Calling team CrackBerry!!!! If we can get Blackberry to enable the FM tuner on these bad boys this tablet would make for the untimate in-car infotainment! It would also result in a higher resale value for those stuck with them. Personally if we can pull this off we can keep the PlayBook out of the same sentance as the BlackBerry Storm.

Kevin, Bla1ze, Adam! We need your help!

This could also spark a ton of sales for the Crackberry Store (Din kits etc..)

While we're at at maybe we can get the dev team to bring over bridge for android/ios
    and or
    BlackBerry Maps from BB10
    Last edited by XP7051V3; 02-26-14 at 01:58 PM.
    02-26-14 12:04 PM
    I'd be happy if I could just use this forum with my PlayBook!

Posted via CB10
    02-26-14 12:56 PM
    Does PB have the appropriate hardware for an FM Tuner? I didn't think so. . .Z10 doesn't even have the hardware for it.
    pblakeney likes this.
    02-26-14 01:08 PM
    Yes the TI OMAP 4430 supports this.
    02-26-14 01:12 PM
    If the PlayBook actually has the specs to make this possible, I'm all for it. My life is all about my two tablets (PlayBook & iPad Mini). I use both daily. If the PlayBook had FM... I might end up using that tablet more than 50% of the time.

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums mobile app
    Main Devices: 64 GB WiFi BlackBerry PlayBook | 64 GB LTE iPad Mini
    02-26-14 02:10 PM
    Wasn't it due to the fact that radio is garbage that lead to the invention of the 8 track tape? Isn't FM radio directly responsible for the sale of a gazillion Ipods? Who would want to listen to that on a playbook when you have Spotify, Slacker, Songza, Jango etc.

If you want to listen to some DJ rattle on about nothing and 30 minutes of commericals for every 20 minutes of music, most lame radio stations have a webplayer to listen live.

I dont' see how this adds value to the playbook. Kinda like adding a cube flash for the camera.I would expect most people interested in using the playbook in the car is so they don't have to put up with FM radio.

Could just be me................it usually is.
    02-26-14 02:14 PM
    Wasn't it due to the fact that radio is garbage that lead to the invention of the 8 track tape? Isn't FM radio directly responsible for the sale of a gazillion Ipods? Who would want to listen to that on a playbook when you have Spotify, Slacker, Songza, Jango etc.

If you want to listen to some DJ rattle on about nothing and 30 minutes of commericals for every 20 minutes of music, most lame radio stations have a webplayer to listen live.

I dont' see how this adds value to the playbook. Kinda like adding a cube flash for the camera.I would expect most people interested in using the playbook in the car is so they don't have to put up with FM radio.

I mostly listen to MP3s on both of my tablets. I also listen to (and watch) a lot of streaming media. But, for times when I'm away from WiFi, or don't want to use the connection, a FM tuner would be a nice touch. It would also be nice to have an extra radio around for times of emergency.

Cynycl likes this.
    02-26-14 02:19 PM
    I mostly listen to MP3s on both of my tablets. I also listen to (and watch) a lot of streaming media. But, for times when I'm away from WiFi, or don't want to use the connection, a FM tuner would be a nice touch. It would also be nice to have an extra radio around for times of emergency.

I hadn't considered that. A battery powered emergency radio. Nice.

Ok, I'm all for it now
    02-26-14 02:33 PM
    Would love FM radio on the PB!
    02-26-14 05:26 PM
    I'm all for anything that makes my PlayBook anything more than a paperweight with 64gb of storage.
    James Nieves likes this.
    02-26-14 08:47 PM
    +1

This be awesome, hate mobile needs headphones for FM...
    02-26-14 11:24 PM
    RIM made sure the PlayBook became the ultimate paper weight by not backing their customers.
    02-27-14 04:35 AM
    Let's hope that changes now there's a new guy in charge!

PlayBook UK BBM Channel C001CB4A1
    02-27-14 10:11 AM

i can't remember the last time i actually listened to broadacast radio,,, for the same reasons,,, i've got 18 hrs of music on my phone,,, stay creative tho,,, that's what we do here...
    02-27-14 10:46 AM
    I love my PlayBook

I mostly watch you tube and buy stuff off Amazon

Posted via CB10
    Cafeina likes this.
    02-27-14 06:28 PM
    @Leojzueg I like the YouTube experience on my PlayBook over any desktop or app. :-)

Sent from my iPad or BlackBerry using Tapatalk
    02-27-14 07:34 PM
    I support this because it is my 100th post. You may abuse me for the blatant drop.

=-)
    Carl Estes likes this.
    03-18-14 08:13 PM
    FM radio???? Really?

Can't wait for more commercials and senseless DJ ramblings.

1970 here we come
    Carl Estes likes this.
    03-18-14 09:36 PM
    FM radio???? Really?

1970 here we come
    Well, others clearly want it. Feel free to ignore.
    Carl Estes and Cynycl like this.
    03-19-14 08:09 AM
    Well, others clearly want it. Feel free to ignore.
    Only if we can get WKRP in Cincinatti...........

c
    Cynycl and Cafeina like this.
    03-19-14 08:49 AM
    I think most are confused here. Correct me if I'm wrong OP, but you are referring to FM out, vs FM Radio In? As in, it would be nice to set your in car radio to for example: 107.7, set the Playbook to 107.7 broadcast, thus allowing the music on the PB to port through the car stero and blast out the speakers. Much like most GPS units provide.
    03-19-14 11:32 AM
    I don't think he is referring to FM out. He mentions the FM Tuner.

FM transmission isn't a great way to listen to music. It is very compressed.
    Carl Estes and anon(5597702) like this.
    03-20-14 06:39 AM
    FM radio???? Really?

1970 here we come
    You're going senile baby.
    You gave your opinion on the shortcomings of FM nearly a month ago.
    Cynycl and anon(5597702) like this.
    03-20-14 06:40 AM
    I don't think he is referring to FM out. He mentions the FM Tuner.

FM transmission isn't a great way to listen to music. It is very compressed.
    "FM Out" is usually referenced as "FM Tuner" in most GPS devices, hence my inquiry for clarification. If OP is wanting FM radio, to each their own. Could be useful I suppose.
    03-21-14 11:09 AM

ah this makes me appreciate BBC Radio 2,3 & 4 so much I hate the local commercial radio stations for exactly the reason you give!
    03-21-14 11:29 AM