated, and thats about all
    04-19-11 05:50 PM

I like its email integration via BlackBerry. Syncing is a big problem these days when we have so many devices. **** I have 2 computers and I know keeping files in sync on both PC is a huge problem, and I don't want to do that for my contacts, or delete emails 3 times on different devices lolz

I came from Palm IIIc, Palm V all the way to BlackBerry, watched Intellisync grew, and appreciate the amount of technology that is transparent behind that Desktop Manager. Something probably a lot of people won't appreciate.

The browser. Hands down. Yes, it does have hickups here and there, but lets put it this way, I have 99% of the web with me, so far it haven't failed the sites I visit often.

I enjoy watching justin.tv, which iPads without apps, can never do. I've been watching my friend drawing on justin.tv! They think I'm at home just paying attention when I simply have it running on the background LOLZ

If BlackBerry came with all the stuff "they" promised then it'd be koolaid. Scratchpad, BBM over BB. It's not a deal breaker, but first impression counts.

I like everything else on the PB so no, I don't wish for more XD

RIM's native apps like twitter. Android emulator. RIM makes high-quality apps, not more fart apps. I am always eager to test out their latest software on BB, and Im sure the PB one would be amazing.

I called tech support today. They were for sure not native speaker. Being a "professional" grade tablet, I wish they did their tech support in Canada or someone who speaks natively. English is not my first language either, so I totally know it's difficult, but lets just say, I called them today and tech support wasn't too helpful.

Their phoneline is super low quality, like they cannot hear me, you can hear it went through like 10 hops and its starting to fade. Professional grade tablet, requires business-quality tech support, not some people outsourced. That's just my 2c. You'd expect a little more in tech support.

But yea, having a 10" laptop, a 7" fills the void for me. I find the tablet at the sweet spot, got the SECURITY (which, a lot of people really don't appreciate), crisp screen and very powerful given the size ! Probably even more energy efficient than the iPad (given the size vs screen vs power).

Love the browser. The browser was the major reason I got the PB, and it still, haven't failed. What a change since the Visor Prism days, where I had to attach a module to dial to the internet via 56k phoneline lolz and GSM 2-5k/sec lulz!

Thanks in advance!!!!
    Last edited by Maiev; 04-19-11 at 05:53 PM.
    04-19-11 05:50 PM
    two things i would want
    - have the computer read the playbook as an external drive without installing drivers
    Qwest, to your first point:

I have never connected my PlayBook to my home PC but I was able to type in \\192.168.1.x (IP address of the PlayBook) into the Windows Start bar and bring up my PlayBook file system after logging in. I had WiFi Internet file sharing turned on and set a password. No drivers or any cords. I'm copying some sample files to it right now strictly over WiFi.

Hope this helps.
    04-19-11 05:52 PM
    I want the bridge function to live up to its name and bridge my bb to the pb. I want to have access to the apps I have installed in my bb, or else its not really living up to its name "BB Amplified"
    04-19-11 05:52 PM
133 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD