OK it has been eerily quiet from the Crackberry team after the keynotes. You should have had time to talk to some RIM employees. We've been patiently and impatiently waiting for RIM to deliver Android and PIM and are well past the last deadline given and have been told 2.0 will be the answer. So the big question now for 2.0 is WHEN? Not looking for an exact date, but are we talking a couple weeks, couple months, after holidays?

Also what happened to the Cyclone, Calypso, and Beats devices leaked in the Wireless Giant roadmap in August? Any rumors flying around on those and their availability?

If your holding up some info for a soon to be release podcast, that's cool, just haven't heard that much so far.

Thanks.
    bcbbanga4l likes this.
    10-20-11 08:42 AM
    Well from the point of view of the users in this thread, OS 2 could take months to be released.
    10-20-11 08:46 AM
    Shortly after Devcon.

2 or 3 months.lol

tis a joke. lol
    10-20-11 08:47 AM
    They don't know. That's why they haven't said.

Jim stokes the investors...

Mike says/produces nothing...

Jim stokes the investors...

Mike says/produces nothing..

Repeat several times and you have the story of the playbook.

It was fun to dream... But back to reality we go...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    francois626 likes this.
    10-20-11 08:48 AM
    hey kobo just release another playbook copy (a la kindle fire). costs 200$ or so, but maybe with email.
    10-20-11 08:56 AM
    disappointment looms
    10-20-11 08:58 AM
    OK it has been eerily quiet from the Crackberry team after the keynotes. You should have had time to talk to some RIM employees. We've been patiently and impatiently waiting for RIM to deliver Android and PIM and are well past the last deadline given and have been told 2.0 will be the answer. So the big question now for 2.0 is WHEN? Not looking for an exact date, but are we talking a couple weeks, couple months, after holidays?

Also what happened to the Cyclone, Calypso, and Beats devices leaked in the Wireless Giant roadmap in August? Any rumors flying around on those and their availability?

If your holding up some info for a soon to be release podcast, that's cool, just haven't heard that much so far.

Thanks.
    fyi. Day 1 of devcon is geared to keynote speeches and announcements.

day 2 and 3 are all workshops and seminars which leaves little to announce.

besides, this is devcon developers convention, might not be exciting to you but to developers, lots of great news and tools to use to create apps and port android apps to the on.

os2 will come in time, this time, I'm going to guess rim will launch os2 with proper apps in place first, hence development tools released during devcon.
    10-20-11 09:19 AM
    besides, this is devcon developers convention, might not be exciting to you but to developers, lots of great news and tools to use to create apps and port android apps to the on.
    Yes but they announced Playbook last year at DevCon, and the 100 or so media blogger cameras that Kevin said were at the keynote expected something. Even Kevin apparently expected more based on the comments he made on the live blog. Also are developers supposed to develop apps for an OS that doesn't currently exist and let them sit on a RIM shelf until they release 2.0? I would expect RIM to be give a rough idea on when they need to be ready by or when they could possibly start using these cool new features that are OS2.0 specific.
    10-20-11 09:30 AM
    Yes but they announced Playbook last year at DevCon, and the 100 or so media blogger cameras that Kevin said were at the keynote expected something. Even Kevin apparently expected more based on the comments he made on the live blog. Also are developers supposed to develop apps for an OS that doesn't currently exist and let them sit on a RIM shelf until they release 2.0? I would expect RIM to be give a rough idea on when they need to be ready by or when they could possibly start using these cool new features that are OS2.0 specific.
    apple releases a newly designed iphone every 12 months...it's been 16 months so far from the last designed iphone. Just because it happened in the past doesn't mean it will happen in the future and given rims track record of the past, they better not repeat it.

there's been a lot of changes going on in upper management which means changes overall. Lets just pray the changes are for the good.

regarding the android ports, seems easy enough to do if people who are not developers on this forum can do it so hopefully this beta will be quick.
    10-20-11 09:37 AM
    OK it has been eerily quiet from the Crackberry team after the keynotes.
    Um, it's because they're ATTENDING SESSIONS? They can't be preparing posts and crafting news for you when they're actually getting the information live at the event... plus they WILL be networking / meeting people, possibly even being given demos that are indeed embargoed, so, just because you haven't heard anything from the CrackBerry team, don't read anything sinister into it.

I mean, come on. I'm not sure, but I seriously doubt the CrackBerry guys are being paid a whole lot to be there... other Web sites are all volunteer, the writers even have to pay for their own travel and accommodations... not sure about CB, but seriously: lighten up.
    10-20-11 09:42 AM
    Um, it's because they're ATTENDING SESSIONS? They can't be preparing posts and crafting news for you when they're actually getting the information live at the event... plus they WILL be networking / meeting people, possibly even being given demos that are indeed embargoed, so, just because you haven't heard anything from the CrackBerry team, don't read anything sinister into it.

I mean, come on. I'm not sure, but I seriously doubt the CrackBerry guys are being paid a whole lot to be there... other Web sites are all volunteer, the writers even have to pay for their own travel and accommodations... not sure about CB, but seriously: lighten up.
    I think you misunderstood the OPs tone...
    10-20-11 09:48 AM
    We've asked and asked about release dates but no RIM employee will even speculate on it.
    10-20-11 10:04 AM
    I believe the new OS 2.0, will be available by no later than the end of November.

One of the things people criticize the most, is the lack of apps available, and from what I understand, with the new tools available, it will be very simple and specially cost effective (I believe there are no costs) to port Android apps to OS 2.0.
    Well, as we all know, there are around 300K (or so they tell us) apps in the Android Market, and if 1/100 of the developers of these apps decide to port them to AppWorld, we will have a lot more available.

I think that RIM is holding back the release of OS 2.0, until they believe there is a sufficient number of apps in AppWorld, for everyone to be happy.

My opinion is, the OS 2.0 is ready to hit the streets, as soon as this happens, and as soon as the PB sitting on their shelves are upgraded with it.
    10-20-11 10:29 AM
    I think OS 2 will be rolled out at CES. Think about it the time frame makes sense about two months of beta testing and getting android apps ready. Yes they will miss the holidays but its RIM if they were really in a hurry we would have it already. Also I believe we could get an update to 1.9 before, during the keynote one of the speakers mentioned something about 1.9 in november. I will leave you to speculate what could be in it.

Also we could get a look at the Blackberry colt at CES. To me it just seems like a good time to announce everything to the world.
    10-20-11 11:00 AM
    We've asked and asked about release dates but no RIM employee will even speculate on it.
    Thanks Shao. Not the answer I was hoping for, but glad that an answer was being sought. Do they know that some people are upset about missing the "Summer" date and RIM's inability to deliver, or communicate about what's holding things up is extremely frustrating? Statements by the company's own CEO's aren't helping them out at all.
    Shadow_S2K and carlyincanada like this.
    10-20-11 11:17 AM
    Thanks. I hope it is in 2011. What do you think?
    10-20-11 11:23 AM
    Ok, I'll try to give some news, from what I've seen onscreen and by getting the beta and stuff.

*-* This is absolutely personal, I have no specific information, no contact or whatever *-*
    *-* INSTALL OS2 beta REQUIRES A GOOD LEVEL OF KNOWLEDGE IF YOU DON'T WANT TO LOOSE HOURS or DAYS *-*

What I hear/see day 1 of devcon on webcast
    1. RIM is pregnant, the baby is named BBX and will be ready to breathe by phone mid 2012.
    2. The Playbook got its OS (UI) highly lifted: no more tabs, and a sort of "home carousel" of (preferred) icons.
    3. Yes, I read BB Cloud services on a template, even if I did not clearly hear it (but I was not 100% devcon focussed)
    4. Yes, it runs andro�d apps, it seems even that the conversion to appworld is a snap.
    5. Yes HTML5 has a BIG place in BBX, so do many open-source frameworks
    6. Game is a demonstration flagship , but also a big market: major publisher are here, major game-development platforms now embed PB compability.

What I've found playing with 2.0 beta
    - No I've not seen or tested auto-spell, printing, dlna, BT audio ...
    - The UI is really great (no tabs, but can create folders), more flexible, better animation, layout ... bref, du tout bon.
    - I'm not a BB nor Andro�d developer (I'm a web developer) but - thanks to erandhawa & the guys who gave us hours of their work - it's a two minutes job to get a couple of android apps that could make some crying babes happier to live (when we know they'll probably never use them more than the capabilities natively offered by the PB OS). Another browser, a separate email client, an office suite, a game, a file browser with network support, even Wordpress client. Right, ok, it works, quite smoothly.
    - Locked : bridge, camera (photo & video) functions
    [I've even seen things you wouldn't believe, somewhere in the guts of the machine, on the dark side ... (thanks to levidehaan.]

So what ?
    Igottafeelin' [and then you go 'ouhhhouhhh' lol] :
    This remains unpolished, while usable; so, it won't last, full or partial (OS 1.1.9 ?).
    But it will and it will rock. When ? let' say before then end of the year.
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-20-11 at 11:40 AM.
    10-20-11 11:29 AM
    Seems like the projected date is around xmas... So actual date should be around start of summer 2012..
    FF22 likes this.
    10-20-11 11:39 AM

Thanks.
    It does seem odd that Kevin and the CB Gang have been silent, odd but not unexpected. From what the room looked and felt like during the keynote rants I didn't expect much.

I think the Devs got some great tools and added incentives to produce apps, but I didn't see anyone really going "WOW!". I thought the feeling/air in the room were subdued, withdrawn, awkward, big elephant in the room and uncomfortable. No electricity, no excitement.

We have seen Kevin during and after these events. Mostly bouncing off the walls and spewing, with great excitement, all that was good and "sweet".

No sweet this time?

It had to be somewhat disappointing to him as I remember him talking about DevCon during or shortly after BB World in Orlando. What should be and could be done and ready/presented according to RIM and public speculation/predictions.

It's not his fault that very little came out of DevCon for the average Joe. RIM needs the apps, they need the OS, they need the PR, they need the investors, they need the carriers, they need their lawyers, they need luck and most all they new new blood, ideas and ability to "Get it done and done right".

Tim
    carlyincanada likes this.
    10-20-11 11:57 AM
    Psychologically, people will communicate more often about good, exciting, or any optimistic information they receive. They will communicate less or not at all about information that is negative or embarrassing.

With that in mind and the fact that developers have communicated very little information, the assumption is obvious.
    Huot likes this.
    10-20-11 11:58 AM
    As someone who has now played with beta 2.0 and installed a bunch of Android apps I can say now it wasn't released because it's not ready and they would be skewered by the press if they released in its current state.

More details.

Positives:
    - The UI, once you get used to it, is a step up. Folder creation is very nice, and the flexibility of the tabless tabs is nice to have. I like the favourites dock.
    - Notifications are coming together. I noticed when downloading files in my Android browser that I got notification when they were complete.
    - Android integration is much better than it was back in the summer. At least the keyboard is the same and there's the ability to run multiple apps.
    - Docs to go is much more functional if only for being able to cut/copy/paste columns and run a decent array of forumulas in sheets to go, and being able to format text and paragraphs (bullets/numbering, etc) in docs to go. This is a HUGE step up for me.

Negatives:

- No autocorrect
    - No A2DP
    - No native email or PIM (see next comment, if current build is like Android integration, I understand the delay)
    - Some Bridge functionality in the apps lost (e.g., can't choose to download pictures in mail messages anymore).
    - Android integration is very buggy and far from finished/seamless. For a final product for which the press won't crush them, the integration has to be seamless. Same style of gestures, task switching, interface, etc. Currently, especially running a Launcher, it looks/feels/acts like Android not a Playbook. This has to change. Also apps crash all the time or don't lauch, or launch and hang, etc. This is perfectly fine for beta usage (and I'm quite happy with it for my use), but it is totally unacceptable for a consumer release.

Bottom line, it's not ready. It's almost perfect for my use though (I need Skype, WebEx, wav compatibility, and improved email/calendar functionality) and getting better with each release.
    trsbbs likes this.
    10-20-11 12:04 PM
    If OS 2.0 isn't coming out till after Christmas, then why bother. Why not next April and launch the new playbook 2. The CEO's role shouldn't be split, for the good of the company they should be replaced all together. We need someone that can hold a cohesive vision and execute in a timely manner.
    carlyincanada and FF22 like this.
    10-20-11 12:43 PM
    As someone who has now played with beta 2.0 and installed a bunch of Android apps I can say now it wasn't released because it's not ready and they would be skewered by the press if they released in its current state.

More details.

Positives:
    - The UI, once you get used to it, is a step up. Folder creation is very nice, and the flexibility of the tabless tabs is nice to have. I like the favourites dock.
    - Notifications are coming together. I noticed when downloading files in my Android browser that I got notification when they were complete.
    - Android integration is much better than it was back in the summer. At least the keyboard is the same and there's the ability to run multiple apps.
    - Docs to go is much more functional if only for being able to cut/copy/paste columns and run a decent array of forumulas in sheets to go, and being able to format text and paragraphs (bullets/numbering, etc) in docs to go. This is a HUGE step up for me.

Negatives:

- No autocorrect
    - No A2DP
    - No native email or PIM (see next comment, if current build is like Android integration, I understand the delay)
    - Some Bridge functionality in the apps lost (e.g., can't choose to download pictures in mail messages anymore).
    - Android integration is very buggy and far from finished/seamless. For a final product for which the press won't crush them, the integration has to be seamless. Same style of gestures, task switching, interface, etc. Currently, especially running a Launcher, it looks/feels/acts like Android not a Playbook. This has to change. Also apps crash all the time or don't lauch, or launch and hang, etc. This is perfectly fine for beta usage (and I'm quite happy with it for my use), but it is totally unacceptable for a consumer release.

Bottom line, it's not ready. It's almost perfect for my use though (I need Skype, WebEx, wav compatibility, and improved email/calendar functionality) and getting better with each release.
    thats the most ive read yet from a developer. it sure is discouraging that the list of cons is longer then the list of pros not including your bottom line. Thank you for the info.
    10-20-11 12:52 PM
    I am wondering if Kevin and the rest of the team know more then they are saying and are just under a NDA?
    10-20-11 12:59 PM
    From everything I have read, the OS 2.0 Beta released this week still has a massive amount of work to do before it is ready for public release. RIM already stumbled with the original OS and device release - lots of bugs. It took a solid four or six months to have the critical bugs worked out - mostly. You still can't rename a browser bookmark or even set the timeout for more than 5 minutes. These were issues noted on day 1 that still exist.

It sure sounds like OS2 is a bit of a mess right now. RIM would be better off waiting another 6 months to get it right than to release something now that will only frustrate the masses.
    easydoesit99 likes this.
    10-20-11 01:07 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD